Full replay some thoughts

i do not know if this would be possible but i had this idea some days ago so:

to get a full replay i have to save turn after turn in the replay phase. and if i want to watch it i would have to open one file after the other. so my question is would it be possible to combine all this saved files. the file size would be huge but hd movie files are huge as well so this would not be a problem for me. maybe loading times would be very very long but i think it would be worth to wait half an hour or longer. maybe ram would be a problem.

so what do you think? would it be possible to make such a tool (for bf)?

i do not know if this would be possible but i had this idea some days ago so:

to get a full replay i have to save turn after turn in the replay phase. and if i want to watch it i would have to open one file after the other. so my question is would it be possible to combine all this saved files. the file size would be huge but hd movie files are huge as well so this would not be a problem for me. maybe loading times would be very very long but i think it would be worth to wait half an hour or longer. maybe ram would be a problem.

so what do you think? would it be possible to make such a tool (for bf)?

There are half a dozen more efficient ways of doing this. Having 120 turns of a 2 hour battle loaded all at once would kill pretty much any machine, I'd imagine.

Heck has anyone figured a way to record the replay (not using FRAPS, since I have a Mac)? I'd happily stitch them together if I knew how to record the action itself.

Once you've recorded the action, though, you've fixed the viewpoint, and much of the charm and value of replay is lost.

Heck has anyone figured a way to record the replay (not using FRAPS, since I have a Mac)? I'd happily stitch them together if I knew how to record the action itself.

Use the Quicktime Player. Shift-Apple-N will start a new recording. This does however only record what comes in through MIC. If you loop LINE-OUT to MIC then it works. Theres also third party software for that.

There are half a dozen more efficient ways of doing this. Having 120 turns of a 2 hour battle loaded all at once would kill pretty much any machine, I'd imagine.

i am almost sure you are right but if we could get just 10 minutes of nonstop replay it would be great.

i am wondering if the replay files and the command phase files are different

Wish they would somehow be able to adopt the process that IL 2 Sturmovik used, which allowed total replay of the battle, no matter how long it was. I'm no sure exactly the difference with CMBN and other game replay types, but essentially the game copied the computations/calculations the game processed, rather than copying the completed visuals of the turn or something like that. It would result in the occasional mismatch of what happened in the game and what it showed in playback (for example, your aircraft might be in a slightly different location in relation to the craft you shot down, and the tracers would be hitting thin air instead of the target), but it was a small price to pay for complete playback from any camera angle.

What I don't understand is when I play a scenario I save every movie turn and keep it for awhile. After an hour I have 60 saves and it is not even a dent in todays cheap, large harddrives so why would resources be an issue?

I would LOVE to watch my hour long continous war movie as I zoom around the battlefield.

And why do you think this will be cumulative?

Because this:

...my question is would it be possible to combine all this saved files....

is the question that was asked.

And the game files once loaded into the engine are a couple of orders of magnitude larger than they are on disk.

Hmmm, I still don't see storage as an impediment, I have 2 TB in my system currently, and 1 TB external. I could easily double or triple that w/o giving it a 2nd thought, I just currently have any no reason to.

So, when you say orders of magnitude, my response to that would be, so...

Or is the problem here then the game engine can't handle it? In which case a separate program would have to be devised to connect them all together for play back?

Because this:

is the question that was asked.

And the game files once loaded into the engine are a couple of orders of magnitude larger than they are on disk.

Yeah, you know somehow I don't think it'll add up all the polygons for all tress for 120 moves at once if you combine the savefiles.

As well as Poesel's suggestion about Quicktime, you can use Screenflow. It's expensive but I think worth it. You can collect multiple captures, edit them, include transitions and text etc, decide whether to capture the computer audio or a mic, and so on. When capturing you can choose to not include the cursor. After the capture you can easily crop it. Finally it lets you export in a multitude of ways.

I like to make little movies of CM battles without including the user interface, Screenflow does that very well. Mind you, prepare to give up multiple GBs of drive space if you want to capture a whole battle :)

Yeah, you know somehow I don't think it'll add up all the polygons for all tress for 120 moves at once if you combine the savefiles.

Sure, you could have it do something different with successive additive game files, but that's (an element of) one of the half dozen more efficient ways of doing it beyond "loading all the game files". Neither you nor I knows what's going on in the engine.

It definitely would be cool, but I have a “FOLLOW” command on my most priority list. Replays were one of the great features Sudden Strike had. I would record multiplayer games and watch later. The great thing was you could freely move the camera during it so you could see your game from different perspectives, and also see how your teammates played.

The argument that the replay would be too resource hungry doesn't convince me:

1. Instead of a fixed full battle replay, 10 minute chunks, or user-definable replay durations, could avoid that.

2. Each single one minute replay needs to load all terrain and unit data.

But continuous files would not need that status data, since the previous action has updated the data anyway. Only the first file would need all the data, the rest of the files would only need to contain the updated information (= action).

I guess the pure action data is only a fraction of the whole filesize.

If a pre-rendering data extraction module could extract the update-data from the savefiles, the resulting files should be of considerably smaller sizes.