The CMSF trenches

Scipio

I just compared CMx2 v1 maps (CMSF/CMA) and CMx2 v2/v3 maps today, and I was surprised that I didn't realized before that the CMSF-'trenches' are removed completly.

I'm aware that trenches in the newer CMx2 games can be purchased as fortification, but I really wonder why the old trenches had been removed - they would be perfect ditches as part of the landscape, additional to the fortification trenches.

I would be pleased to see them back in the game.

The old CMSF trenches could be spotted before the trench itself due to them deforming the terrain.. this was a hole in FOW.

Not to worry, we now have the ditch lock feature in the map editing to create the ditches you are looking after.. using this with trenches gives the old CMSF appearance if you want.

Bil

When your are directly setting elevations in the editor, hold control as you change various heights. You will notice that the usual black square around the elevation number changes to blue, this indicates you are in Ditchlock mode. The terrain will lower the elevation on the indicated blue tiles to what ever elevation difference is set.

I've tested this. Ditch lock allows to paint elevation lines, but the result is far away from the ditches as they were in CMSF.

I'm aware of the spotting issue, but again - this is not a problem if ditches are part of the landscape, like walls or woods and such - additional to the puchaseable trenches with different spotting rules.

• 1 month later...
Scipio I don't think you are using the feature correctly

A picture paints and all that

dl.jpg

P

Although I think there is still a problem - is it not the case that truppen won't sit in a 2m deep ditch lock ditch (because they can't see out of it) and so cluster around the edge? You need to limit a ditch to 1m deep which doesn't give so much protection.

Although I think there is still a problem - is it not the case that truppen won't sit in a 2m deep ditch lock ditch (because they can't see out of it) and so cluster around the edge? You need to limit a ditch to 1m deep which doesn't give so much protection.

kensal... My guess is that it's called "ditch lock" is because it was primarily designed to create ditches. A one meter deep ditch is a pretty deep ditch; at two meters, there aren't many humans that could stand in the bottom and still see out. Anything deeper than one meter is a gully or wash ;)