US army

I'd just call it an "HR" myself.

General McMaster is awesome.  Beyond his battlefield record his tankers and scouts loved him (as a Regimental Commander as that was the vintage of guys I was dealing with.  I can hardly tell you what my first two Brigade Commanders looked like, let alone express any sort of affection for them), and he has a reputation for saying what's right vs what's "right" if you get my drift.

Not to mention the whole 73 Eastings thing.  

I'd just call it an "HR" myself.

General McMaster is awesome.  Beyond his battlefield record his tankers and scouts loved him (as a Regimental Commander as that was the vintage of guys I was dealing with.  I can hardly tell you what my first two Brigade Commanders looked like, let alone express any sort of affection for them), and he has a reputation for saying what's right vs what's "right" if you get my drift.

Not to mention the whole 73 Eastings thing.  

McMaster's claim to fame outside of the US comes largely from his boldness as a young Officer in criticizing how the US Army ran things. You don't generally do that and see an illustrious career, especially back at the time when he wrote that particular academic piece. It shows something more important than any of his obviously impressive battlefield accomplishments; he knows how to criticize the organization he's apart of. For the largest and seemingly most powerful Armed Forces in the world, the ability to foster a self-critical atmosphere is how you avoid stagnation. 

McMaster's claim to fame outside of the US comes largely from his boldness as a young Officer in criticizing how the US Army ran things. You don't generally do that and see an illustrious career, especially back at the time when he wrote that particular academic piece. It shows something more important than any of his obviously impressive battlefield accomplishments; he knows how to criticize the organization he's apart of. For the largest and seemingly most powerful Armed Forces in the world, the ability to foster a self-critical atmosphere is how you avoid stagnation. 

3rd ACR also performed wonders in Tal Afar for what was supposed to be a unit designed for tank on tank open warfare.  There's a somewhat infamous moment where then Colonel McMaster used some very colorful expressions to describe his intent to use his tank's main weapons, permission from Baghdad or not because it was his prerogative as a commander over the objections of the all-Iraq Corps level HQ.  And Corps backed down.

He's got the same sort of reputation in the tanker realm of things as Chuck Norris has elsewhere.   

If he was anything but one of the best officers in the Army his career would have been dead at Major. I had the pleasure of seeing him talk in person* on a few occasions and shaking the man's hand.  I'm pretty cynical when it comes to senior officers and politicians, but he's one of the few that I saw both the officer and enlisted ranks have any faith in.

He is shorter than you'd expect though.

3rd ACR also performed wonders in Tal Afar for what was supposed to be a unit designed for tank on tank open warfare.  There's a somewhat infamous moment where then Colonel McMaster used some very colorful expressions to describe his intent to use his tank's main weapons, permission from Baghdad or not because it was his prerogative as a commander over the objections of the all-Iraq Corps level HQ.  And Corps backed down.

He's got the same sort of reputation in the tanker realm of things as Chuck Norris has elsewhere.   

If he was anything but one of the best officers in the Army his career would have been dead at Major. I had the pleasure of seeing him talk in person* on a few occasions and shaking the man's hand.  I'm pretty cynical when it comes to senior officers and politicians, but he's one of the few that I saw both the officer and enlisted ranks have any faith in.

He is shorter than you'd expect though.

Don't need to sell me. I just can't figure out who I like more, him or Mattis. I have a deep personal distaste for PowerPoint, between the two of them I can't decide which has the better quote about it.

I just can't figure out who I like more, him or Mattis

They're both amazing.  Less deciding who's better, more imagining a Cold War era MTOE Armor division (with modern platforms) under McMasters, with Mattis running a MEF in support.

I don't think the world is ready, or able to contain that much violence of action.  We'd have splice Patton and Chesty Puller's DNA to be their Corps commander though.