AXIS AAR: CMPzC Operation Eindhoven Road Mini-Battle 2

Bil,

Just curious, did you give any consideration to NOT attempting to recover the heavy weapons / Pak closest to the known enemy positions?

Or (Nevermind the danger, there's a war on after all.) was the potential reward worth the cost of the 5-man team?

Nope.  My orders were to apply buddy aid and recover as many weapons I could.. I was hoping to do the job and withdraw before the Allied forces showed themselves. Yes, attempting to get the AT gun was worth the 5 man team... if I could have recovered it (simulated of course) then it would have made a huge difference in the follow-on battle.  

Edited by Bil Hardenberger

@ Bud, I find Full-Strength Pre-Battle Green Troops rather tenacious in CM ( if having higher motivation and Leadership bonuses ). However, as Bil has mentioned, this is Post-Battle Green Troops, and rather Brittle at this point ( taken casualties, out of Command, etc ).

In my Games, I generally only use 'Green Troops', and give lower Motivation and Leadership bonuses if Green in RL, and higher Motivation and or Leadership bonuses to simulate troops that are Reg or Vets in RL...So far, this system works fairly well. 

ex; I would give a RL Vet Para Platoon this: PHQ- Green w/High Motivation & +2 Leadership, Squads and Support- Green w/High Motivation & +1 Leadership...something along those lines.

@ Bil, I also live in Va ( lived in Northern Va half my life such as Arlington, Manassas, Loudoun & Fairfax Counties, but now in Winchester ), and maybe one day we could meet at one of those Gaming Conventions located in Lancaster, PA and other local area ones ( HMGS, Origins, Cold Wars, etc ) if these things interest you.

Joe

Edited by JoMc67

@ Bil, I also live in Va ( lived in Northern Va half my life such as Arlington, Manassas, Loudoun & Fairfax Counties, but now in Winchester ), and maybe one day we could meet at one of those Gaming Conventions located in Lancaster, PA and other local area ones ( HMGS, Origins, Cold Wars, etc ) if these things interest you.

Joe

Hey Joe, we should have a Virginia CM get together.. pnzrldr is just down the road from me, there are few others in the area as well, and maybe we could talk c3k into coming up from NC (or wherever he is these days).  We could sit around and play a bunch of CM and have a few drinks and get merry.  Richmond works for me  ;)

I have never gone to one of those wargame conventions.. hmmm.. . I'd have to think about that.

One more minute until Guyver arrives with the detonators.

I am taking a peek down the length of the map wih the one team I have left to see if I might be able to streak down to point 6 and try to grab that PzSchreck. The enemy tank has moved off the road to my right which could mean he is traveling down the map with his infantry through he trees that line the road.

SITREP +10 Minutes:  Guyver has arrived in zone and is immediately moving to set the detonators.  I just hope the enemy does not mortar the bridge area.. or we could fail in this mission.  All non-essential teams have either exited the AO or is on their way (final team) - equipment safely recovered are 4 PFs and one 81mm mortar with some ammo.  Still on overwatch are the PL, Burke, and the LMG, but as soon as the bridge is blown they too will exit the area as quickly as possible falling back on our lines.

SITMAP.PNG

Excellent.  That was a fairly good haul too, considering the lads were hinky trying to recover items in the dark with tanks moving in and being far removed from commanders. 

If not for their stellar leadership, they might have just cowered in a ditch somewhere for a while, and then reported back that they tried but were unsuccessful having been turned back by oncoming enemy troops. 

Even penal troops want to survive.... :lol:

But Bil, about those boots...two lefts again or are they too small this time?

Heinrich505

Never occurred to me to give green troops high morale and leadership ratings LOL. The game affords a lot of flexibility.,

Covers situations like Panzer Lehr where striplings swept up in ideology with a hard-bitten cadre of sergeants and officers fight like demons, even though they've little combat experience... Or any situation where the Repple Depple has filled out the ranks with eager dogfaces fresh off the boat and out of Basic and the brass has bumped the crazed survivors who're out for blood (in a Sergeant Rock idiom) to NCOs.

The one psycho sniper guy who sleeps with his Mauser? .....the sniper from Schindler's List? No partner because everyone knows he is nuts. verrückt psycho!

Sure, I will add him in....but limited ammo and he must be in the very front lines!

Edited by kohlenklau