CMRT Right Hook at Sopockinie - Playtesters wanted

Rokko

During these last weeks and months I've been working on a scenario for CMRT.

It is pretty historical (semi-historical) and is based on an actual engagement where troops of the 3rd SS Totenkopf Division cut off Soviet forces west of the Nemen river to the east of Grodno, trapping them in Sopockinie and the Augustow forest.

I initially intended this to be part of a campaign, but considering how long it took me to (almost) finish this one, I decided to release it as a scenario. It is only playable as Axis vs. AI or H2H (although there are no Soviet briefings).

The map size is 2144x3120m and the forces are Batallion+

If you'd like to participate in testing, post here or send me a PM.

The scenario is not completely finished, left to do are:

- Tac Map for the Axis side

- Soviet briefing text and graphics

- some flavour objects here and there

- some finetuning (obviously)

Thanks guys. I'm especially interested in difficulty assesments, is it too easy or too hard?

Is the mission doable in the given time? Are the briefings clear enough or do they reveal too much? Is there too much or too little indirect fire support? And so forth and so forth.

@Severian

thanks comrade, just don't forget that this scenario is fascist-only, unless you are intending to get someone else to play the Axis for you. If that were the case I'd do my best to finish the Soviet briefings in the next day, not a priority atm.

@mjkerner

thanks again for playing, I'm trying not to spoiler too much, but only a part of your artillery is on-map, most of it is off-map. The ones that are on-map are mostly for flavour, since its a pretty rare thing to have. I don't think it puts you at any disadvantage. Otherwise I'd probably change that.

As for the time limit, you have 2hrs + 15min variable extra time. That should be enough, even on foot and without having to rush too much. I can't really push the limit further back for historical reasons, so if in your experience the given time is too short, I might have to let the scenario start earlier, which would mean it starts before sunrise though.

Also, the troop quality for both sides is relatively low (when compared to most other CM scenarios), so your troops are more brittle than usual, so I've hoped the 2hrs+ time limit was sufficient.

Btw, just out of curiosity, are you using Vein's tagged Totenkopf mod?

@Severian

thanks comrade, just don't forget that this scenario is fascist-only, unless you are intending to get someone else to play the Axis for you. If that were the case I'd do my best to finish the Soviet briefings in the next day, not a priority atm.

Not a problem Rokko.

Dug in Stugs did some unacceptable damage to the People's T-34s in the Tankovyi Desant scenario, so I am eager to learn their ways (in an OPFOR sort of way) and then use that knowledge against their masters. ;)

Hi Rokko,

during the period, 3rd SS Totenkopf was fighting in the Grodno area, the SS-Panzer-Regiment 3 did not consist of Panthers. The Panthers belonged to the new formed I.Abteilung, which had its first combat around the Siedlce area. Near Grodno, there were only Panzer IV of the II.Abteilung and Tigers of the heavy Company of SS-Panzer-Regiment 3.

Regards

Frank

Hi Frank,

I relied heavily on Vopersal's vol. 6a for my sources. Sopockinie is to the west of Grodno, this engagement actually happened in one way or another (probably less interesting than it is in this scenario). I'm pretty sure you have this book as well, you can read all it has to offer on it on page 48. I'm not going into detail here, but I remained faithful to the source when I created the Axis OOB.

BTW, if anyone wants to compare the map to real life location, here you can find it:

https://www.google.de/maps/@53.7847956,23.8124364,5702m/data=!3m1!1e3

I used the same map used in Vopersal's divisional history (of Totenkopf), a polish 1:100000 map, for the elevations and to see what was different back then.

I decided to use the Polish location names over the Belarussian names used today, because it appears those are the ones they used back than, at least the Germans did.

Hi Rokko,

you mean vol.5a? I have read the pages 48 and 49 - no Panthers :( only Tigers I, Mark IV and assault guns during this period. The I.Bn of SS-Panzer-Regiment 3 was reorganized and equipped with Panthers in Grafenoehr,Germany and Mailly le Camps, France - these Panther saw their first actions at the end of july 44 during the fighting around the town of Siedlce.

Regards

Frank

Rokko, ho,

Great looking map.. congratulations.. :).

Have not played it yet.. but always pop into the editor to preview maps and yours is a cracker.

They take a lot of time to that standard and size.. so again congratulations.. !!

CMX2 really is cinematic these days, when you get the camera down low behind a units... so such high quality maps are not wasted effort.

All the best,

Kip.

• 3 weeks later...