What Would You Like?

I'm curious. What battles would you like to see portrayed using this magnificent gaming engine?

Remember, you are limited for the moment to Western Europe, June-44 thru May-45. Oh, there is plenty there, though, more than enough to begin.

Any particular conflicts you'd like to be able to fight again so as to relive a little history?

Even if they don't make it in the initial release, they could come out later as scenarios or operations.

------------------

Dirctor of Scenario Design,

The Gamers Net

Would like to see the battle of Aachen recreated. I recall reading on it and the battle over the fortress at Metz .(if Ive confused them plz correct me :P I read it a while ago) I believe there was s some furious combat recorded ivolving a graveyard at Aachen and the Brits had to bring in Some crocs to Route the Germans from the fortress at Metz. Both of these would make great scenarios IMHO

SS_PanzerLeader.....out

Ahh, Metz involved the 3rd US Army (the poor guys who had to deal with the Germans AND Patton smile.gif ) and is ~200km SW(?) of Aachen. Both would be fine battles to recreate though.

Hill 112 in Normandy would, I think, be an interesting one. Actually, lots of the small-ish unit actions from the first weeks ashore would be great.

Jon

------------------

Quo Fas et Vino du Femme

Hmm, what about Italian scenarios? We got US, Brit, and German forces so it should be possible....

I'd like to see "Taking the Left Tit" (my all-time favorite scenario name wink.gif ) like in ASL and all the rest of that Santa Maria Infante battle in "Small Unit Actions." Maybe also something from Rapido River or Cassino?

Back in France, lotsa stuff in the Bulge: Bastogne (all phases), St. Vith, Krinkelt-Rockerath, to name a few.

Of course, some Hedgerow Hell would be quite nice, too.

And I second the votes for Metz, Aachen, and Schmidt smile.gif.

-Bullethead

Sorry Bill, hit the wrong button (I started a new thread). Here it is again:

I tried to stick to smaller battles that might be some what simulated at the scale of CM. I would include St. Lo, St. Vith, Bastogn, Aachen, Huertgen Forest, etc, but they are larger battles (Though fighting in a pure forest, a la Huertgen, would be interesting. I ordered them from what I feel are the most appropriate for CM's scale, to (relatively) least appropriate.

1. Remegan.

2. Orne River Bridges by Brit paras.

3. That Ranger assault of the gun position that had been removed. Took place on D-Day.

4. The battle for hill XXX (Can't remember the number) during the Battle of Mortain. The one where the 2 US infantry bn's were encircled.

5. St. Mere Eglise (I know I spelled that wrong.).

6. Krinkilt-Rocherath.

7. Noville and Foy. Lots of Fog.

8. Wiltz.

9. 21st Panzer Div's drive to the coast between Omaha and the British beaches on June 6th.

10. Hatten-Rittershoffen: Check out Hans von Luck's 'Panzer Commander'. Considered one of the most brutal battles on the Western front during WWII.

Bill

Take Ospreys OOB Series 4 and 5 and modell The Northern sector of the Ardennes Offensive for VI Panzer Armee and V & XVIII US Corps. The details therein are excellent for Scenario design I think. The maps are very good.

Furthermore I´d love to see a campaign dealing with the battle of CAEN (Hubert Mayers "Hitlerjugend" war diary, translated by Feodorowiz is a good reference with excellent maps)

Helge

==============

Sbelling chequed wyth MICROSOFT SPELLCHECKER - vorgs grate!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>21st Panzer Div's drive to the coast between Omaha and the British beaches on June 6th.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This would be high on my list, but the 21st division would be difficult to model in CM. The 21st had such a bizarre collection of vehicles (the only division in the entire war to be fully mechanized as far as I know).

One battle that hasn't been mentioned yet... and that would be a real pleasure for the tank lovers... Villars-Bocage (not sure on spelling).

NOT historical scenarios.

I would like to see a nice fictional campaign based around an infantry battalion with very few tanks (none in most missions if possible). Heck if this doesnt come in the game I will make it myself. I get very frustrated with "tankie" scenarios and its part of the reason I dislike CC4. For me games with tanks in them become "see who can win the tank war first then use the remaining tank to hose down all the infantry."

I prefer to see good infantry combat. I dont know how realistic this is and I dont care, just the kind of game I like smile.gif

How about almost every half hour of the entire operation MARKET-GARDEN.

There must be something I have overlooked (sory if I have) since nobody else has suggested this (is it in the game already or what ?).

Here's to y'all ! cheers !

------------------

If you can't join'em beat'em.

Guest Gunnerdream

Personally, anything involving the hedgrerow country of France immediately following the invasion. Lots of ambushes, limited LOS, booby-traps(are these modeled by the way?), and lots of tanks scorched with panzerfausts and bazookas!

Also(God, I'm feeling greedy tonight!)anything in a fairly large city with street fighting and hand to hand! The armor purists will hate that one! redface.gif

Thanx for the oppurtunity to throw in my two cents! Where else but Battlefront and Combat Mission?

Guten Tag!

Aachen was at the top of my list... Glad to see a hint that it'll be there. Also like to see selected actions from Market Garden. There are plenty of actions in Arnhem that can be recreated (if larger buildings and a built up Urban Environment can be created with the editor) that should be fun... And also, of course, the greatest campign of the war... Kelly's Heroes! (wonder what the modifiers are for a Sherman that can play hillbilly music really loud?)

The latest research seems to show that German losses were only 70 tanks with perhaps 100 being mobility losses or battle damaged.

So basically we're looking at a maximum of 200 losses vs about 700 Soviet losses. Only 70 of the 200 combat incapable tanks were totally destroyed while the others could and were repaired.

Prokhorovka has gotten quite a bit of "mythologising" around it.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

This might be a bit unwelcome, but I think that large scale city fights would be a bad idea. My reasoning is that it would appear that "things that make sense" won't work in CM cities.

For example - no ratholing (blowing holes in the walls of adjacent blds to avoid the streets), no moving along rooftops, no sewers, plus the chunky nature of the terrain tiles. 20m x 20m is a large chunk of ground in a city, and the limited way CM handles gradual destruction of terrain, means (IMHO) square-peg in round-hole time.

I'm not putting down CM here, but I don't think that city fighting is what it was designed for, nor what it would be especially good at. Sure you could do it, but the limits on tactical options would lead to, I think, gamey play and disapointing scenarios.

Of course, all of the above is based on three scenarios of the, now old, demo. So take it all with a grain of salt ... smile.gif

Jon

------------------

Quo Fas et Vino du Femme

I disagree - I think large scale city battles in CM would be awesome; the 20 X 20 meter terrain "chunks" is something that could most likely be worked around IMHO. Im sure with all the effort BTS has put into this I doubt they will have written off all the history and excitement that takes emits from city fighting. If the things you point out are correct - there is still nothing to prevent us from having large 'towns' until cM2 comes out - - what other games have allowed ratholing? As far as the rooftops and movement go- couldnt you feasibly make any building join from terrain square to terrain square? ( not with our current models) and with this woul'dnt movement also be coded the same way you move from one area to another? I hope later on in the series things will get more sophisticated, where we can see evidence of structural damage. As pointed out on earlier threads, alot of stuff done to create better los was done pre-battle. Aything done in the heat of battle often resulted in poorer visibility. It would be nice to see the defenders have the option to expend points on preparations like this in a scenario to fortify postions- improve los etc.

SS_PanzerLeader...out