New Forum? Dedicated Scenario Design

Scenario Design Forum  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like a dedicated scenario design forum?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know

After playing CM games for almost 10 years I finally decided to try my hand at scenario design and started fiddling with the editor. I must say it is a ton of fun. It adds another dimension to the game and it gives your creative spirit a lot of freedom. And it is truly exciting to see your ideas come into fruition. Having messed around with the editor also makes me appreciate well-made scenarios in a whole new way.

Up until now I've been intimidated by the editor, but I would like to urge all those who enjoy playing the game to give it a chance. And in the process of having a new fun tool to play with, the community as a whole would benefit from more scenarios to play.

The editor is the same for all CM*2 games, but as it is now scenario design issues are dealt with in the seperate sub-forums. I would like, and I also think it would aid more people who wish to try the editor, that there was a seperate scenario design forum. In it there would be links to video tutorials, guides, discussions how to create realistic maps, villages etc. AI plans and so on. It would also be a place where you can ask for or sign up for play testing. Having everything in one place would IMHO help a lot.

What do you think?

Edited by rocketman

Something has to happen and I think your plan is sound, Rocketman. It will not only concentrate all knowledge, but it might also stimulate people to work together in projects. One could for example start a project in remaking a series of the best CMBB scenarios for CMRT. I'm working on one myself and although it is a slow process due to lack of time, it is fun to do and not nearly as hard as I initially feared. .

Edited by Aragorn2002

After playing CM games for almost 10 years I finally decided to try my hand at scenario design and started fiddling with the editor. I must say it is a ton of fun. It adds another dimension to the game and it gives your creative spirit a lot of freedom. And it is truly exciting to see your ideas come into fruition. Having messed around with the editor also makes me appreciate well-made scenarios in a whole new way.

Up until now I've been intimidated by the editor, but I would like to urge all those who enjoy playing the game to give it a chance. And in the process of having a new fun tool to play with, the community as a whole would benefit from more scenarios to play.

The editor is the same for all CM*2 games, but as it is now scenario design issues are dealt with in the seperate sub-forums. I would like, and I also think it would aid more people who wish to try the editor, that there was a seperate scenario design forum. In it there would be links to video tutorials, guides, discussions how to create realistic maps, villages etc. AI plans and so on. It would also be a place where you can ask for or sign up for play testing. Having everything in one place would IMHO help a lot.

What do you think?

I couldn't agree more. Personally I like the "small" level engagements (platoon size up to one company mixed with combined arms). But tackling scenario design is like me sending an infantry squad in the woods (meaning timid!). I'd love to see smaller campaigns that are more "forgiving" for the novice/intermediate player. I just don't complain about it because I'm sure the response would be "Build it yourself". However I do recall a post several months ago about this very thing. The post was basically about giving "feedback" for what was currently out there. And to be more specific it was the LACK of feedback that caused some authors to not care to build more scenarios because they never got any feedback about their creations. If we, as a community, gave more feedback about what's currently out there then I think you'd see more of it. That's just my 2 cents. But getting back to the OP post I'd love to see a forum specifically for this.

Nah, I am not being mean. You know, if us Beta demi-Gods would share all our design secrets with these outerboardes...what would be the fun in that? That way they can make great scenarios too. Pfff, can't have that :D

Betas are a special breed, and we would like to keep it that way, thank you very much :P  

Ok, seriously, what would you like to know, Rocketman? Maybe I can help you? Need tips?

Edited by PanzerMike

A new Forum for scenarios would be great.

I think it's less about the "How can I do this?"  and more about the "Oh, I can do this". You can't ask about something you don't know.  As an example take a look at the editor overlays. It makes building maps a lot easier, but you never would ask if there was an overlay. You simply don't think about it.

However, I think it's necessary to have one "Scenario" forum and v.3 (Or v.2) subforums. Some might not be able to use AI triggers, simply because they didn't update. That could cause a lot of frustration.

And drive sales. Hmmm...

. I'd love to see smaller campaigns that are more "forgiving" for the novice/intermediate player.

I wish there was a way to edit campaigns but  I think it is to complicated to do so one has to maybe explode it then re ez explode it or something but with the Editor one can edit a Scenario so as to make a scenario more "forgiving" (even though you spoke of campaigns) but with a scenario you can edit it and give it more turns or something you could even for example if you are playing a company sized engagement just give your side another BATTALION of Units and see how you do then .. lol 

Nah, I am not being mean. You know, if us Beta demi-Gods would share all our design secrets with these outerboardes...what would be the fun in that? That way they can make great scenarios too. Pfff, can't have that :D

Betas are a special breed, and we would like to keep it that way, thank you very much :P  

Ok, seriously, what would you like to know, Rocketman? Maybe I can help you? Need tips?

I beseech thee most worthy demi-God for some advice that a mere mortal scenarion designer would need to make that pitiful scenario less pitiful  ;)

When creating AI-plans, is there some way in 2D to see where units and fortifications (trenches, foxholes) are placed? That would make it a lot easier to "paint" targets for orders.

Also, the target for each order - if you make the area large, will the units try to find the best protection/concealment or spread out evenly?

Your humble servant and demi-God wanna-be

rocketman

I beseech thee most worthy demi-God for some advice that a mere mortal scenarion designer would need to make that pitiful scenario less pitiful  ;)

Ah, that's the spirit lad, he he he.

When creating AI-plans, is there some way in 2D to see where units and fortifications (trenches, foxholes) are placed? That would make it a lot easier to "paint" targets for orders.

Alas, you can't see them in 2d mode. I use a simple workaround. Just before the design of the AI plan I paint areas of special interest (like a trench line) with terrain tiles with outstanding color (red rocks or sumfink) in 2d mode. When I am finished doing the AI plans, I change the terrain back to what is was supposed to be. A trick only a Demi-God would think of I suppose :P 

Also, the target for each order - if you make the area large, will the units try to find the best protection/concealment or spread out evenly?

In my experience a unit will normally fan out and occupy roughly the (larger) area you painted. As far as I know they do not necessarily seek the best cover they can find however.

Your humble servant and demi-God wanna-be

Keep this up and Beta Paradise may just await you ;) . Of course that is ultimately up to the Upper God of the BFC pantheon, Steve the Magnicifent. All hail Steve!

rocketman