Tree trunks

Obviously I use the tree trunk mode a lot (no foliage near by).

Now I installed the CM games on a new laptop, which has higher specs than my PC. On the laptop the foliage disappear much further away than on my old rig, and when I move the camera around, more and more foliage disappears, not to return again (until a full redraw is needed, like when I put the laptop to sleep).

On small and medium maps there are usually only trunks left, no foliage at all. It is not a game breaker, but it is not aesthetically pretty.

I wonder how this is for other players. Is this normal, or is something wrong with my drivers (or settings)?

(NVIDIA GTX 760M)

It happens on my laptop too (i7, 8gb, 650m). Might it be something to do with available (video)memory? Does it appear at the beginning of the battle too or does it get worse the more time you play?

It starts quite moderate, then after a few seconds you can see the 'foliage barrier' moving away. And when I raise the camera or move around, it moves even further away.

Only on large maps I see the foliage reappear in the distance when I move the camera back. On medium or small maps the distance will remain larger than the map size.

At least now we have another sighting of this effect.

In general the other details on my screen are quite good, and high definition quality for for example road textures extends much further than on my older PC. So it is not a simple matter of too little video memory.

So I am curious what is supposed to rule the distance at which foliage is replaced by trunks in this view?

Not sure why the trunk-view distance should be different between your machines, but the way the tree/trunk boundary works is how it has always been.

Noticeable due to the fact that the initial "Convert-to-trunk" distance seems to be much closer than the "Redraw-Foliage" distance.

Often, on large maps, when I toggle the trees to show trunks, I then skate the camera around to "push the trunk view" further away, knowing that when I pull back to the original position, the trunk-view will extend further away.

Barely thought about it until this thread ;)

I assume it's just a quirk, no idea if intentional or accidental.

On small and medium maps there are usually only trunks left, no foliage at all. It is not a game breaker, but it is not aesthetically pretty.

I wonder how this is for other players. Is this normal, or is something wrong with my drivers (or settings)?

It's not just you, I've noticed the same thing since I bought my new computer. I just never said anything 'cause it didn't really concern me.

Often, on large maps, when I toggle the trees to show trunks, I then skate the camera around to "push the trunk view" further away, knowing that when I pull back to the original position, the trunk-view will extend further away.

HA! I do exactly the same thing! ;)

• 8 months later...