[NEW PREVIEW] Juju's TweakedUI v3 + skinpack

Juju

At first glance you might think: "what's new?"

At second glance you should see that the UI has had a major overhaul. It's a lot cleaner/sleeker and features lotsa new buttons and many other major and minor tweaks, while still staying 'true' to the original feel. One might say it has (finally) grown up. :)

Most optional files have made the cut, but some few have been dropped. In one case (US ranks) one of the optional sets has become the default and vice-versa.

That said, some changes will probably not be to everyone's taste, but hey, these things happen. ;)

Also featured in this pack are 12 all-new skins to spice up your UI. Most are based on ww2 camo schemes, but there's wood, rusty metal and Hello Kitty as well!

If anyone can supply me with a good picture or photo of the British airborne denizen smock, that'd be great. There are not enough Allied camo patterns to begin with.

It's pretty much done (but then, I always say that). Still needs a little tweaking and testing, of course. Release will be at the end of the week.

On a side note, the Desktop General Edition of my UI has not been changed in this release. Also, It will no longer be updated. It's been fun and all, but it's just a hassle updating two versions of the same mod. When the next module is released I will probably phase it out completely.

Juju

Juju

Juju

AbsoFRIKKIN awesome. :D Can't wait for the release!

Only one little suggestion: I'd change the ranks to something resembling the correct structure better - sounds funny, but some rank insignia are wrong and the Kriegsmarine structure in itself is incorrect as far as my research goes.

AbsoFRIKKIN awesome. :D Can't wait for the release!

Only one little suggestion: I'd change the ranks to something resembling the correct structure better - sounds funny, but some rank insignia are wrong and the Kriegsmarine structure in itself is incorrect as far as my research goes.

Thanks Earl!

I kept the ranks as they are in the stock game. At least I think I did (I'll have to check to make sure). I don't think I would have changed them on my own as I don't know squat about all these rank structures. I may have changed some, following a rank structure discussion in the preview thread while making v1.1, though.

I'm also afraid that if I switch things around now other people start complaining that that's not right. BTW, You're the first one to comment on the rank structure since version 1.1. Are there many errors?

EDIT: Oh, come to think of it, what you see in the preview is NOT exactly how it is in game! Some icons are missing and some are just there to fill up all the 'slots.' Unless you're talking about the actual structure in the mod.

Thanks Earl!

I kept the ranks as they are in the stock game. At least I think I did (I'll have to check to make sure). I don't think I would have changed them on my own as I don't know squat about all these rank structures. I may have changed some, following a rank structure discussion in the preview thread while making v1.1, though.

I'm also afraid that if I switch things around now other people start complaining that that's not right. BTW, You're the first one to comment on the rank structure since version 1.1. Are there many errors?

EDIT: Oh, come to think of it, what you see in the preview is NOT exactly how it is in game! Some icons are missing and some are just there to fill up all the 'slots.' Unless you're talking about the actual structure in the mod.

The rank structure especially relating to the German military is incorrect at times. I guess it depends on how pernickety you want to get. It does irk me a little but as you said it doesn't seem to worry most and is the effort required in straightening it up worth it.

Well, the problem is that the rank structure how it works in the game is rather different from how the ranks worked in real life or at least they set it up differently to conform to some internal rules.

From what I can tell the system is based on the modern US rank structure (like seen in CMSF) - that's why there are so many slots to fill in the first place. Then the different branches had somewhat different responsibilities rankwise or some ranks got left out (the SS nerve knew a Stabsgefreiter or Oberstansgefreiter for instance).

Some insignia simply are depicted wrong (like the Luftwaffe senior NCO - no Luftwaffe rank insignia ever had FIVE wings on it) or mixed up (like the Kriegsmarine) due to conflicting sources.

And then there are some which don't seem to be used at all or I#ve not yet seen ingame.

I can't be 100% sure my version is completely correct, but at least the insignia are and the relative order of the whole lot. But since you're redoing everything I just thought I'd point it out - maybe we could include a different rank layout and let people test it in action. One guy alone can only do so much and I'm pretty sure I have overlooked one or to details...

I think that, for now, I'll leave things the way BFC 'intended' it to be.

About that rank layout, that's an entire discussion in itself I'll let you guys have fun with. If you can all agree on thing I'd be happy to do the work and include it as an option, at least. But not for this release!

Yeah well that's it so far only 2 of us have shown any interest and I just substitute it in my head anyway and get on with the game.

But...possibly for the Kriegsmarine would be to drop those two crossed anchor ranks, shift everything back a couple of steps, take out the cuff stripes and put in the HEER officer ranks with a navy blue border. That might get it a little closer. Dunno how doable that is, I feel rude even suggesting stuff as I seriously appreciate the time you've put into this as it is.

I've had a bit of time to think about this and what it comes down to is that my mods are, and have always been, purely visual. Eye candy, and nothing more. But switching around ranks is basically messing with the rank layout/structure BFC must have put there for a reason. I'm uncomfortable doing that. That's not what my mods are about, I feel.

Probably the best way for you guys that know about this stuff is to get BFC to listen to your suggestions and do something about the rank system in future releases or patches. It's really something for the developer to 'fix', not an eye candy modder. I'm sure you guys understand.

Yeah, I do - in th end, you're right. Cosmetic mod is cosmetic mod and trying to fix something that can't really BE fixed isn't the point of the mod. And releasing an add-on or option pack is always possible.

I'll talk to Steve about the rank structure - it always bugged me and I'm sure he had his reasons for setting it up that way but maybe we can get a more comprehensive structure in the future. We'll see.

For the time being I'm simply astounded what you're doing with the UI and can#t wait to see it live! Get on with it! ;D

Probably done this before and will do again. Salute!

No idea but is this work you and Marco do work ripped from other titles? Why this isn't in retail releases still alludes me. Improves the game immensely, thank you. :)

I use Marco's vehicle silhouettes, which he no doubt made using the in-game models. Every other element was either made from scratch or is in some way based on a photograph or picture. No content from other titles here. :)

Thanks guys!

@Astrocat: About those flags, I did try. But where the yellow icons over the flags in the files you posted work quite well, mine are just too large (the vehicles mostly) and there's too much contrast. The flags kind of 'cancel out' the icons and the icons totally obscure the flags. It's just not working. Sorry.