Review entire battle?

I realize that you can make videos using FRAPS and the like, but is it possible to view the whole battle (ie all turns strung together?) you've just played from within the game? I'm talking about WEGO here.

And if not wouldn't it be a cool feature? Seems like it should be fairly straightforward, but I guess there would be HDD space issues

This would be a very major change, and you would still have a truckload of editing to do, what scene now ? How do I make the blendover ? Can I move the Viewpoint dynamically ? Can I record the Cameraviewpoint path ? Can I rotate the camera during the path around all axes ? Is there something better then a mouse to control the camera ? Can I save some typical camera pathes ? Can I also save the Zooming ?

That's a truckload of coding AND afterwards to edit your battle.......hours, days, weeks...dreaming is nice..until reality comes in....

But for now just save the replay phases. In my current AI Batallion+ sized battle I usually need around 10 minutes to review the replay and another 5 to plan the next minute..., and I'm only defending. Lately I reviewed an old replay now in 2.0 Version I used 30 minutes to review all the action, better then anything I saw in Cinema....

Perhaps it could just be a "connector file" that threads all previously saved turns into one extended file? So, you would have one for each side (ie, each player would have their side's only).

So, for example, you play a 60-turn game. You have saves for each of those 60 turns. At the end of the game, CM generates the connector file for you. That allows you to view the whole 60 turns in one file using the playback controls as you would now, but with 60 minutes of play encompassing the whole game from your side, instead of one minute per saved game turn.

Then, if you want to make a video, you would use FRAPS, etc. to capture what you want as you zip around in the whole 60 minutes using your standard CM playback controls. That's still a whole lot easier than dealing with 60 individual game turns across sixty files.

I do some AAR's on my youtube channel, just because I want to learn how to use video editing tools. All I can say it's a time consuming process going from WeGO into a fluid battle replay. A Total War-esque replay system you be amazing for CM.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ithikial/videos?view=0&flow=grid

Perhaps it could just be a "connector file" that threads all previously saved turns into one extended file?

+1 to that. It would be a good start if we had two additional buttons that would allow us to jump to the next minute (if that save exists). This would load the next minute. Proceed as usual. Would smooth the review procedure very much.

Hmm, maybe add a 'jump to minute' button, too. :)

This would be a very major change, and you would still have a truckload of editing to do, what scene now ? How do I make the blendover ? Can I move the Viewpoint dynamically ? Can I record the Cameraviewpoint path ? Can I rotate the camera during the path around all axes ? Is there something better then a mouse to control the camera ? Can I save some typical camera pathes ? Can I also save the Zooming ?

That's a truckload of coding AND afterwards to edit your battle.......hours, days, weeks...dreaming is nice..until reality comes in....

But for now just save the replay phases. In my current AI Batallion+ sized battle I usually need around 10 minutes to review the replay and another 5 to plan the next minute..., and I'm only defending. Lately I reviewed an old replay now in 2.0 Version I used 30 minutes to review all the action, better then anything I saw in Cinema....

What I wanted was really just to review the overall flow of the battle at the end - even from just one, elevated view point.