Mother F***ing Flyboys

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I read that operations research analysis of Typhoon attacks showed they only had a 4% hit rate...

If I'm remembering the same operations research analysis you are, IIRC 4% was roughly the chance of a Typhoon on a rocket run actually KOing a tank that it could see and was aiming at under test range conditions (target stationary, no AA fire, good visibility, etc.)

While I don't know of any hard stats on this, It's a logical conjecture that if you're talking about a salvo of rockets fired into a concentration of units, it's much more likely that at least one of the rockets will land close enough to *something* to cause casualties and/or systems damage.

I think the research in question was to discover all the causes of destruction of German tanks, and the 4% (if that is the correct figure; I think it is close) refers to that proportion destroyed primarily due to aerial attack.

Michael

Two different sets of research.

There definitely are figures out there estimating overall % of German tanks in the ETO KO'd by Air Attack. Depends a bit on what study you read, but regardless it's not all that high a proportion. However, IIRC it's higher than 4%... more like 8-10%, I think. There's a pretty large margin of uncertainty though, because in most studies I've seen a pretty high proportion of the German tank losses are listed as "unknown" or "abandoned".

During the war, the RAF also did some bombing run tests to discover just how effective F/Bs were at hitting and KOing tanks with rocket attacks. These are the tests I'm thinking of. It would take some digging to find them again, but IIRC a 4% "kill chance" is in the right ballpark for what the bombing run tests found (again, under ideal, test range conditions, which indicates that the actual chance of a F/B KOing a tank on any given attack run under real combat conditions would be somewhat less than 4%, even against a stationary target in the open).

Besides tanks, how much of the other stuff did air attacks take out? Trucks, half tracks, prime movers, artillery. The German army relied on horses and don't think horses and air attacks go well together.

Air attacks is also disruptive. The Germans were masters of mobile defense and counter attacks and it pretty hard to do that when the enemy rules the skies.