A plea for one small change

JRMC1879

Can BF make the Action spot highlighter much darker (or at least have an option for it) or make it more visible at higherr zoom levels.

Both in CMBN and CMFI plotting long moves is made much more difficult because the higher you zoom out the more difficult it is to see exactly where you are plotting the action spot.

I feel just this one simple change would remove a lot of the need for constant zooming in and out when plotting long multiple moves.

What chance is there we can have this ?

Someone posted a request re waypoints that would automatically show the AI path your units would take when it's a far off waypoint so as to eliminate those times when your pixeltruppen would take unexpected and fatal routes.

That seemed an xnt idea. But, haven't heard more about it...

Against the idea: ugly. BF cares about aesthetics more than you realize. But any player aids, like Commands lines, are okay if they can be toggled off.

Dont get that at all. Its just the action spot not asthetics at all. Its only visible when you are plotting a move and its just the highlight under the mouse cursor. I am not talking about all action spots - just the highlight that appears under the mouse when plotting a move.

And as I say - they could make it an option - for people like you who strangely find the mouse cursor asthetic so offensive.

I agree that long movements are somewhat indeed tedious but... why does making the AS spot darker help?

Because its easier to plot long movements at higher zoom levels.

I find the action spot fades into the back ground too mach at higher zoom levels to near invisibilty - especially when it comes to plotting a move agaisnt a wall or fence.

Someone posted a request re waypoints that would automatically show the AI path your units would take when it's a far off waypoint so as to eliminate those times when your pixeltruppen would take unexpected and fatal routes.

That seemed an xnt idea. But, haven't heard more about it...

Erwin, you thinking about this, that I posted and we had a brief exchange of posts about? (In the CMFI thread on new ideas):

I know this has been raised before (probably many times ...), but wanted to bump it back to a new post again: showing movement paths that will actually be used in the turn when the unit in question cannot actually follow the path prescribed by your waypoint(s). The recurrence of this as an issue for me in an ongoing H2H game made me wish for this again so much!

But also, a possible implementation method that I don't think I've seen suggested before? (If I'm subconsciously stealing someone else's idea, apologies!) Given that we don't want processor cycles taken up with redundant work, and some people may not want or use this, and even someone like me who would, would only need it occasionally, how about:

- if you double click on any waypoint, intermediate or final, the game calculates and sets the actual path that will be taken, with added intermediate waypoints as appropriate, from that unit's current location to the selected waypoint.

Thus limited move lengths, for specific units, can be calculated and plotted: you only get the game to show you what might be the iffy bits, where you are not sure what will happen when the move starts. If you want to test lots or a little, the choice is yours.

Once plotted after the double click, the waypoint(s) become just as if you had created them yourself - but in the knowledge that the unit WILL now take that route; the waypoints could then be moved and / or deleted (or the movement method changed) just as with user created waypoints.

This would allow you to select a unit, set one waypoint where you want it to finish up, double click that waypoint and see how the engine will get you there: if you like it, it's done; if you don't like it, amend or scrap as you wish.

Any takers?

But I wasn't thinking only of "far off" waypoints, but any that seem to cross e.g. narrow gaps or doubtful terrain: just to make sure that the unit WILL follow the (perhaps) "shortcut" that you intend, and not set off on a long-winded, round about route to get to a nearby, as the crow flies, destination.

I too would like to see the idea get more traction - if enough of us find it desirable ...

I just don't understand people's fascination for playing the game at such a height that it turns into a board game. It seems everyone I know plays the game 2 camera levels higher than I do.

Well - playing Hot Mustard at the moment - and plotting the moves for two full battalions at ground level or slightly above is just not feasible in the time I have. Plotting moves at higher zoom speeds things up when you already know what you want to do.

Its not about turning it into a board game - its about making a slightly clunky interface into something more manageable in larger scenarios.

Two full battalions broken down into split squad is a freaking load of units - and doing all those moves at level 1 or 2 is tortuous.

Because its easier to plot long movements at higher zoom levels.

I find the action spot fades into the back ground too mach at higher zoom levels to near invisibilty - especially when it comes to plotting a move agaisnt a wall or fence.

Well - playing Hot Mustard at the moment - and plotting the moves for two full battalions at ground level or slightly above is just not feasible in the time I have. Plotting moves at higher zoom speeds things up when you already know what you want to do.

Its not about turning it into a board game - its about making a slightly clunky interface into something more manageable in larger scenarios.

Two full battalions broken down into split squad is a freaking load of units - and doing all those moves at level 1 or 2 is tortuous.

Oh yes. Absolutely agree. (I was thinking tanks where there was no highlight to start with.) Whenever in a big scenario I've always got a sore finger and a melting hot middle mouse wheel. If the AS if more identifiable at high zooms it's much better for sure.

PhilM: Yes, whether it's just for difficult terrain or far off locations, having the game show how the AI would plot the movement lines and waypoints would be very useful. My most common reason to justify replaying a turn is that my men move along an unexpected route (that makes no sense to me) and get shot up.

It often turn out that the building has a door that "doesn't work" or that gap in the hedge is not a gap, or it's not large enuff for a particular vehicle, even though other vehicles have passed thru.

PhilM: Yes, whether it's just for difficult terrain or far off locations, having the game show how the AI would plot the movement lines and waypoints would be very useful. My most common reason to justify replaying a turn is that my men move along an unexpected route (that makes no sense to me) and get shot up.

It often turn out that the building has a door that "doesn't work" or that gap in the hedge is not a gap, or it's not large enuff for a particular vehicle, even though other vehicles have passed thru.

Yes. The TacAI is pretty good often, but when it fails most often for me is "enter that building". Sure Sarge, but we won't take the safest route. Even if you've drawn us a straight line. We will run out of cover and jink into the open street FIRST, then mill about as we're killed.

I usually end up accepting it as being a way of giving the AI opposition a bit of a chance. Only problem is, his guys will do it too. I don't like micromanaging, but there are times when leaving it to the TacAI makes for some real blunder moments.