East Front literature!

Anyone read Russian? Goncharov's book ОПЕРАЦИЯ «БАГРАТИОН» (ISBN 978-5-9533-5544-5) has tons of information on the battlefield(s), opposing forces, and the course of the operation.

I bought it, I think on your recommendation, but haven't read it yet.

Also, I just saw this upcoming Osprey title on Amazon--is anyone familiar with this author's work? Generally I'm not a big fan of Osprey's titles other than for their color plates, but I've never seen this series before.

German Infantryman vs Soviet Rifleman (Combat)

David Campbell

http://www.amazon.com/German-Infantryman-Soviet-Rifleman-Combat/dp/1472803248/ref=pd_rhf_dp_s_cp_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1DYS1W6WQZ7BC6E6FFR6

Too bad that he's a bit of a German 'fanboi'. He makes a lot of sharp criticism of the conduct of Soviet operations which is sometimes deserved, sometimes undeserved. He's a man with a thesis, and he'll put his head inside an oven if he needs to.

For instance his insistence on how 'retarded' - or words to that effect - were the Soviets by operating on broad fronts in the offensive. "Broad" front offensives were meant to prevent the German counterstrokes: who were masters of the art of killing with 'backhand blows'. I doubt very much he would have heaped so much scorn on Ike - who was the mastermind behind the broad front approach, I think, in the Western front - as he did on senior Soviet generals.

It's true his analyses of anything Soviet are pretty cranky, but he is just plain full of resigned disapproval when recounting the wierdness of German behavior -- for example Model's moves to get troops out of commands he was leaving and into commands he was taking over. He spends a lot more time turning a jaded and mildly horrified if slightly amused eye on German administrative mental gymnastics than he does on the Soviets -- no doubt mostly due to his sources which are almost entirely from unpublished German documents. Years of reading that stuff must have had an odd effect on his judgements, but still I think his work is valuable and fun to read.

• 5 months later...

I read a lot of military history. I have had on my list for a long time and finally just got around to reading Tooze's "The Wages of Destruction" on the Nazi economy.

I have to say this is one of the most fascinating and illuminating book on WW2 which I have read in a long time. I would highly recommend it to any WW2 history buff.

It is a long book, but written in a very readable style. A real page turner.

Managed to get a super deal on a new copy of In Deadly Combat. Now I know why so many people here have unhesitatingly recommended it. What a fabulous read, and from a perspective I'd never encountered before! Not to mention bonus points for discussing captured Chenillette's as gun tractors! Any IPMS members out there? Here's an opportunity for something different in your next Eastern Front project.

Regards,

John Kettler

Speaking of which, what has happened to our young cat molester? He disappeared around the beginning of summer, but I figured that he had gone away somewhere that was without a net connection or was busy working at a summer job. But I thought that with school now underway he'd be back home again.

Michael

Speaking of which, what has happened to our young cat molester? He disappeared around the beginning of summer, but I figured that he had gone away somewhere that was without a net connection or was busy working at a summer job. But I thought that with school now underway he'd be back home again.

Michael

Don't worry i'm still here. Summer was a very busy time for me with more working hours (grocery store ive been working at the past year 1 1/2), got a girlfriend and have been spending time with her, also working out/training/running. Just about everything really.

I have not had much time to post or keep up with forum matters but i do lurk and have several PBEMs running ATM. But things have slowed down much from what they were and will start posting more.

Good seeing that you were worried Micheal, much like my old man, well... you are old so there's that. :D

Don't worry i'm still here.

Not really worried. More like curious.

...got a girlfriend and have been spending time with her...

You do realize don't you that in order to be a true CM-ite you will have to give up all semblance of a social life. This game demands total dedication so be prepared to divest yourself of such trivialities as sex or a healthy diet or even frequent trips to the bathroom.

Michael