More Newbie Questions

John S

A few more questions if you don't mind.

1) Playing the Germans, what does the "SIC Team" stand for (never seen the phrase before). As a practical matter, what do you guys use the HQ Support Team and the SIC Team to do?

2) At the end of the QB, the display shows how many kills were obtained by each unit. Is there a way to see how many were obtained by the off board artillery? (other than adding each single unit and subtracting from the total)

3) In CMRT the sound has a bunch of background noise - distant shots and explosions. When I have tried turning off the sound, it seems to turn off all sounds - the in game shots and explosions that you want to focus upon. Is there a way to shut off the background noise so the only thing you hear is the on board action? (Mods?)

Thanks for any help.

A few more questions if you don't mind.

1) Playing the Germans, what does the "SIC Team" stand for (never seen the phrase before). As a practical matter, what do you guys use the HQ Support Team and the SIC Team to do?

2) At the end of the QB, the display shows how many kills were obtained by each unit. Is there a way to see how many were obtained by the off board artillery? (other than adding each single unit and subtracting from the total)

3) In CMRT the sound has a bunch of background noise - distant shots and explosions. When I have tried turning off the sound, it seems to turn off all sounds - the in game shots and explosions that you want to focus upon. Is there a way to shut off the background noise so the only thing you hear is the on board action? (Mods?)

Thanks for any help.

1. SIC- Means second in command, or XO in the other western armies. He takes over if the CO is killed.

2. No there is no way to tell unfortunately.

3. There are mods available that disable the background explosions, and gun fire.

John S,

Welcome aboard!

As for the questions raised...

1) No idea.

2) People have been asking for this desirable feature for some time, and since they're still asking, I must conclude we don't have it yet.

3) The only sound I know of which can be turned off without killing the in-game sound is a setting which kills the intro music. As things stand, you can remove trees while planning your move, but you can't remove background sounds--save by killing all sounds. (Correction following seeing Raptorx7's post, which showed up only when I made mine). Apparently, that's only true in the game as shipped. It would appear those clever modders have scored quite the coup on sound handling.

Raptorx7,

Having just finished Delaforce's Taming the Panzers, I've become acquainted with a great deal of WW II period, if not earlier, British military jargon. The British called theirs a 2i/c, which stands for exactly what SIC means. No idea how the ANZACs handled the issue.

Regards,

John Kettler

Thanks guys.

Re #3 - background sounds. Info for the benefit of others. I looked pretty carefully for something on RT Mods and found nothing specific to background sounds BUT... on the GreenAsJades site I looked also in the CMFI file and found a Mod called "CMFI background sounds". It replaces the background gunfire and shellfire with birds chirping. I really would have preferred the sounds of silence but it seems to work OK in RT and in my view is preferable to the background guns and shellfire.

Thanks guys.

Re #3 - background sounds. Info for the benefit of others. I looked pretty carefully for something on RT Mods and found nothing specific to background sounds BUT... on the GreenAsJades site I looked also in the CMFI file and found a Mod called "CMFI background sounds". It replaces the background gunfire and shellfire with birds chirping. I really would have preferred the sounds of silence but it seems to work OK in RT and in my view is preferable to the background guns and shellfire.

Am certain that there is a silent BG "noise" mod. Check repository.

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showpost.php?p=1550173&postcount=2

The second link in the above link is what you probably want to try, many options to choose from.

Thanks to everyone, especially Blazing 88's, for the tip on where to find this mod.

Let me just take a second to also thank all the modders (especially "JuJu"). I have been around wargaming for 50 years and it is wonderful to see people take a very, very good game system and tweak it to be a visual and sound delight. I don't have the skill or the patience to do these things and I for one would simply say that your time and effort is much appreciated.

Now if I could only master the gameplay I would be fine!!

One more question - with respect to the "HQ Support Team" and the "SIC Team" (and their counterparts in other nationalities). What do you guys do with them? Do they provide morale help to squads even though they are not necessarily the commanders? Do you use them for recon or to spot for artillery? Do you use the "HQ Support Team" to support the HQ in some unusual manner? Any thoughts here?

What do you guys do with [XO/SIC]?

One of the common usages is as a roving medic. Because they have no specific role in the C3 structure, they aren't as valuable as the HQ units. So they can trail the combat elements and provide buddy aid without diverting a team/squad from the line.

Also, of course, just as an extra unit / extra firepower somewhere.

They tend to have binoculars so using them for reconnaissance/observation can be effective too.

One of the common usages is as a roving medic. Because they have no specific role in the C3 structure, they aren't as valuable as the HQ units. So they can trail the combat elements and provide buddy aid without diverting a team/squad from the line.

Also, of course, just as an extra unit / extra firepower somewhere.

It's worth noting that the only chance you have to recover the SMG off a fallen Ldr/Asst/Scout team is to have someone armed with a pistol do the buddy aid. XO/SICs sometimes come armed with a pistol.

They tend to have binoculars so using them for reconnaissance/observation can be effective too.

Aye, in a small team, as well, for reduced obviousness. And they often don't have any heavy firepower (pistols, carbines and rifles only) so having them sit quiet and watch (with a short, circular TA) is a negligible loss to the downrange output. At least some XO teams have artillery call privileges (it must be a field telephone, since I've yet to find one with an ackcheral radio, which can augment their reconnaisance capabilities :)

2IC can provide chain for thansferring spotting data. Commander listens on radio that platoon of tanks comming, sends SIC to distant squads. They know that tanks are coming and when tanks appear they shoot their panzershrecks a little faster. (if I understand game mechanics right)

2IC can provide chain for thansferring spotting data. Commander listens on radio that platoon of tanks comming, sends SIC to distant squads. They know that tanks are coming and when tanks appear they shoot their panzershrecks a little faster. (if I understand game mechanics right)

I think you're right. "Messenger boy" is a role I'd not thought of or seen described before. Nice one. Of course (like many of the things an XO team can do) is something any element can undertake, which is worth bearing in mind, but the same things that make XOs suitable for the other things suggested make them perhaps optimal units for expediting information flow.

That would be nice, but I'd like to hear some official word from BFC before I'd put too much confidence in it actually being in the game.

Michael

That would be nice, but I'd like to hear some official word from BFC before I'd put too much confidence in it actually being in the game.

Michael

I tested.

Tankodesantniki move over the hill, spot Stug. Platoon leader runs to T-34-85 (Green). Contact mark transfers to tank. T-34-85 moves over the hill with HUNT order. Stops and kills Stug in a few seconds. Distance - 400 metres.

Without intel data he would spot for several seconds, +2-3 to fire. Seems it works.

I tested.

Tankodesantniki move over the hill, spot Stug. Platoon leader runs to T-34-85 (Green). Contact mark transfers to tank. T-34-85 moves over the hill with HUNT order. Stops and kills Stug in a few seconds. Distance - 400 metres.

Without intel data he would spot for several seconds, +2-3 to fire. Seems it works.

Was the T-34 with open or closed hatch?

Let me just take a second to also thank all the modders (especially "JuJu"). I have been around wargaming for 50 years and it is wonderful to see people take a very, very good game system and tweak it to be a visual and sound delight. I don't have the skill or the patience to do these things and I for one would simply say that your time and effort is much appreciated.

Thanks, and you're welcome! :)

Oh, and welcome aboard!