How to Area Fire the German FLAME HT ? So it fires its Flamethrower ....

Flame halftrack fires over the sides, rather like a battleship firing broadsides. So you've got to first get the HT into proper position and only then give a target command that's within range of the flamethrowers. Its a perilous procedure because the HT is not exactly immune to incoming fire. So the target first needs to be thoroughly suppressed to give the HT a chance to survive long enough to open up. It seems the flame HT's greatest utility is firing 'on spec', hosing down a suspect building complex before the troops enter.

Flame halftrack fires over the sides, rather like a battleship firing broadsides. So you've got to first get the HT into proper position and only then give a target command that's within range of the flamethrowers. Its a perilous procedure because the HT is not exactly immune to incoming fire. So the target first needs to be thoroughly suppressed to give the HT a chance to survive long enough to open up. It seems the flame HT's greatest utility is firing 'on spec', hosing down a suspect building complex before the troops enter.

So Mikey, what would you figure the effective range would be ?

So Mikey, what would you figure the effective range would be ?

I dunno, I unfortunately spend more time skinning than playing. ;) A simple test map and a couple squirts will give you the answer. OT-34 is the reining champion for flamethrower range.

wolf66,

It should be 37m, this per period US intel. Arc of fire should be from almost dead ahead (don't want to fry MG operator keeping enemy suppressed prior to roasting) to practically dead aft. 80 1-2 second bursts. CMRT doesn't model separate flame projector on 11m hose. This allowed flame engagements with entire AFV hidden out to ~27m. Fire may be delivered either from the halt or while moving. Full tactical details at Lone Sentry. Link deliberately broken, as am still waiting for feedback from BFC on legal links.

http://www.lonesentry.(usual)/flamethrower/index.html

Regards,

John Kettler

I wonder if the scenario designer for "Angriff" ever got those three (!) Flame HT for the germans to actually flame something .............................. those seem rather vital given the russian forces and the terrain ............

when they referred to 'oiling down' the target, was it flamethrower fuel they used, I wonder?

I know the Russian manpack flamethrower has two triggers, one to shoot the liquid without the ignition spark and one to shoot the liquid with the ignition spark. The Russians used a pistol cartridge as an ignition source.

tankgeezer,

Oiling down the target is simply spraying it but without igniting the fuel. You can read about this tactic using the Crocodile flamethrower tank in Wilson's excellent Flame Thrower. There's nothing quite like being slimed at high pressure by petroleum goo and knowing that failure to surrender promptly is likely to result in being torched, an agonizing protracted death.

Regards,

John Kettler

This week-end I did some testing with these just to see how messed up the unit is.

I can say, stay away from these units until a patch fixes them. I know BF understands there is some issue. But it seems to be more than one issue maybe.

Just for commenting. I had the halftrack running away from enemy trucks, it would not stop and fight, but would retreat. That must be one mean truck driver to scare an armed track with flame and machine gun.

The other interesting thing was area fire with the HT was very hard to adcheive.

First the crew must be unbuttoned, second the range had to be very short and third, even then sometimes it would fire , sometimes not.

And you might as well forget about engaging any enemy unit. Even if you do meet the conditions. The HT will retreat at the presence of anything