New player, where to start?

Hi guys I'm a new player eager to start having fun with the series...I've seen ton of footage on youtube and I like very much what I've seen (except the in-house fighting which seema to be a mess...correct me if I'm wrong)... So right now I'm studying the manual and playing the demo to get acquntained.

Question is: where should I put my money first?

Thannks!

Btw I'm an Asl and Combat Commander player so you can get the picture of the itch I'm going to scratch playing cm

as a relative newbie myself, I would recommend playing the smaller scenarios against the AI. There's a lot of commands to learn, and a lot more to learn about how to use those commands to their best effect. Once you get the hang of things, look for humans to play by email (PBEM). Enjoy.

Depends what you like the most.

CMBN has the ETO draw. CMFI has more variety of terrain and equipment/TO; Italians are a very different proposition to Germans.

And then there's the imminent RT, which will be the first issuance of the newest shiniest version of the engine, as well as opening the OstFront to our gaming delight.

If you're convinced by the demos, I'd say "pick one and get everything there is for it". You have to get the base game (FI or BN) and it'll just be confusing when you graduate to HvH gaming if you don't have all the issued product for a given theatre. You could buy the expansion Modules at the point you want to go up against a live opponent, but then you won't be familiar with all the new goodies.

A word of warning (that really should be on the packet): the campaigns (except for the tutorial one) are not all there to lead you through learning the game. Some of them are unforgiving of inexperience. A second word of warning is that there's no real "learning progression" in the scenarios. Some of them are much harder than others, and it's difficult to tell which, so don't be surprised if you get your hat handed to you in short order to begin with.

where to start first? The demo. Play that to make sure what you see is what you like.

There are free demos for both CMFI and CMBN so you can get some feel for the differences. If you find you do like the game, then I am sorry to say you are gonna eventually end up with everything anyway so it just matters where you want to start. CMBN is more claustrophobic with hedgerows etc at least initially. CMFI is much more wide open and as an allied player your Shermans will make you feel like you own the uber tank, at least for a little bit.

CMFI covers a longer period so your choices in kit are more extensive assuming you also get the Gustav Line module and you get seasonal variations including snow.

Urban fighting is a mixed experience to be sure, but I wouldn't write it off. I actually really like creating urban terrain in CMFI. It stresses the weak points in CM more, but it is still a blast...no pun intended.

From an economical POV you'd be best waiting for CM:RT as that will be the latest version of everything in one game for one price. If you enjoy that you can go back and buy CMBN and/or CMFI and all their modules and upgrades which in total will cost significantly more.

If money is no object then you could start with any game series. Just be aware that CMBN and CMFI will only be optimal if you buy all the modules and upgrades.

The RT AAR's inspired me enough to get into this game again.

I played CMSF quite a bit, but with CMBN I never really got into the slugging match of the bocage. (I was shocked by the lethality after playing all those NATO troops in Syria.:eek:)

But I just acquired version 2 of CMBN together with CW & MG, and I also own FI and GL.

Now I would like to start a campaign, preferably one with a bit of room for manoeuvre, but one where you can go forward even if you make mistakes.

Which one(s) would you suggest?

... I would like to start a campaign, preferably one with a bit of room for manoeuvre, but one where you can go forward even if you make mistakes.

Which one(s) would you suggest?

Road to Montebourg or Die Letzte Hofnung from BN. Not Courage and Fortitude if you're appalled by casualties :)

A Moment in Time from MG will not stop you playing all the scenarios even if you completely implode in every one, since they're all depicting events happening roughly simultaneously, but it's less a campaign in the traditional sense, in that you don't follow the fortunes of a single formation through the progression. Some of the scenarios are quite challenging, too.

Hi guys I'm a new player eager to start having fun with the series...I've seen ton of footage on youtube and I like very much what I've seen (except the in-house fighting which seema to be a mess...correct me if I'm wrong)... So right now I'm studying the manual and playing the demo to get acquntained.

Question is: where should I put my money first?

Thannks!

Btw I'm an Asl and Combat Commander player so you can get the picture of the itch I'm going to scratch playing cm

Welcome aboard PatGarret! I too am an ASL player and know the learning curve associated with CMBN, Market Garden, CMFI, and Gustav Line. As you can probably tell, I have all of them.

My suggestion is that you play the smaller all infantry scenarios against the AI, and try out ALL the commands to learn what works for your style of play. Then progress on to the combined arms scenarios and do the same. After that find a patient partner for head-to-head (H2H). The real plus is that you don't have to keep a 3-inch manual, dice, and combat tables next to you. CM does all that for you!

Also, check out Bil Hardenberg's, fabulous "Tactical Toolbox" in this forum. Be patient and have fun. This is just a game, but what a fantastic game!

Thanks to all guys...I'm already pretty much sold on the game...even if I already found inexplicable "things". The demo level (the first of the raff levels) requires my scout to go on the second level of a house in order to spot an enemy unit far away...I do it but no spotting...so I check the los with the target tool....and here it is the problem, the bocage blocks it!

Where is the problem? In the tutorial description or in the los mechanic???

Thanks to all guys...I'm already pretty much sold on the game...even if I already found inexplicable "things". The demo level (the first of the raff levels) requires my scout to go on the second level of a house in order to spot an enemy unit far away...I do it but no spotting...so I check the los with the target tool....and here it is the problem, the bocage blocks it!

Haven't played that in a while, but note on spotting. The tool is looking for a particular level in the spot you are looking at. It could be you would be able to see something in that location, but not the ground level itself. Give it a little bit, you may see something yet.

No matter the game you choose to start with, I can only advise you to watch the Combat Mission Tactics Episode videos made by Armchair General. These videos helped me a lot to understand how to use military tactics in the game

You can find them on youtube, here is the first episode ;)http://youtu.be/OZ6dDlqye9Q

I think Battle for Normandy is a good first choice because it contains the tutorial campaigns plus The Road to Montebourg wich is one of the best campaigns and not so "hard" one. But it's also a lot of bocage fighting, close range engagements .. can be a little boring after a while

Yeah, that guy didn't really spot anything for me either. I just got on with the instructions for the level and used him to call in artillery on areas where my other troops managed to spot the enemy. I read somewhere that something changed somewhere along the line and the guy doesn't really do what the tutorial says he should any more.

Another suggestion; read through the Market Garden Beta AARs by Bil Hardenberg (Germans) and C3K (Brits) in the stickies in this forum. Also read the beta AARs by Bil Hardenberg (Russians) and Elvis (Germans) in the Red Thunder forum. Extraordinary in their depth and prose and you'll be able to glean much from the excellent players.