AAR "Fester Platz Polozk" RepsolCBR Vs Russian AI

t65_zps8816261d.png

But these building are now occupied by the enemy. They have not yet seen these guys either. Next turn will probably resolve this situation...

Unfortunatelly my troops here are GREEN quality and will probably not last long. Hopefully they will be able to take a number of russians with them...

t66_zpse50ec6dc.png

This HMG team keept engaging enemy troops repositioning up the street. This turn they saw the russians advancing northwest from the area around Pushka Hotel. Not towards it.

They were heading for the buildings infront of 1st platoon.

t67_zpsebb6dbf2.png

Some of the russians made it across the street but where instead engaged by these guys and took a number of casualties.

t68_zpse39e9671.png

These guys from 3rd platoon continued exchanging fire with russian troops down the street. The north infantrygun also contributed with two rounds.

t69_zps0f3d77bd.png

Hurray ! The previous fire from the flamethrower assistant did not reveal their possition. My flamethrower guy where able to get atleast one burst off.

The assistant however where killed by fire from the opposing buildings.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

t699_zpsff5f3ad2.png

The enemy troops that killed my flamethrower assistant advanced into the building from here. More troops are following...

Additional orders for next turn...

I will give my southern infantry gun and its supporting HMG a covered arc like this...

t7_zpsa9b32857.png

That's pretty much it for now...besides regrouping 1st platoon HQ and one of the machineguns.

TURN 7

WOW !!

On my far left...Close in fighting at its best...grenades and all !

t71_zpsabd5fb0c.png

t72_zps38cb49cc.png

t73_zps881ed087.png

t74_zps241e515b.png

I love it !!

My troops here are doing far better then i ever could hope for. I think these buildings are cleared fore now but more troops seems to be advancing this way.

And more importantly. The enemy has not commited his armour yet. They are still back at the factory.

More troops keeps advancing up the street and the enemies that have occupied the buildings on the right side of the street have begun engaging some of my troops.

t75_zps5ba9d263.png

My machinegun team are shifting possition.

t76_zps2720b57f.png

The enemies north of Pushka Hotel are having a hard time making any progress.

t77_zps6f7a4c74.png

t78_zps5ae95d5c.png

But my machinegun team took an additional casialty this turn. This time the gunner !

Not good...

t79_zps1746eb24.png

Further south the fighting is intense.

At pushka Hotel more russian troops are advancing forward.

t799_zps0c1ae3f3.png

The russians have a strong possition here...

t711_zps34a2f32e.png

Some troops deployed in a shell crater that i'm having a hard time decimating. They caused a casualty on their old advisary in my 3rd platoon this turn.

I will try to kill them with my north infantry gun once more. If this fails i might move my Hertzer up to a possition to engage them...

My flamethrower get 2 more bursts of this turn...

t712_zpsbff53a03.png

And are still alive !

The battle to the south rages all over the place...

t713_zps225ee1df.png

And over here more russians are advancing...

t714_zps2c9ac861.png

Unfortunatelly my south infantrygun did not open fire despite having a target arc...

t715_zps9cb3624b.png

After playing a scenario like this one i'm starting to belive that this game-engine even in its current form might be able to portrait urban battles in Berlin, Stalingrad, Moscow ?

...and other places

In a good way...

I've always been off the impression that urban battles are this game-engines biggest shortcomming... with many LOS/LOF issues among the buildings.

This scenario work brilliantly though. Very fun to play ! :D

The next couple of turn will be amazingly immersive and brutal fighting...

If i have the time i will post the next update tomorrow...

Some nice fighting ahead :)

I'm starting to have high hopes for urban fighting in the future...

Thanks Panzer Mike for this scenario !

Yes, I was kind of surprised myself when I made this scenario, that the engine handled urban fighting this good. All the gradual improvements over time to the engine are really paying off. Good job BFC!

Of course, there is still room for a lots of improvements. For example, especially industrial building could use some love (chimneys, modular buildings so you can make something like the tractor factory in Stalingrad, machinery doodads, cranes, etc.) But also things like fortified houses. You name it.

But still, urban battles can already be lots of fun. Making this scenario was fun too, because it was 'different'. No battle like this for the Ostfront has been made so far AFAIK. And playing the defender is kinda different too, usually you play the attacker in scenarios like this because the AI does not handle the attack very well. But in this battle, the attacking AI does pretty good I guess. It took some experimenting but the end result is not bad at all IMHO.

There really is a challenge for the human player to organize a good defense. Staying in one place for too long usually is a bad idea. Knowing when to fall back or shift positions helps a lot. Especially when the ISU-152s engage, discretion is the better part of valor.

I kept the size down, so you can micro manage the defenders. You really start to feel for your pixeltruppen when some of them perform real heroic acts when you send them tank hunting for example. Or the damage a well placed sniper can do in a street fight. I still enjoy watching some turns over and over. Like making and watching your own Saving Private Ryan (the end fight of the movie in the town of Ramelle).

Glad you are enjoying this! And great AAR, thanks for that!

Of course, there is still room for a lots of improvements. For example, especially industrial building could use some love (chimneys, modular buildings so you can make something like the tractor factory in Stalingrad, machinery doodads, cranes, etc.) But also things like fortified houses. You name it.

This is true...

Staying in one place for too long usually is a bad idea. Knowing when to fall back or shift positions helps a lot.

This is the challange for sure...Like i mentioned in the dedicated thread to this scenario i think this is a good scenario to practice falling back...

You really start to feel for your pixeltruppen when some of them perform real heroic acts when you send them tank hunting for example.

I agree ! My tankhunters have not had the oppertunity to prove them self just yet though but i think they soon will have...

Or the damage a well placed sniper can do in a street fight.

My snipers are racking up kills ! :D

OK...time for a small update.

TURN 8

Infront of 1st platoon on my far left...

The russians launch an assult against the building that my 1st squad A-team are defending.

t81_zps29f48f33.png

Not before long my defenders are wiped out in the face of overwhelming firepower.

t82_zps15c6cdf9.png

After neutralizing those men the russians are able to advance into that building.

t83_zps5dc7d154.png

Other russian tries to fight their way over a pyle of debrie to the north of that building but comes under fire from my 3rd squad A-team.

t84_zps677b0db7.png

And takes some casualties...

t85_zps18a35ce5.png

But soon even the 3rd squads A-team are overwhelmed by the russians and tries to bug out...

t86_zps31f117ab.png

The enemy also continues to reinforce their possition in the buildings on the other side of the road.

Infront of the factory however...The assultguns have not moved.

t87_zpsb82747a2.png

I'm sure it will not be long before they start moving forward. Things will become alot more complicated once those guys starts to participate in the fighting.

They for sure pack a big punch...

Speaking of armour

t88_zpsbc6edf46.png

It's about time i started to commit my Hertzer to the battle. It doesn't do much good back here. Up until now i have not had any obvious tasking for it...

I was considering sending it to assist my 3rd platoon to the south but as you guys will see in this update the russian attack in that area have failed

significantlly...Atleast for now.

I think i will send it strait east to assist my first platoon. Some of my squads over there have been forced back...or even been destroyed.

Some HE firepower could come in handy over there and if i get a good oppertunity i might take a shoot at thoose assultguns.

But only if i get a GOOD ! oppertunity. I don't want to risk loosing it in an armour Vs armour duell just yet...

A little to the south...

The russians have established themself on the other side of this courtyard.

t8center1_zps4b56a73b.png

The possition of my CRACK sniper team is starting to get very exposed to enemy fire. Next turn i will move them down to ground level.

However...

Despite taking heavy fire they are still capable of hurting the enemy...

t8center2_zpsbc821136.png

But lets get them out of there...They have done a good jobb defending this area.

But they are not alone. They are acompanied by my second CRACK unit. The 2 man AT-team. These guys have also done their fair part in halting the enemy advance in this area.

This turn they even fire a panzerfaust at an enemy soldier advancing infront of them (perhaps not what i would like them to do but these guys are born KILLERS !)

t8center3_zps39fdd084.png

Let's not forget about another of my 'hero' units so far...This machinegun team !

t8center4_zpse731cf82.png

They have really caused the russians some trouble. But i 'regret to inform you' that they have taken an additional casualty this turn. They have now lost 3 of their 5 men.

They deserv a break and i also think that their combat effectivness have been significantly reduced...

I will have them change possition with an other HMG close buy. Thoose guys have not fired a single shot yet. Atleast i don't think so...

t8center5_zpse6827026.png

Over at the south the russians are launcing an attack against 3rd platoon on both flanks. This attack will cost them dearly !

t8south1_zpsa9661a2b.png

A number of enemy soldiers tries to advance across the street on 3rd platoons left flank. These troops immediatelly comes under fire from my sniper team and the heavy machinegun at Kruzhka Inn.

They take considrable losses. Not the brightest move the AI have done so far.

t8south2_zpsd3c9b1e6.png

On 3rd platoons right flank the russians manages slightly better. Some of the troops makes it in to the first of the buildings but my southern infantry gun and the HMG infront of it takes a high toll on the advancing troops.

t8south3_zps2674ad30.png

These guys keeps firering as fast as they can...

t8south4_zps9b8a0289.png

So does these...

t8south5_zps56593383.png

ORDERS FOR NEXT TURN...

- I will order my Hertzer forward down the road towards 1st platoons possition.

- I will move my Crack sniper away from the exposed possition on the 3rd floor down to the bottom floor to avoid being exposed to to many enemies at once.

- I will regroup my two machineguns and have them change swap possitions.

- I will change the areafire order of the south infantrygun to a coverd arc.

I think thoose will be my orders for now...

TURN 9

The Co of 2nd commpany have arrived at the cemetery.

t90_zps9153cd1b.png

Not a moment to late i think. The survivors of 1st platoon/ 2nd company are not coping to well...

t91_zpsd213f86d.png

Nor are these guys. The green troops from my 3rd squad/ 1st plt. They are trying to make a run for it...

t92_zps94d86b59.png

Most of the men don't make it out of there

t93_zps27bd0636.png

But unfortunatelly one guy made it and keept running across the street towards his comrades. While doing so he managed to attract the attention of one of the assultguns.

t94_zps86c4a636.png

This explotion also killed 2 of the men inside the building.

My Hertzer are carfully advancing to 1st platoons possition.

t090_zps01f0c90e.png

Further to the south my sniper teams makes it down to the bottom floor.

Just as i thought the area in the center was a 'quite' area it seems that the russians have targeted that area for an attack...

tt90_zpse888f20c.png

Let's hope my machinegun teams have time to possition themself.

Enemy troops moving behind the buildings...

tt91_zpsdd819cd9.png

But CRACK troops are CRACK troops...

tt92_zpscaa60733.png

Well done ! Because none of my repossitioning machineguns are in possition yet. I do think some enemy soldier made it into that building though...

Over at the south...

The left wing of the enemy advance continues...

t96_zps2cb09ac0.png

Whitout meeting with any great succes !

The enemy sends reinforcements from Pushka Hotel...

t97_zpse604a6bf.png

My north infantrygun gives them a warm welcome !

t98_zpsd1261c7a.png

The enemy right wing attack gets stoped in the track by my southern infantry gun and HMG. No more enemy movement there this turn...

Well...

That's it for now. I'm off to the golfcourse...

I will try to make one additional update later tonight (making todays update 3 turns also).

Next update will have my orders for next turn and offcourse some pictures of that turn...

But still, urban battles can already be lots of fun. Making this scenario was fun too, because it was 'different'. No battle like this for the Ostfront has been made so far AFAIK. And playing the defender is kinda different too, usually you play the attacker in scenarios like this because the AI does not handle the attack very well. But in this battle, the attacking AI does pretty good I guess. It took some experimenting but the end result is not bad at all IMHO.

Hey PanzerMike. Your map was very fun indeed. It has inspired me to make a similar devastated city scape scenario. To save me several hours experimenting I was hoping you could help me out with some of the AI behaviour. Firstly... if I have an AI group set to ambush at 75m and a player unit moves within that radius, is it just that individual unit that becomes "activated" or all the units in that group? Also, if I set the ambushing units to "hide" will they remain hidden when activated?

Hello Mutunus

I might very vell be wrong about this but this is how i got the impression it worked when i did a scenario recently...

- It does not really matter if you give your units a HIDE order or NOT when you are deploying them on the map in DEPLOY GERMAN/DEPLOY ALLIED mode.

- If you do this and then assign thoose units to an AI-group with an order set to AMBUSH...

- Thoose units will not HIDE when the scenario starts. You can check this if you play the scenario in SCENARIO AUTHORS MODE-difficulty.

- I think AMBUSH ORDER makes them a little more difficult to spot for the enemy but they are not as stealthy as a HIDING unit.

However...With the new TRIGGER system you can get this to work.

- Instead of giving you AI-group an AMBUSH order

- Give them a HIDE order

- Then paint a TERRAIN OBJECTIVE on the map a distance away from the location you have deployed your troops at

- And make that a TRIGGER ENEMY OR ENEMY ARMOUR

- Give your AI-group an additional order and place that order at the same location as your HIDE order. (If you intend for your AI-group to be stationary you don't need to paint any orderloaction at all. For either of these two orders)

- Make this order an AMBUSH order and have this order triggered to start when the TERRAIN OBJECTIVE you painted on the map is reached by enemy troops.

- Now your AI-group will switch from HIDE to AMBUSH order when enemy troops enter the area you have designated in your TERRAIN OBJECTIVE.

This might sound complicated but it relly isn't...If you have enough AI-groups and TERRAIN objectives to do what you want that is...

I'm sure PanzerMike will be able to give you a better answer but this is how i think it works...

Excellent! The more the merrier!

To be honest the project has spiraled out of control and is becoming enormous. Almost a km by km of dense city with what's likely going to be regimental size forces facing off. Consuming far too much of my free time, but I do get an inexplicable pleasure from creating CM battlefields. I'll post up some preview images when I've completed the city.