Video Card upgrade for Shaders to work - Recommendations?

MarcM

GTX960 is aimed squarely at 1080p gaming. A lot of reviews out there. Most games play at decent rates with some eyecandy enabled. (You won't get 60 fps with every slider at "ultra".) It's a solid midlevel card.

The GTX970 is a much bigger jump in capability (despite the hue and cry about 3.5gb + .5gb segmented memory). But, it will crush every game at 1080p.

the 970 I have performs flawlessly  at 1200p, with all the games I own at maximum eye candy. Forget the 3.5gb VRAM fuss. I'm under the impression it was some kind of one of those questionable commercial moves done by the opposition, if you get me. In fact, I tested it myself with some games and there is nothing like fps drops in any possible scenario.

Nvidia itself is encouraging folks (seen this on their forums) to use the "upsampling" feature on the driver's control panel (this would make you "unlock" resolutions higher than your monitor supports - basically you get textures which haven't been downsampled to the monitor's native resolution).

Visually there isn't much of a difference, but you get to use more vram and so see by yourself that there is no 3.5gb bug

I have a AMD R9 290. Works perfectly fine here. Fast and perfect graphics. No issues in any of the game I play.

Whenever the time comes to upgrade, I usually wind up buying a AMD card because they give you the most bang for the buck.

Driver issues come and go, NVIDIA drivers have had as many as ATI drivers.

Part of the problem comes from the fact CM uses Open gl while most games use Direct X.

How long does it take for you to load a normal size scenario with best/best settings ?

What about trees moving in the wind ? 50% performance drop ?

What about trees moving in the wind ? 50% performance drop ?

never seen that before, what is your system setup?

remember that CM's graphics are not particularly demanding, from internal testing we have done, it is the CPU which is the biggest chokepoint. All you really need to play CM is a decent mid-range card.

never seen that before, what is your system setup?

remember that CM's graphics are not particularly demanding, from internal testing we have done, it is the CPU which is the biggest chokepoint. All you really need to play CM is a decent mid-range card.

There was some testing done in CMSF or CMBN with wind at 0 and then heavy wind.  It showed some significant performance drop with heavy wind through the swaying.  In fact, it has been asked for the swaying to be an option for low-end systems.

so I retested with the 1.01 patch to make sure that it was not the problem , but no, I do not have the "green hue" problem and I have been using the 14.12 "Omega" drivers since mid-December.

Must have something to do with the CMBS/driver/card combination then.  Don't have issues in other games.  Where do I get these 14.4 drivers everyone's referring to?

I don't know what video card Peter Panzer has (post #107 on the screenshots thread) but I'd kill for a picture like that.

I asked what his specs are as I'm building a new system in the near future.  I have found that on mine at least fiddling with the options in the Catalyst software dramatically changes the graphics for the better, but also dramatically kills the framerate...

so I retested with the 1.01 patch to make sure that it was not the problem , but no, I do not have the "green hue" problem and I have been using the 14.12 "Omega" drivers since mid-December.

Uninstalled and re-installed 14.12 drivers just to be sure.  Same thing.  Only happens with Shaders ON.  See screens.  First is without shaders, next is shaders on. Happens exactly the same in CMBN.  Has this already been posted in the tech support (CMBN and/or CMBS)?  Edit:  see that it is already in the CMBN tech-support forum.

KfNsmTW.jpg?1

yXcHSNV.jpg?1

Edited by aleader

Has this already been posted in the tech support (CMBN and/or CMBS)?  Edit:  see that it is already in the CMBN tech-support forum.

Yes, and I put in a support ticket. They seem to think it's card related, but given other people don't have these issues, it seems pretty nebulous.

There was some testing done in CMSF or CMBN with wind at 0 and then heavy wind.  It showed some significant performance drop with heavy wind through the swaying.  In fact, it has been asked for the swaying to be an option for low-end systems.

Again this has nothing to do with "low end" systems...its just another engine problem in connection with specific hardware/drivers.

No, it does not.

Dont talk about "low end" systems all the time as if someone with a "high end" system will not have any problems with the performance of CMx2 games.

The CMx2 engine is just a very old and awkward one.

Low performance and graphic glitches are nearly always the fault of the engine <-> hardware/drivers interaction.

Especially AMD/ATI cards are known to have driver and performance issues with the engine.

I have currently 10 games on my PC. ArmA3, Far-Cry 4...

Oddly enough i can play anything in FullHD with max. or high settings without any stuttering or graphic glitches.

The only problematic game is CMBS, but yeah...maybe i should update my "low end" hardware for the "high end" CMx2 graphics engine...LOL

"Ambush", new game, excellent/best, Blue side, 2 min. 40 secs.

Takes ~5 minutes for me.

Installed the game on my SSD for testing and it does not improve loading times at all so its clearly a AMD/ATI driver issue in connection with the CMx2 engine (textures).

Edited by Wiggum15

Holy crap...what is your problem.  I just mentioned a conversation that took place a few years ago.  Are you always that aggressive in real world conversations too.  You act like I am somehow defending some philisophical point.  

I just mentioned that a discussion happened a few years ago....see I can use bold too.

No, it does not.

Dont talk about "low end" systems all the time as if someone with a "high end" system will not have any problems with the performance of CMx2 games.

The CMx2 engine is just a very old and awkward one.

Low performance and graphic glitches are nearly always the fault of the engine <-> hardware/drivers interaction.

Especially AMD/ATI cards are known to have driver and performance issues with the engine.

A good example of this is Company of Heroes.  Good performance on high end systems under DX9, cripplingly bad performance on the same systems using DX10, due to a very poor implementation of the API

Edited by Jock Tamson

Wow. they still want a lot for a used GTX 680...almost as much as a new GTX 960, which doesn't make much sense to me.  Benchmarks for the GTX 960 are very good, equivalent to the GTX  770/R9 285. It's running an avg. of 56fps on Ultra/1920 in BF4.  That's plenty for my needs, and I would think is way beyond what CM needs.  Is this series not largely CPU-limited?

GTX 680 has 50% more cores than the 960.  I just sold my 4GB GTX 680 on eBay for 130 GBP - less than I would have liked, someone has got a bargain.