Cannon Company.

Been getting back into CMBN recently and just noticed a unit called "cannon company" under the infantry tab. It has an on-map HQ unit and vehicle, cool. But added it and no on-map guns, just the HQ...?

Uh, what's the point? Or does it require Market Garden to get the on-map tubes?

Apocal,

I haven't used the unit in the game, but I can tell you what Cannon Company is. Cannon Company is the Regiment CO's artillery unit, and unlike the typical U.S. M101 105mm howitzers with their shields and all that, these are stubby and have no shield. Originally developed for the Airborne to give some power to supplement the 75mm pack howitzers, the M3 105mm Howitzers were also issued to U.S. infantry regiments. Cannon Company (6 tubes, 2 tubes per platoon) is to Regiment as 81s are to Battalion. Organic fire support. I'd presume the HQ unit is tied to the guns, which are offboard. In addition to the good info in the Wiki, the pic which first introduced me to this weapon is also there. It's a censored wartime (unit patches airbrushed out) pic of one firing on Germans retreating near Carentan, July 11, 1944.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3_howitzer

Regards,

John Kettler

Been getting back into CMBN recently and just noticed a unit called "cannon company" under the infantry tab. It has an on-map HQ unit and vehicle, cool. But added it and no on-map guns, just the HQ...?

Uh, what's the point? Or does it require Market Garden to get the on-map tubes?

Everyone else gave you pretty good info on the real world unit but you stated you already knew that. Pertaining to the game - there is no on board option to see the 105's as you already know. They are just artillery that you use the HQ unit as the spotter. From my experience playing the game you can get the rounds in faster if you pick a single "forward observer" unit to make the call. From what I remember they are around 2 min faster.