Video Card upgrade for Shaders to work - Recommendations?

MarcM

So, it turns out my current video card (ATI Radeon 6870HD) doesn't do CM3.x shaders that well, giving me luminous green surfaces where I'd expect to see...well, not that!

It did it for CMBN3.x and it's doing it now for CMBS.

I put a tech support ticket in and the recommendation is a change of video card. Drastic measures, to be sure, but I never liked my video card (was part of a pre-built system). ATI Driver delivery would be a 50/50 affair - 50% likelihood of the driver not working at all (black screen).

I've saved up enough to buy a good medium spec card and was looking for some recommendations from folk who get good frames with smoke, shadows and shaders, with hit decals showing. 

FWIW, I have discovered that hit decals only seem to show when shaders are on. Give with one hand, take with the other?

Anyhoo, If anyone has been using Nvidia cards with good results, I'd like to hear about it.

Cheers.

Marc

Latest,14.12 Omega. Actually, I've tried at least 3 different drivers going back to 14.8 or such (not at my computer, don't know exactly).

I actually have 2 of these cards, had them in Crossfire, but one has since died this weekend past and now only one 1Gb card. 

To confirm, I'm ready to upgrade. It will happen. I'm just going to move to Nvidia. 

I have a GTX 660 you can have, if you don't mind paying for shipping from Seattle. It is in perfect working condition. PM me if you are interested.

Hi Lingo, if offer is still available, my 260 could REALLY use an upgrade! Holding out on total system upgrade (2009 build), so 660 would be a great stopgap.

Sending PM...

Thx,

Hi jock, thanks for your reply. Whilst my OP was about getting the right card for CM shaders to work, I actually have diverse interests in gaming, notibly the Remastered Homeworld series (when released), as well as DCS. 

For this reason I was aiming a tad higher that I imagined was necessary, but am still aiming to get the shaders working properly.

Cheers,

Marc

GTX960 is aimed squarely at 1080p gaming. A lot of reviews out there. Most games play at decent rates with some eyecandy enabled. (You won't get 60 fps with every slider at "ultra".) It's a solid midlevel card.

The GTX970 is a much bigger jump in capability (despite the hue and cry about 3.5gb + .5gb segmented memory). But, it will crush every game at 1080p.

Hi jock, thanks for your reply. Whilst my OP was about getting the right card for CM shaders to work, I actually have diverse interests in gaming, notibly the Remastered Homeworld series (when released), as well as DCS. 

For this reason I was aiming a tad higher that I imagined was necessary, but am still aiming to get the shaders working properly.

Cheers,

Marc

In that case I agree with c3k, GTX 970 is best bang for buck at the moment, and overclocks well and safely should you feel inclined.  Some brands offer out-of-the-box overclocked cards that will bring performance not far short of a 980.

Having said all that, a 970 performs barely differently to a 680, maybe just a bit more future proofed if any developers start using the new anti aliasing technique [MFAA].  There are lots of good, used, 680s on eBay (including mine  :)  )

Thanks folks for your replies. That narrows it down quite a bit.

As I type this, I'm downloading the now Catalyst software suite 14.501. I'll see how this goes, but a new card is definitely on the horizon.

FWIW, here is a picture of the green hue shader issue:

Shaders%20on%202.jpg

I noticed that the price of cards seems to shoot up after Xmas.  Isn't that backwards?  I was looking at an R9 270x for $120 on Newegg around Xmas and now they're up to $180 again.  The 280x and GTX 960 jumped way up to.  What gives?  Expecting big volume at Xmas?

I still play it on my laptop with a Radeon 6755G2 and have never had issues.  Red Thunder was quite smooth, shadows and shaders look good, but for some reason I'm seeing a performance hit with CMBS.  Could just be in the maps with lots of buildings, I'm still testing.  It is however time to upgrade the desktop from the Athlon 4000+ and 8800GT card, which is still surprisingly fast, but even my laptop kills it.  I've seen lots of CM threads dedicated to Nvidia fixes.  Has that all been ironed out now with those cards?

I have had AMD CPUs and GPUs since I can remember.  My most recent laptop was a Lenovo with an a10 quad and 85XX radeon.  It ran CM2 OK and did flight sims relatively well for a $500 laptop.  I just got my bonus and decided to splurge on a new laptop.  I really agonized over going to Intel CPUs, but I knew the Intel GPU sucked.  I decided to drop $900 on a new mid-range MSI laptop.  It has an I7-4710Q 8 core and an nVidia 850 GPU.  It is awesome.  My lesson from my last 10 years...bail on AMD if you can.  Intel and nVidia are the shizzel.  CMBS runs at Best/Best with full AA and all the bells and whistles.

btw, its not just OpenGL support, I am finding my very first nVidia card a godsend in most of my games.

I have a AMD R9 290. Works perfectly fine here. Fast and perfect graphics. No issues in any of the game I play.

Whenever the time comes to upgrade, I usually wind up buying a AMD card because they give you the most bang for the buck.

Driver issues come and go, NVIDIA drivers have had as many as ATI drivers.

Part of the problem comes from the fact CM uses Open gl while most games use Direct X.

Edited by Sgt Joch

Thanks folks for your replies. That narrows it down quite a bit.

As I type this, I'm downloading the now Catalyst software suite 14.501. I'll see how this goes, but a new card is definitely on the horizon.

FWIW, here is a picture of the green hue shader issue:

Shaders%20on%202.jpg

Have you tried the 14.4 drivers?

Edited by Sgt Joch

Id agree that the gtx 680 is still a steal if you can get it on ebay.  I have had one for a few years and only recently ran into games that I could not pump to max settings.  If however you have a bit more cash I would also recommend the gtx 970.  Just keep in mind both of these cards are fairly long.

For what it's worth, I have personally only ever had driver issues with ATI cards.  I used to buy the best card available, but now I choose the best nvidia card as a rule and recommend nvidia solutions to my friends.  Given that ATI tend to have issues with OpenGL and that CM is based upon OpenGL I would suggest staying away from ATI if you are going to  purchase a new card.

Id agree that the gtx 680 is still a steal if you can get it on ebay.  I have had one for a few years and only recently ran into games that I could not pump to max settings.  If however you have a bit more cash I would also recommend the gtx 970.  Just keep in mind both of these cards are fairly long.

For what it's worth, I have personally only ever had driver issues with ATI cards.  I used to buy the best card available, but now I choose the best nvidia card as a rule and recommend nvidia solutions to my friends.  Given that ATI tend to have issues with OpenGL and that CM is based upon OpenGL I would suggest staying away from ATI if you are going to  purchase a new card.

Wow. they still want a lot for a used GTX 680...almost as much as a new GTX 960, which doesn't make much sense to me.  Benchmarks for the GTX 960 are very good, equivalent to the GTX  770/R9 285. It's running an avg. of 56fps on Ultra/1920 in BF4.  That's plenty for my needs, and I would think is way beyond what CM needs.  Is this series not largely CPU-limited?