playing big maps

Making large maps, then cutting them down is the method I generally use. F&R has a large pool of these. Some are also used in campaigns, QBs, and scenarios, and some exist as a base from which to make your own.

I tend to start with a historical area that I know is an area of focus for an action that is to be turned into a scenario. I'll look for as much detail as source material as possible first (period maps, GE, GE VR, historical descriptions, and any other references that can be useful). These maps get as much detail as possible, but some extra may be added for resulting, smaller maps. I'll chop the big map down to the relevant area for that particular purpose. Any extra areas could then exist as QB's or...extra.

It always seems better to me to do more initially (even if not used later), rather than adding well into the process. It also allows for a better historical representation if the source comes from the overlay in the big picture.

Thanks Benpark

Its a shame the editor is restricted to roughly 4km x 4 km though, it would be handy if the facility was still there to make larger maps  that could be cut down for campaigns and the like, rather than trying to replicate part of a previous map onto a new one if the areas overlap in the campaign.

I don't suppose there is anyway to join two maps together? That way you could use the border between two 4 x 4 maps.

Maybe in a future update the facility for larger maps could be reinstated?

Thanks again

slippy

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2014 at 7:58 PM, FG ODIN said:

i have dwnld this map, and can say WOW :eek: i have this map opened after load time ca.10 min, what i see that my ram go to 95% :eek: and i have install 24 GB ,my graphic card 100 % (GTX660TI) fraps after load 15fps :D , and that without troops :D but is a fine map gigantic panorama :D but not playable in this dimensions, i have after reduced to 4 x 4 km again opened no problem think that is limit for maps (have this test with Stug Brig. 45 x , 2 x pz.Gr.Btl. + 3 Kpn rgt. troops ari pio and at, russian 5 x tank btl mid + 3 btl MP hvy + support ari at etc., full playable for me fps 28 - 32 , is a great engine compliment....

Does anyone else realize how ridiculous this sounds? 

There are 100 russian tanks alone, A full stug battalion, at least 2 infantry battalions on a 4x4km map and hes running it like a dream. Does RAM really effect performance that much? HmHmHm. Thoughts anyone?

Also- he loaded radzy at 5.7x5.7km. I was never able to do this. But Ive always had 16gb ram. 

On 3/15/2021 at 1:12 PM, snarre said:

some of thous master maps , you canot ewen open as 1 big map . game crash then .

I will figure out the secrets bro. 

But having better PC specs will let you load larger maps. This is a fact. Especially graphics card and the central processor. 

Maybe ram too 

3 hours ago, snarre said:

there is limit still , ewen i have high end gaming pc 

You should have no issues loading every map except for Rad Full-2. Which is 5.7x5.7km, almost 36km^2 on one map!

Otherwise ive never seen a CM map over 20km^2. 

Rad Full-2 was the only map I was never able to open entirely. I always had to trim it down. 

My specs were : Intel I5 2500k (2011 model), Nvidia GTX 480 (Old too), 16gb ram.