No FG42?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we CMSF fans would "happily" pay the price for a new game. The interesting question is whether there would be any bleed over/compatibility with the proposed new CMSF2 games. (I understand they will be set in an earlier era.)

Redone CMSF would be CMSF2. Working title for the new modern game is "Black Sea". It is set in near future, not earlier than CMSF.

Ah... I had the impression from his post that Steve was talking about upgrading the existing CMSF even though we may have to buy it as a new game.

That is also correct, we plan at some point in the future to get Shock Force up to date with the latest engine. It's going to be a major undertaking though. A lot of changed in the CMx2 engine in all these years!

Really glad that I heard that comment by Steve correctly.

I am sure it will be a lot of work. It will be most appreciated by us CMSF fans. I'm sure we'll be willing to pay a decent price for it.

With all the engine improvements etc, it would be essentially a new game, but hopefully much easier to develop than something brand new that hasn't been done b4.

That is also correct, we plan at some point in the future to get Shock Force up to date with the latest engine. It's going to be a major undertaking though. A lot of changed in the CMx2 engine in all these years!

Happy to hear those news! :) CMSF is a classic game that deserves to be up to date.

Thanks!!

Correct. CM is written for one core and will forever stay that way. The amount of work it takes to support multiple cores is far in excess of whatever benefit we'd get from it. Do not think 8 cores = 8 times faster. It simply doesn't work that way. The GPU is far more important than the CPU.

As for performances issues, we are aware of some changes made to drivers/hardware in newer cards which don't work the way same way as older cards (which CM was written for). More about that soon.

We are also in the unfortunate position of having limited programming resources. The cost of the programmers on a single AAA game probably exceeds everything we've spent on CM since 1997. There's just no way we can deliver that sort of experience within this niche.

Steve

Doesn't this mean that as time goes by and more people move to newer and newer technologies that at some point the games will be unplayable.

My new PC is now 2 years old and CM is probably the worst game to play on it, where as my laptop which is now 7 years old plays it OK. It was a top of the range Viao at the time but CM is about all that works on it now, where my PC can play loads of modern games without any problems.

So when I want to upgrade my PC in a year or so, will I still be able to play CM?

Good news is that eventually we will revive Shock Force to use whatever the latest engine is. It's a huge amount of work, but we think it will be worth it.

Steve

Is that really worth the effort since SF2 will be out next year? After all SF is set 6 years or so in the past now, and while I still enjoy it occasionally I'm not sure I would upgrade an old game set in the desert.

Is that really worth the effort since SF2 will be out next year? After all SF is set 6 years or so in the past now, and while I still enjoy it occasionally I'm not sure I would upgrade an old game set in the desert.

Absolutely! The cool thing is you don't need to purchase it- not interested- then don't - save your money. However many of us as noted above definitely want to see CMSF get upgraded to be current engine not only because the new features that it will get immediately, but also because it adds to the number of families that will be kept current going forward.

If you haven't played Normal Dudes Airborne campaign TF Panther then perhaps you can be forgiven not understanding why those of us who really love all the scenarios and campaigns that have been done for CMSF get a second life. That one alone would justify the effort...that and LLF's Ramadi map.... dang I could go on all night citing all the great work various folks have put into the game.

Doesn't this mean that as time goes by and more people move to newer and newer technologies that at some point the games will be unplayable.

My new PC is now 2 years old and CM is probably the worst game to play on it, where as my laptop which is now 7 years old plays it OK. It was a top of the range Viao at the time but CM is about all that works on it now, where my PC can play loads of modern games without any problems.

So when I want to upgrade my PC in a year or so, will I still be able to play CM?

This kinda applies to all games out there.

Try playing the original Sid Meyer's Pirates on your PC...

But alot of old games are still playable using emulators and such, which is what you'll have to use if you want to play old CM games in the future.

But as the technology keeps advancing, so will CM.

There will never be a point where relatively new CM games will be completely unplayable on newer computers.

As to why your PC is worse with CM than your old laptop, It might be that because some manufacturers assume that all games will be multi-core they often have a slower core speed per core than usual.

But I doubt that it's because of that. BFC would have to explain the details on those kinds of things.

Absolutely! The cool thing is you don't need to purchase it- not interested- then don't - save your money. However many of us as noted above definitely want to see CMSF get upgraded to be current engine not only because the new features that it will get immediately, but also because it adds to the number of families that will be kept current going forward.

If you haven't played Normal Dudes Airborne campaign TF Panther then perhaps you can be forgiven not understanding why those of us who really love all the scenarios and campaigns that have been done for CMSF get a second life. That one alone would justify the effort...that and LLF's Ramadi map.... dang I could go on all night citing all the great work various folks have put into the game.

Yes, I can understand that, haven't played TF Panther but might just try it soon as my CMBN isn't working because of DRM issues. Still, I'm not convinced that it will significantly improve CMSF which can at times be simply a NATO fire power demonstrator.