3.0 Upgrade for Normandy + Red Thunder

And it almost certainly won't be a package. Might as well buy RT now and start saving the $10 for the v3.0 upgrade to BN in a couple of months. Unless they decide to make October '44 to end of war in the ETO a series of additional modules for BN, rather than the originally-aired plan to make a new family for the Autumn onwards, the only new content for x2v2 games is going to be packs, when they're eventually released, and they'll only require x2v3 if they include flame. Which is actually pretty likely.

And it almost certainly won't be a package. Might as well buy RT now and start saving the $10 for the v3.0 upgrade to BN in a couple of months. Unless they decide to make October '44 to end of war in the ETO a series of additional modules for BN, rather than the originally-aired plan to make a new family for the Autumn onwards, the only new content for x2v2 games is going to be packs, when they're eventually released, and they'll only require x2v3 if they include flame. Which is actually pretty likely.

I'd like to see it tossed in with the funnies from D-Day.

I'd like to see it tossed in with the funnies from D-Day.

Yeah, I anticipate that BFC will continue the policy of bundling the $10 upgrade for $5 if bought with a pack that includes material that requires the upgrade, and the Hobart's funnies would fit that bill, since it would almost certainly include flame tanks.

I frankly don't know what BFC's going to do with 3.0 for CMBN. They charged a nominal fee for the v2.0 upgrade because a LOT of additional work went into it. Normal maps had to be produced for every single vehicle and much else besides, you can't just give away months of hard work. Maybe 3.0 will just be an extra-large free patch, maybe they'll charge some small amount just to cover the overhead. Imagine your German AA gun now shooting skyward at approaching Thunderbolts. :)

One solution is to include extra content with a v3 upgrade, so there is better "feel" about getting value.

But that is unlikely as BFC's stated policy is that content is kept separate from upgrades. Content is included with modules or in Packs. But as MikeyD says, there may be some chance that there will be a bundle package with the v3 upgrade and the first BN pack.

Michael

I understand the policy. Am talking re the psychology of marketing so that customers perceive value etc...

heh heh that is a slippery slope. Most of us perceive value in just getting access to the additional features in the upgrade. It becomes a steadily declining value proposition to case after the "entitlement" group who can't correlate the cost of doing business as part of the value.

On top of which trying to add additional content will slow the release of the upgrade.... How many would pay a little extra to have sooner, or in other terms forego additional content to have it sooner?

"Most of us..."

Weeeell, do you mean "most of us in these forums...?" That's a different world than the real one hehe.

And personally, I think there are now SO many CM offerings that it's become impossible to keep up with em unless playing em is a full-time job. Not complaining about that. But, I for one am not impatient re new releases as I feel I already have enuff to last a couple more years b4 I get bored (if ever). (I know I seem to be in the minority on that one. But, am very happy that BF is taking its time so it can release increasingly polished product like CMRT that does not appear to have any significant problems.)

I frankly don't know what BFC's going to do with 3.0 for CMBN. They charged a nominal fee for the v2.0 upgrade because a LOT of additional work went into it. Normal maps had to be produced for every single vehicle and much else besides, you can't just give away months of hard work. Maybe 3.0 will just be an extra-large free patch, maybe they'll charge some small amount just to cover the overhead. Imagine your German AA gun now shooting skyward at approaching Thunderbolts. :)

AM NOT tech savvy--just a "single player" vs A1 in all CMBN Etc. Campaigns and Battles. ---------------Question -what does upgrades such as 3.0 do or mean or effect what I do or play ? Would I want to replay a battle or Campaign that I had previously finished ? Thank you.

That's a good point. One doesn't want to go the way of Kubrick and Lucas with technology triumphing over content. I also do not want to replay scenarios let alone a campaign just cos there are some added graphics or a weapons system has been tweaked.

And no, I could care less about seeing an AA gun firing at a plane unless it enhanced the scenario challenges. Playing the game is what it is about for people like me, not looking at enhancements and getting into heated discussions about arcane aspects of a rifle butt. However, I appreciate that it often seems that many on these forums like discussing those details (more than they actually play the game).

I think CMSF2 will be a big hit because one looks forwards to huge improvements that will essentially make it a new game in the same sense that CM2 is more advanced than CM1.

Hard one to call. Some features could drastically alter game play (I am thinking changed FO behavior here). One wonders if the school of hard knocks will be fundamentally altered or not. Maybe later players will wonder what all the noise was about. :D

The tweak for AT guns is another that could potentially impact some scenarios. Not sure if anyone has gone back to CMBN scenarios to see how infantry close combat and AT weapon changes impacted earlier scenarios. The changes for hull down spotting is another.

I also expect you might see new versions of some scenarios when BF releases the packs for CMBN - flamethrowers would be real interesting to see in the Arnhem battles.

With BF working to keep the game engine up to date across all the families it will be interesting to see how this plays out over time. The issue I will run into is I never completed a lot of the content in even CMBN so lord knows how they may play out compared to the designers original intent when I get around to playing those.

Hard one to call. Some features could drastically alter game play (I am thinking changed FO behavior here). One wonders if the school of hard knocks will be fundamentally altered or not. Maybe later players will wonder what all the noise was about. :D

Only being able to service one call for fire at a time would make SoHK even more difficult.

The tweak for AT guns is another that could potentially impact some scenarios.

I really doubt that.

Not sure if anyone has gone back to CMBN scenarios to see how infantry close combat...changes...

D'wuh? [wakes up a bit] There have been changes to close combat? I missed those.

...infantry...AT weapon changes impacted earlier scenarios.

I think that one just changes the flavour of the scenario to "more historical" by keeping armour at a respectful distance from buildings, rather than being able to rush up to point blank with impunity. In heavily built-up areas, ManPAT was always something to consider, now you just have to consider it from more angles.

The changes for hull down spotting is another.

Again, I don't think that will change very much. The few times I've had "pivotal" (places where the tank stayed for a significant period of time and dominated some ground, denying it to the enemy) hull down positions, they didn't seem to have any difficulty identifying and killing targets reliably. Most of the time, Hull Down seems to be a fleeting thing, and achieved mostly for the comfort of the perception.

With BF working to keep the game engine up to date across all the families it will be interesting to see how this plays out over time. The issue I will run into is I never completed a lot of the content in even CMBN so lord knows how they may play out compared to the designers original intent when I get around to playing those.

Agreed. I shan't be buying RT for a good long while yet. There's plenty to keep me busy with MG.