MRSI capable arty?

quincy

I was just wondering if there was any gun in the game capable of MRSI (multiple rounds, simultaneous impact). It would just add another notch to the deadliness. I mean wouldn't it be impressive to have let's say 10 rounds from 2 tubes hitting simultaneously?

quincy,

If you want MRSI straight up you must wait for the Germans and their marvelous PzH 2000 to be added to CMBS. As a student of TOT as performed during WW II, the notion of being able to do that from a single SPH verges on incomprehensible. 

Until that happy day arrives, though, maybe we can get the major M109 upgrades described here. Meanwhile, this is where the Paladin's going as it becomes the M109A7 or Paladin PIM.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Realistically speaking - Russian 2S19M2 SPGs (which are present in SFBS) have a fire control system that allows for MRSI missions. However, artillery is pretty abstracted in this game right now; so I am not sure that focusing on simulating MRSI is worth the effort...

DreDay,

There appears to be some sort of a disconnect. Military-Today is saying the 2S19 can't do MRSI shoots. A Dutch defense business site says no M109 legacy system can do MRSI Indeed, it's not at all clear, from what I've read, that the Paladin II M109A7 PIM will do MRSI, either. Certainly, nothing I saw in an article on it so much as hinted it could. JonS, a former (?) Redleg, i.e., US Army  artilleryman, seems to be saying even the early M109 could do MRSI. Seems to me that maybe this comes down to the difference between the theoretical ability, based on a lot of a priori planning, to conduct a one gun (or larger) shoot this way, perhaps from a pre-surveyed site, vs the routine practice of MRSI by the always knows where it is PzH 2000, which comes into position within 30 seconds, fires its mini TOT, and splits. I really would like to know which artillery system can or can't do what.

Regards,

John Kettler

very nice.. was something I never heard of and I don't consider myself all that ignorant on the subject..

Although a Paladin "fan" I must say the pzh-2000 really has the crown when it comes to spa imho..

anyway, I doubt something like MRSI would be allowed by the CM current engine

Why would CM have to model this specifically?  Why not just increase the number of tubes firing.  Artillery as a unit is so heavily abstracted, would you notice the difference?

If you were really watching hard, you'd notice the shells fly in on three or four different trajectories. Other than that, no impact.

• 2 weeks later...

DreDay,

There appears to be some sort of a disconnect. Military-Today is saying the 2S19 can't do MRSI shoots. A Dutch defense business site says no M109 legacy system can do MRSI Indeed, it's not at all clear, from what I've read, that the Paladin II M109A7 PIM will do MRSI, either. Certainly, nothing I saw in an article on it so much as hinted it could. JonS, a former (?) Redleg, i.e., US Army  artilleryman, seems to be saying even the early M109 could do MRSI. Seems to me that maybe this comes down to the difference between the theoretical ability, based on a lot of a priori planning, to conduct a one gun (or larger) shoot this way, perhaps from a pre-surveyed site, vs the routine practice of MRSI by the always knows where it is PzH 2000, which comes into position within 30 seconds, fires its mini TOT, and splits. I really would like to know which artillery system can or can't do what.

Regards,

John Kettler

John,

Please note that I am reffering to 2S19M2 upgrade, rather than standard 2S19 SPA piece when speaking about MRSI capability. That particular upgrade is supposed to introduce MRSI (not sure what the Russian term is) capability.  Again though, I don't particularly care about the MRSI missions in CMBS; as artillery missions are pretty abstracted right now, and 2S19M2 seems to be powerfull enough already.

Well,  I think with MRSI in game you would get a bigger bang for the buck. With the points cost of a single unit you would have 5 tubes at once. The main advantage of mrsi is the simultaneous impact part. And this would be reflected by game mechanics, right? It would negate the effect of troops taking cover.

By the way does anyone know how many guns can impact simultaneously in the game atm?

Edited by quincy

But how many explosion can you have in the same second ? It said somewhere that PzH2000 can place 5 incoming rounds in a 1,2 sec window. Is that sth that can be reproduced in the game atm?

I am no programmer of this game, but I would say it's possible by all means.

By the way, this sounds really like a perfect additional feature for a module containing that kind of new asset.

The largest battery in game now has 6 gun tubes.

Edited by Kieme(ITA)

But how many explosion can you have in the same second ? It said somewhere that PzH2000 can place 5 incoming rounds in a 1,2 sec window. Is that sth that can be reproduced in the game atm?

Test it - make a scenario and buy 5 pices of artillery. Start the battle and pre-plan those five with one tube each with point target. Post the results. :)

Well,  I think with MRSI in game you would get a bigger bang for the buck. With the points cost of a single unit you would have 5 tubes at once. The main advantage of mrsi is the simultaneous impact part. And this would be reflected by game mechanics, right? It would negate the effect of troops taking cover.

By the way does anyone know how many guns can impact simultaneously in the game atm?

Just tested: functionally unlimited. You can bring down all the barrels of twelve batteries' worth of artillery at once, which is more than you'll get during any reasonable scenario.

Edited by Apocal