Four titles with estfront game,what about combine ?

Well that would certainly be helpful, but I'm also concerned about user-made maps. My incentive to spend the hours necessary to create a big, beautiful map is fairly limited if I know that I will only be able to use it for CMRT, whereas if I knew I'd be able to use it for the next three games as well I'd be cranking out maps right now.

I should say that one of the primary reasons I am so interested in maps is that I really enjoy (fictional) meta-campaigns, which frankly require a large amount of maps.

same same same, campaign is what I like too. In a skewed way we'd be like buying a bunch of good looking eyecandy models and textures, if without plenty of battlefields to fight them on.

Waiting 10 years for 500$ product. Isn't today's moto "I want it all & I want it now"?

500$.... and still same people have complains about 10$ upgrade....

I was kidding, of course I want it now I am an American. I was mostly making light of MikeyD's statement that did not really pertain to the OP's question. :P

It's been said that close and restarting the game clears your video memory (or something).

I don't know anything about that, but I have noticed that my RAM tends to get filled up after opening and closing apps (and games are the worst about this) and the only way I can free up RAM is to restart my computer.

Michael

Waiting 10 years for 500$ product. Isn't today's moto "I want it all & I want it now"?

500$.... and still same people have complains about 10$ upgrade....

You left something out. The complete formula is "I want it all, I want it now, and I want it for free." And while I am at it, I want delicious hot meals delivered to me at my computer so that I am not wasting time preparing them. And if you could have them delivered by gorgeous babes who are hot for my bod, that would be nice too.

:D

Michael

You left something out. The complete formula is "I want it all, I want it now, and I want it for free." And while I am at it, I want delicious hot meals delivered to me at my computer so that I am not wasting time preparing them. And if you could have them delivered by gorgeous babes who are hot for my bod, that would be nice too.

Michael

Although not free, there are options, Michael. Meals on Wheels and hookers would take care of your last two wishes.

Getting back on topic... :rolleyes:

Ideally (IMO), some sort of setup like Digital Combat Simulator has gone to would be great. For those that aren't familiar with it, DCS basically has one "master module," into which the player adds whichever submodule interests them (Black Shark, A-10C, Mi-8, etc.).

Michael

But I know that you know there's not such a thing like a free lunch. ;)

Re: reusing maps

I wonder if BFC has considered opening/documenting the map file format.

They don't sell the maps so economically no problem. They had to do the documentation which costs money and they would have to maintain it for future products. Biggest concern is probably support when non-editor maps crash CM. That would be a can of worms no-one wants to open. A good map validator would be necessary which again costs money to make.

What would be the benefits? More content.

I guess it wouldn't take long until someone would write a translator for maps between games (as far as possible). Or a translator from geo data to CM height information. Or a translator for the various terrain generators out there. Or a tool to copy/move/enlarge (parts) of a map. And so on.

Maybe we'll see that. :)