How Protected Are Tanks Behind Bocage?

"Some". It's "Some" better. Tall Bocage is certainly far better concealment, though by no means conferring invisibility on your tank if the tank can see to shoot through. The berm of the Bocage is pretty much impervious to fire, and the Tall Bocage berm is probably as tall as a low wall, though I feel the Low Bocage berm only really gives hard cover to prone troops. One thing to be clear on is whether there are trees sprouting out of the Bocage line. In "Show nearby Trunks only" mode, it's easy to miss some kinds of trees in hedges, and the trunks do provide substantial protection.

Your lurking tank will have an advantage. It is literally impossible to quantify that advantage in any general sense, since we cannot measure the pertinent conditions accurately enough. You might be able to address a specific matchup (range, equipment, soft factors, environment) statistically, given enough patience and repetitions.

High Bocage generally stop HEAT rounds (unless pieces of you tank, like the barrel, are poking through the bushes), but other than that, it' s nothing but concealment. Imagine a tank poking it' s barrel through a large bush, that' s about as much concealment as Boacage gives you.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-738-0275-09A,_Bei

The biggest issue is getting the tank behind the bocage to spot the target. You've got to experiment and find the location which gives a good TARGET line.

I found, in the past, that "parallel parking" next to the bocage and giving a covered arc (turret pointed through the foliage) usually gave me better spotting.

See what works for you.

I found, in the past, that "parallel parking" next to the bocage and giving a covered arc (turret pointed through the foliage) usually gave me better spotting.

That also helps if you need to move quickly, you don't have to wait for the driver to turn the hull, you can just go full speed ahead.

Now, don't get me wrong: I -try- to protect my men, but they shrug off my efforts and demand to storm the enemy to prove their worth to me. It's a burden, but I carry it without complaint. In fact, I tell my men I envy them the ease with which they so willingly give up their pathetic, drab, pointless little lives for me. Sigh.

:)

Ken