Play CM and get an MA Degree

I am currently in an MA program and was browsing some of the electives that I can take as part of my program. One class that caught my eye was WWII on the Eastern Front and this is the list of requirements.

• Stumbling Colossus: The Red Army on the Eve of World War
  • Stopped at Stalingrad: The Luftwaffe and Hitler's Defeat in the East, 1942-1943
  • Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin (battlefront game available at www.battlefront.com)
  • Ivan's War: Life and Death in the Red Army, 1939-1945
  • Zitadelle
  • Ostkrieg: Hitler's War Of
  • War of the Century: When Hitler Fought Stalin

I never knew that the hours I thought I had spent wasting my time can now be turned into credit for an MA degree. I decided to check out another class and you must buy one of the following.

• Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord OR Combat Mission: Afrika Korps OR Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy OR Combat Mission: Fortress Italy

Even better news as I can now tell my wife that I have tons of homework so no time to carry out the garbage. (even without the game, it is an interesting bibliography)

Combat Mission: >check

Stopped at Stalingrad: >check

We're on our way, boys!

The book, written by Joel Hayward, is the best I've read on the subject. I'm not surprised it's considered "required reading".

Disclosure: No, I do not receive any royalties.

The book, written by Joel Hayward, is the best I've read on the subject. I'm not surprised it's considered "required reading".

I had him as a lecturer a few years ago. Nice guy.

Edit: and good book :) Apparently his biography of Nelson is outstanding.

Canada Guy,

Words fail me! Also, that's as blatant a posting of a forbidden commercial link as I've ever seen. Oh, wait...

BFC,

Perhaps the most clever set of product placements ever! Mind, that's my charitable explanation! What a remarkable way to get new gamers into the fold, unless they've already succumbed to E-crack's blandishments.

Regards,

John Kettler

Myself, I am going towards an MA in Military Studies (Major - Strategic leadership - which is why I am such crap at tactical CMx2).

I have one elective slot though and was thinking of either WWII on the Eastern Front that is actually part of their MA degree in Military History or a class entitled Modern Tactical Thought . I had thought about the Military History degree myself as I did a BA in History/Political Studies but focused on China/Japan. The Military History list of classes actually looks very good. Thought I would go for something different this time round though. Was even thinking about Intelligence Studies as they also have an MA degree but that may be too far off of what I had previously studied.

I just need the MA for my job but not any specific degree. Strategic Leadership though sounded as close to something a large organization wants. Russian tank battles and spies are harder to justify, but probably more my cup of tea.

I am currently in an MA program and was browsing some of the electives that I can take as part of my program. One class that caught my eye was WWII on the Eastern Front and this is the list of requirements.

• Stopped at Stalingrad: The Luftwaffe and Hitler's Defeat in the East, 1942-1943
  • Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin (battlefront game available at www.battlefront.com)
  • Zitadelle

Is Michael Dorosh the professor?

John,

I actually liked TACOPS and was it not a retired Colonel that was programming it? That was a long time ago on a very (now) obsolete Mac. For Modern Tactical Thought, I never did check the class requirements so perhaps CMSF will be included.

I cannot register though in the Eastern Front class yet though as my copies of CMBB do not work on my computer. I will have to wait at least until Bagration comes out.

• Zitadelle

I never knew that the hours I thought I had spent wasting my time can now be turned into credit for an MA degree. I decided to check out another class and you must buy one of the following.

• Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord OR Combat Mission: Afrika Korps OR Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy OR Combat Mission: Fortress Italy

Even better news as I can now tell my wife that I have tons of homework so no time to carry out the garbage. (even without the game, it is an interesting bibliography)

This is quite remarkable. Is this at the University of Saskatchewan? I'm at York presently and used to go to the University of Toronto and there are no courses even remotely like this at either university. I feel like many history departments more or less ignore WWII, let alone get into the nitty gritty tactical stuff.

altipueri

It happened once I upgraded to 8.1. Screwed up many a things on my computer. I plan to get it fixed as soon as my class is finished in December. I have a ticket but don't want to distract myself too much.

Chudacabra

I wish this was at the University of Saskatchewan as it would have saved me a tosh load of money. No, unfortunately I am doing my entire degree on-line through AMU/APU. Good school and enjoyable so far but I may switch to the University of Saskatchewan once I have completed enough classes and just do the thesis here. UofT and York are good schools as is the U of Sask but I find most Canadian institutions very staid and to get the critical mass this would need to be on-line. Not too many prairie boys want to study WWII in depth. At least not enough to offer a full program with specialized profs.