Quick Questions

Turning 27 on Saturday and I'm thinking about getting FI for an all day war game binge session. I played the demo of FI and RT last year and thinking FI will be my first entry into the CM series! 

How do campaigns work? In the demo, I only had access to a few scenarios. Is there some kind of overview map? 

Thanks guys! 

Welcome to the forum. CMFI is a great choice to get into the CM series.

Campaigns usually have an overview before you get to the first battle. So once you read that overview, you'd be taken to the first scenario, which would have its own overview but for that battle only.

Hope that helps!

A campaign is a series of linked battles that will include some, or all, of a set of core units, plus other supporting units may or may not be present in any given battle.  There isn't one giant map that you can look at for the whole campaign, but you can look at the map for each battle normally.

Between battles, depending on how the designer sets it up, units may receive supplies, replacements, and make repairs, or they may not, so you really have to try to achieve your goal with minimal casualties.

There are many good campaigns among the various CMx2 titles and they provide a lot of immersion and enjoyment in a single player setting. 

Once you have FI for a while, (and hopefully you'll want to get the other titles) you will want to play against other human beings.  It is an order of magnitude more fun than playing against the AI.

I believe that versions have to be matched. You can play against someone who doesn't have the Gustav Line module, with some care, but I don't believe one player can be on 3.0 and the other on 2.x.

However, give the cost of the 3.0 upgrade being quite low, I think most people you're going to encounter will have upgraded to 3.0.

The community is quite active for PBEM. There is a subforum here for those looking for play-partners.

A few Good Men is another site largely devoted to CM games.

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/

As is We Band of Brothers.

If you're active on the forums here (and many people are so they can get help when new to CM) you'll quickly run into folks that seems like good opponents. :)

Edit: forgot your first question - multiplayer is for most of us exchanging files via Dropbox. It's easy, convenient and since you take your turn and then the other person takes theirs, you don't have to worry too much about being online together at the same time. Real time is an option but I've never done it.

Edited by Bud_B

If I buy the 3.0 upgrade can I not play with 2.0 players?

Sorry, I just noticed this question or I would have answered it in my last post.

Answer: Sorta. If the person with the 3.0 upgrade wants to make a separate 2.0 install then yes you should be able to play together. With that said, in my experience anyone who is active in multiplayer will, at the least, be upgraded to the latest version (and will probably own all modules, packs, etc.).

To play H2H both players need to be playing with the same version. While it is true PBEM players tend to keep up to date that has to happen in a controlled manner so players often have multiple versions of the games installed. When a patch or upgrade arrives I always make a copy of my current game and patch the copied directory. Then I finish my ongoing games with the older version and start new ones with the patched version. Sometimes opponents agree to update an ongoing game sometimes not. Once I have no games being played on the old version I delete it.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the 3.0 upgrade! Great stuff so far, I'm supprised how fast I was able to crank up the diffcult, but I have been just playing single battles. 

The game is really fun in scenarios against the AI, but it truly shines in PBEM against a human. Humans do things the AI is not possible to program to do. :)

Did a 2hr hotseat battle with Churchill AVREs and infantry, it was ridiculously fun but took hours and hours.

I did that once in a 30 min battle and that took forever. Can't imagine doing it with 4x the length! That's why I stick to PBEM. :)

Edited by Bud_B

I'd love an opponent. Went to the Few Good Men site, could not find any games for FI. Def something I will look into with some more time. Thabks for the help.

At FGM there are threads for CM games, and I think people post PBEM opponent wanted "ads" there.

Right here:

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/forums/combat-mission-x-2-cmbn-cmfi-cmrt-add-ons.160/

Also there is an opponent finder thread in these forums too.

Right here:

http://community.battlefront.com/forum/60-english/

I'd take you on in a game but I'm overloaded right now, but those links should help you. :)