Watching through the whole battle omnisciently

One frustration with CM for me has always been that thanks to fog of war I have often found it difficult to know what happened even after the whole game is over. Might I request an option to watch the whole battle end to end from the POV of any unit and/or with total unit visibility? Probably a FAQ I know...

One frustration with CM for me has always been that thanks to fog of war I have often found it difficult to know what happened even after the whole game is over. Might I request an option to watch the whole battle end to end from the POV of any unit and/or with total unit visibility? Probably a FAQ I know...

Unless you record with a 3rd party program during the game, no there is no way to review the action consistently. You could save the save files and load them to watch what happened however, it would be very tedious though.

Looking back there are actually two different things people are looking for – one is something more or less cinematic which would be difficult to do and one (my primary objective) which is more interactive and maybe easier to accomplish. I want to be able to look back through the battle primarily so I can find out what went on – dipping in and out of the battle looking at it from both sides - not so that I could make an attractive AAR (although that would be nice too, I guess).

I am guessing that one could do something like that by opening saved game files – has anybody produced an add-on to make that easier? Or a guide? If you are playing against the AI is it possible to open their files easily?

No tools that I know of exist for helping with that.  The AI has no files so there is no way to see things from their perspective. You can play in Scenario Design mode so you can see the AI orders but that is not really how you want to play a battle.

What you want is not there now.  Given the list of features and titles that have been requested all of which I am sure will be given a higher priority I just don't see something like this getting implemented any time soon.  Unless an easy way to do it is discovered but my recollection (but I cannot find the post) is that Steve said they did look at this and it is a lot of work and presents some significant challenges.

Looking back there are actually two different things people are looking for – one is something more or less cinematic which would be difficult to do and one (my primary objective) which is more interactive and maybe easier to accomplish. I want to be able to look back through the battle primarily so I can find out what went on – dipping in and out of the battle looking at it from both sides - not so that I could make an attractive AAR (although that would be nice too, I guess).

Actually, it's the interactivity that's the hard part. A 2 hour FRAPS capture from a single viewpoint would just be a two-hour video. Retaining all the information so that you can go back and change view as well as fast forward and rewind is the hard part. If that's ever cracked, pushing back the fog of war so you can see everything the AI did shouldn't be too much of an extension.

The problem with using save game files is that they often take longer to open than they do to watch. And you'd have to reload if you wanted to go back past the top of a minute. Maybe you could buffer a minute either side, but look at the memory requirements of the game in its replay phase...

I haven't noticed any significant loading problem with saved game files but I am using a modern MacBook Pro with SSD memory instead of a hard disk. What you describe – buffering a minute either side and just being able to switch from side to side in the replay and turn off fog of war is all I'd really want.

I agree that the OP's suggestion would be nice, but personally I'd settle for less: The ability to load a previously saved game file in a sort of "scenario designer-ish" mode, so you'd be able to review the game without FOW. Perhaps this could be done by the game releasing some sort of "unlock code" once the scenario is finished and the AAR screen occurs.

Personally, I wouldn't mind having to reload every one minute turn. I probably woulndn't want to watch every turn anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

That's a shame about the replay option especially since games like Wargame AirLand Battle and Red Dragon have a auto replay save function, even in MP. However I would imagine their budget is significantly bigger than battlefronts. But we can dream.

That's a shame about the replay option especially since games like Wargame AirLand Battle and Red Dragon have a auto replay save function, even in MP. However I would imagine their budget is significantly bigger than battlefronts. But we can dream.

Their budget and teams are significantly bigger, and their games significantly less complex.

But Charles is a coding genius, so we can, indeed, dream.