Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Need some input for Cuff Titles

Saferight

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Benpark your CW stuff is great as well. The SS helmets came out good but everything else is proving to be a PITA to make at least look half way decent from the front. Its not as hard as the cuff titles but i'm still learning to use PS.

Anyway I've decided i'm going to make a big mod for all the German helmets Heer, LW, SS and maybe FJ. Tons of options plain helmets, decals, Normandy camo, burlap, net, chicken wire, and helmet covers all in one mod.

I gotta see these Heer helmets in game (not sure how much the screenies are enhancing them) but I have to say they are some of the best uniform centric textures I have ever seen in any CM game. That middle helmet on the right (guy with the smaller faust) is my favorite. Really top notch stuff. More people should be in here commenting.

I'd really love to see some of these plain helmets for the SS and Luft!

Mord.

That middle helmet on the right (guy with the smaller faust) is my favorite.

That would be one of the helmets with glare. There's one set of matte finish and one with "shiney". I'm going have a file in the mod folder containing the file names for all the helmets to make it easier for everyone to mix an match whatever helmets they like for LW,SS, etc. Just takes the end user a little bit of time copying an pasting names to make whatever combos they prefer.

I agree with Mord. Those helmets really have a painted metal look. I'm curious, since you are still learning PS, how you managed those textures?

Excellent!

I sold my soul to Satan the prince of darkness.... j/k I've messed around with paint since i was a kid an now I've found a Ferrari in PS. I really haven't even scratched the surface of it yet. These are from real photos that I've re-sized, color/brightness adjusted, stretched then trial an error getting both sides to match up so the front doesn't look too much like a rorschach test.

Helmets are particularly tough to do! The wrap around is mind bending to get right.

Mine kinda look like they've taken a ax to the forehead at first. Yours and also Vein's CW ones are very realistic.

The helmets do look great. It's amazing what a little bit of textured specular can do. By and large the textures in CM look quite flat and short of BF adding a specular shader it needs to be painted in. It might not always fit exactly with the lighting direction but I think the trade off is worth it.

The helmets do look great. It's amazing what a little bit of textured specular can do. By and large the textures in CM look quite flat and short of BF adding a specular shader it needs to be painted in. It might not always fit exactly with the lighting direction but I think the trade off is worth it.

I agree with you but BFC has their own artistic direction an generally their work is damn good. They are a small company and many factors come into play determining the look of their games we all have to consider that. These helmets though remind me of the 1st or 2nd Call of Duty i think they were first with that specularity on the helmets at least in my memory.

I have to figure out normal maps for these possibly. the vent holes and bolts don't match up with the stock ones on most. Or i can stretch more or move an make it match up?

i54f.jpg

I agree with you but BFC has their own artistic direction an generally their work is damn good. They are a small company and many factors come into play determining the look of their games we all have to consider that.

Sure, it wasn't a criticism at all, just a statement of the current situation.

I have to figure out normal maps for these possibly. the vent holes and bolts don't match up with the stock ones on most. Or i can stretch more or move an make it match up?

Assuming that the normal maps place the vents in the right place, you'd want to alter the colour map to fit. You could cut them out and move them and then use the clone/heal brush to fix up the helmet. The normal map and colour map use the same UVs, so you can use the normal map in Photoshop as a guide where to put them.

Sure, it wasn't a criticism at all, just a statement of the current situation.

Assuming that the normal maps place the vents in the right place, you'd want to alter the colour map to fit. You could cut them out and move them and then use the clone/heal brush to fix up the helmet. The normal map and colour map use the same UVs, so you can use the normal map in Photoshop as a guide where to put them.

im going to do this when im not ripped off my ass thanks Regiment0

The size looks fine to me. Really awesome work! I am loving them.

Here's a couple quick references—see if you are happy.

1sel.jpg

tbx4.jpg

hv0t.jpg

25xn.jpg

As nice as the camo ones looks I will use way more of the grau types. I've always been into that look more, going all the way back to CMBO.

Mord.

@Mord thanks for the reference. i kinda was doubting myself on that.

I've uploaded the 12 painted helmets i have done as of now along with updated Splinter helmet covers. I'm just going to release some of them as i go along and later will compile them into a single mod. No normal maps for now but i plan to have those for the final release.