Where does the ISU-122 fit in?

lurrp

I suspect the reason there were "spare" 122mm guns was that they were not so popular for the regular artillery - where their long range was not overly useful and their smaller throw weight more of a problem - much like the British 4.5".

According to wiki about 2500 122's were made, viz about 6900 152's - see also the annual production rate at RKKA

I note that the number of ISU-122's & -152's made was almost identical at 1910 and 1885 respectively.

Stalin's O - the British 4.5 inch carried a charge of only 3.9 lbs of TNT to a range of 18 km. The Russian 122mm gun carried a charge of 3.8 *kilograms* of TNT to 20 km. The Russian gun was a far superior weapon. It outranged the standard German divisional pieces by 7-8 kilometers. Only the German 150mm Kanone and 170mm Kanone outranged it. It was a very useful counterbattery piece, and was fielded alongside 152mm gun-howitzers precisely to take the longer ranged missions.

Looks like an IS-3 to your right.

Indeed, it is:

266_zps9d474468.jpg

And, since we're on the subject, here's some more shots of the 152 and the museum's SU-100:

268_zpsdf21ff1e.jpg

269_zps4806d96e.jpg

253_zpse26b810d.jpg

251_zps340e888a.jpg

(I believe that second one is a version for command and control, IIRC).

And I checked my notes, and indeed the two 152s on display at Latrun were captured during the Six-Day War.

That's an Archer behind, is it not?

Yes, it's an Archer:

200_zps75123e10.jpg

I like how they air-dropped that Sherman right on target...

Heh, yep that's kind of the centerpiece of the museum. They had to remove the engine from the Sherman, so that the weight would not be too much for the (former) water tower to hold (it could hold 25 tons, while the Sherman weighed 34 tons).

c3k - that was my immediate thought, as well. At least in the US field artillery, we generally had a separate ammo "track" for every howitzer. It was a tracked and enclosed vehicle, just no gun on it. Its job was to bring ammo up to feed the guns, with the same cross country mobility and protection as the gun mounts themselves.