If I make a scenario, can I "lock" pre-planned artillery?

Was wondering if it's possible to make a mission where you have to assault an enemy strongpoint, and given artillery - but with the artillery mission set by the designer and not changeable by the player.

This would represent the decisions of higher-ups and the player would have to accept that and work with it, even if the artillery mission could theoretically have been spent better.

Ahh, I think I know the "unorthodox way" to do this. Simply supply the game with the first turn already spent. Obviously that means that the player will not have a setup, and it means that AI enemy will only have 1 plan, unless you supply different versions running different plans.

That is part of it.

In a nutshell, this is how I would do it. 

I don't know any details yet but I assume the AI is the defender at this "enemy strongpoint" and this forum is what CMBN? I had to check!

So the axis has the strongpoint I would again assume until corrected.

For discussion purposes, let us say the battle starts at 0600. 

Allies get FO(s) and off-map assets as he decides. Then start the scenario and set your immediate, 5 ,10 and 15 barrages as he desires.

Shells landing at 0600, 0605, 0610 and 0615.

Exit off the FO's. Don't bring any platoon leader or above on until R1=15minutes or later. 

You could hand off the saved game file and have the human player in control at 0601 or 0602.

With some other efforts you could have KIA allied troops there where the previous attacks failed, if you wanted.

He asked how it could be done and that is how it could be done.

EDIT: For set-up, you can provide a defacto set-up if you have enough forces on the map at start when player has control but he has enough time to get them more or less positioned as he desires before he must cross the line of departure. You could even beam in the platoon leaders and company commander, XO, etc. to a certain place to signify the "O-group" had adjourned. 

2nd EDIT: For a defensive AI, even with just 1 plan you can milk out some nice variety by having R groups with wide time spans. An extra sniper here or there that beams in. And a new trick is a mesh of action squares for enemy AI trigger. As you approach and hit the tripwire, it will cause different timings based on where you are. Some variety in 1 plan if that was a big deal in the scheme of things...

I hope he gives it a try.

Edited by kohlenklau

Funny enough, I am struggling with this very issue for my first scenario for my Hill 192 map.  I am leaning towards convincing the allied player to put in the barrage himself, scout's honour.  It would be very nice to have more flexibility on the preplanned barrage timings, as even the savegame workaround described above only takes one out to 15 minutes. 

For the assault I am trying to re-create, the Amis had a barrage line that lifted 100 yards every 5 minutes.  For the length of map I am working with, that means I need 7 seperate spaced barrages.

But I worry that this is too much micro-management for the average player.  I essentially need to use the designer's notes to tell the player exactly how to lay the barrage, including how to make the various types of arty present fire a barrage that lasts just about exactly 5 minutes, so as to fit in with the arty plan.  Or do I go the other way and limit the amount of arty present, especially the heavy stuff, and allow the player to do what they want?  This would be more acceptable if I could limit the "inorganic" support so that it was only accessible to the FO, and make that guy very low quality to handicap on-call reaction times.  But I don't think I can do that, and I don't want to go and handicap every American leader just to spin the indirect fire support.  Lots of testing required, I suppose.

Or do I go the other way and limit the amount of arty present, especially the heavy stuff, and allow the player to do what they want?  This would be more acceptable if I could limit the "inorganic" support so that it was only accessible to the FO, and make that guy very low quality to handicap on-call reaction times.  But I don't think I can do that, and I don't want to go and handicap every American leader just to spin the indirect fire support.  Lots of testing required, I suppose.

The "Heavy stuff" tends to require an FO to call anyway. A quick squint at the Amis in September shows only one type of module >105 that can be called by a non-FO, so if you don't put any 155mm M1s in the arty selection, only the FO(s) will be able to call the "heavy stuff". And with the v3 "one mission at a time" limitations, combined with long call times for the large assets, limitations on FOs become significant, while not gimping the line HQs.

Setting up a rolling barrage of 7 lines at 5 minute intervals, though, probably needs TRPs for lines 5-7 (Line 1 comes with no delay, Line 2 at 5 mins, Line 3 at 10min and Line 4 at 15 delay), and you'd need to be in T8 or so, maybe, with a 15 minute delay and a 7 minute or so (including TRP bonuses) call time before you released the game to the player to "pre-bake" it, with barage lines 1 and 2 already complete, and presumably a bunch of movement to "lean" on the early barrages. To have such a comprehensive fire plan, you have to, I think, leave it up to the player, with as much instruction as you can provide in the briefing, to manage the arty. It might be possible to put the FO in an area with no LOS, and impassable terrain so that the "FO only assets" can only be called on the TRP-enabled barrage lines, but even then, there's no guarantee the player will leave TRPs where the designer put them, though they'd be cheating themselves if they disregarded briefing notes that explained the purpose of the "TRP-plus-jailed FO" combo.

I love this forum, I learn something new every day.  How can you tell (besides going into the scenario and looking, lol) which assets are FO only?

I am glad to hear your opinion re; leaving it up to the player.  I guess if someone wants to use all the arty to break the scenario, that is their problem.  I had originally planned to use TRPs to indicate all the barrage lines, but I guess you are right in that they are not really necessary.  I will use 0-point touch objectives, instead.

I love this forum, I learn something new every day.  How can you tell (besides going into the scenario and looking, lol) which assets are FO only?

:) In the QB force selection screen, it tells you when you click the "+" in the right hand pane to see how many tubes of what type you're getting in the module. I just looked in the scenario "Purchase" (and just what currency are you using to "buy" them...? Surely that should be "Selection (Allied)") pane and that, most unhelpfully, doesn't. So (for a 30s futz around) it looks like you need to either go into the game or into the QB force purchase screen...

For Christian,

Another 2 cents of my ideas: Why do you want/have to show all 7 barrages? Maybe the dramatic impact will be there with just a few?

1. So, run the first 3 on your map and with any axis units in place as typical across AI groups.

2 Then stop and take a screenshot. Make notes as to status of any axis units.

3.,Then edit the map to represent that HAS ALREADY occurred. Add in the remnants of axis units. half a sniper team here. half a scout team there.

4. Then you can do the saved game file for the next 4 barrages and exit the FO's and save the game?

Please deposit 2 cents for the next idea. Thank you. :D

Edited by kohlenklau