Does Hiding HQs Affect Command?

actually any, lighting conditions alone could have an impact, hence why you should play in IRON mode!! Yes folks step right up, tired of not being sure about your units C2 state, want to know at a glance who they can see, IRON mode is your answer!!

I knew there was a distinct difference couldn't nail it. I play IRON as well but I really don't win much. I like real over wego - but play wego in single cause it's more like h2h in timing and the game still has niggles that fug things up sum.

beware the manual and it's description of iron mode. It has been wrong from day one.

:D

Iron is an optional setting that goes even one step further than Elite, and introduces

special restrictions on what the player can do and when. While even more realistic

than the other settings, this option introduces a number of interface limitations

which might put off the casual player, so it is strictly an optional choice.

- Friendly units need to be spotted just like enemy units. If you have a friendly unit not in

line of sight or in contact with another friendly unit, then the only way to find this unit is by

either re-establishing contact with another friendly unit or by clicking through the chain of

command in the game interface, jumping from unit to unit.

The current UI also gives you C2 info. No need to play iron.

Command lines, if you have 3.0, give you the information, each unit has a C2 chain that displays if they are in contact with their one above, and each HQ unit has a menu tab listing the units under it's control and whether or not they are in C2.

If you have a friendly unit not in

line of sight or in contact with another friendly unit, then the only way to find this unit is by

either re-establishing contact with another friendly unit or by clicking through the chain of

command in the game interface, jumping from unit to unit.

Are you sure about that? I think that if you click on open ground and deselect everything you can see all your units. Plus in command phase you can see all your units. Like I said I play an Iron game pretty much everyday and I do not recall missing any units. But what do I know if they are missing I might not know about it at all :D

C2 is slightly more realistic in Iron because there is no automatic friendly spotting. It's a small difference but it's more than nothing.

IMO there is no reason not to play Iron since the UI functions exactly the same as on Elite during the command phase (in WEGO single player and PBEM). It's only during the playback that you see a difference.

Real Timeâ„¢ and TCP/IP WEGO are a different story since the game is in replay mode all the time, which makes issuing orders difficult in Iron.

Command lines, if you have 3.0, give you the information, each unit has a C2 chain that displays if they are in contact with their one above, and each HQ unit has a menu tab listing the units under it's control and whether or not they are in C2.

I have no problem staying with "Elite" as I have no issues with C2 using it, even before the upgrade 3.0 I had no issues. jmo.

...IMO there is no reason not to play Iron since the UI functions exactly the same as on Elite during the command phase (in WEGO single player and PBEM). It's only during the playback that you see a difference.

I beg to differ - it doubles ( or even triples ) the number of clicks I need to do my moves ( during the Command Phase ).

I beg to differ - it doubles ( or even triples ) the number of clicks I need to do my moves ( during the Command Phase ).

Why? Like I said -- unless I am missing something -- there is no difference in UI functionality between Iron and Elite during the command phase in WEGO. The friendly-unspotted-units-dissappear thing only happens during turn replay/playback/whateveritscalled.

Why? Like I said -- unless I am missing something -- there is no difference in UI functionality between Iron and Elite during the command phase in WEGO. The friendly-unspotted-units-dissappear thing only happens during turn replay/playback/whateveritscalled.

Exactly, and if you do not select a unit, you still see all of your units moving during replay.

Oh man I am a total dough head then because I read the manual before posting my earlier comment. One would think I would have recognized what I had read only a few hours previously. Sigh.

better watch it, you've been hanging around me too long. You are starting to go senile too. Look on the bright side. Every time you open a scenario it is like the first time. :D

Interesting. Has it changed ? I haven't tried Iron for a long time, but I remember being immensely irritated trying to move a team, having to unselect it to see the team it was moving to support, reselecting, giving the order, unselecting to check, reselecting etc.

I think I even resorted to the "finger on the screen" a couple of times to recall where a particularly hard-to-see team was.

Never went back.

If the unspotted friendly disappearing no longer happens during orders phase, I might revisit it, but I definitely remember it being that way.

Interesting. Has it changed ?

It may have at some point, but I don't know when. I started out playing Elite only and didn't even try Iron until about a year ago. But the way Iron works now is that all friendly units are always shown during the WEGO command phase.

This was a pretty comprehensive discussion on Iron v Elite. I had forgotten I had done this but it does have a description about how hiding can impact squads, particularly if they are spread out.

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=105181

In the command phase Iron and Elite are identical. This was not the case in CMSF and I have forgotten where it changed. I am not sure it ever made it to CMBN but the DESCRIPTION in the manual was incorrect.

Voice contact is 50m unhidden, 20m if a unit is hidden. It is automatic as long as the distance is satisfied. I have forgotten all the exceptions but I think buttoned tanks and vehicles such as trucks and APCs cannot ever establish voice contact.

Visual contact is a spotting chance under Iron. The chance degrades significantly with distance and terrain and hiding.

Under Elite if you can draw LOS and within the range for close or distant visual it is automatic.