No FG42?

So I decided that I wanted to check what sound the FG42 used in the game since it doesnt have its own in the files, so I made a scenario with the two different FJ battalions.

Not a single FG42 to be found!

So I tried again, thinking that it might just be very very rare.

Tried three times with two full battalions.

Still no FG42.

Did it not make it into the game?

If so, why not?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found it, 2 minutes work. FJ parachute battalion, Sept 44, a VERY rare weapon in the game. To my mind it functions rather like a German B.A.R., though people will fight me on that assessment ;)

CMFI Gustav Line has the early version with metal stock, MG has the later version with wood stock and repositioned bipod.

FG42late_zps700232c5.jpg

Hmmm... I just tried again and it popped up again. I don't know what date it first shows up. I'm finding it around Sept 20 Holland. Among the Beta folks there was a joke that the gun was showing up once-per-battalion. If it shows up at all it should show up more often than that, 1-2 per Company perhaps.

REPORTING FOR PUBLIC SCOLDING!

Since I wasn't wearing my glasses (cuz I don't need no stinkin' glasses!) I had used the kriegsmarine instead of FJ (assuming that they had their own grouping in the editor).

So no wonder I didn't find any FG42.

That said, I did find them now... and there is a problem.

They use the Kar98k sound. And in my soundmod, that has a bolt action sound added to it :(

So now when the FJ use the FG42 to fire full auto you will hear a smattering of bolt actions afterwards :(

I guess I'll have to change my mod to remove all the bolt action sounds now (can't have them on lee-enfield and springfield if they aren't on the mauser).

I just don't understand why BFC didn't use the now available gun rifle.wav/gun 7 single.wav sounds that used to be the default for all rifles?

In the vanilla game it sounds the same as all other rifles, so I just don't understand why they used the kar 98k sound :(

Hmmm bit of a bummer on using the Kar sfx for the FG42, maybe they can switch it in the next patch? I'd really like to keep a few reloading sfx mixed in for the bolt action rifles.

I doubt they would do that just to placate the few users that actually have soundmods with bolt action sounds installed... :(

It is supposed to be quite rare, but it seems it got to be more rare than expected sometime while making the Module. I'm going to look at this again tonight and see how i can increase the chances of seeing them a bit more, though only a bit.

As for unique sound effects, you can do a search on this topic and find a lot of threads about it. Bottomline is that sound effects are a massive hit to computing resources so we keep them to a minimum. Allowing Mods has been inadvisable as well since we try very hard to not allow people to overwhelm their computer's abilities. Because guess who gets blamed first when the framerate drops or games start crashing? Let me give you one guess :D

Steve

It is supposed to be quite rare, but it seems it got to be more rare than expected sometime while making the Module. I'm going to look at this again tonight and see how i can increase the chances of seeing them a bit more, though only a bit.

As for unique sound effects, you can do a search on this topic and find a lot of threads about it. Bottomline is that sound effects are a massive hit to computing resources so we keep them to a minimum. Allowing Mods has been inadvisable as well since we try very hard to not allow people to overwhelm their computer's abilities. Because guess who gets blamed first when the framerate drops or games start crashing? Let me give you one guess :D

Steve

Not unique, just a switch to use something not associated to a bolt action rifle :)

Maby the MG34 sound? (gun 7 lmg.wav) or even one of the now unused old rifle sounds?

:D

Just suggestions... especially since alot of the soundmods have bolt action sounds on the bolt action rifles.

Steve

Is anything in the plans for overcoming this problem? To be fully honest it's quite lame, for example, to hear the Thompson and MP40 using the same sound.

Is anything in the plans for overcoming this problem? To be fully honest it's quite lame, for example, to hear the Thompson and MP40 using the same sound.

I do hope you are aware that the thompson and the MP40 use different sound files, it's just that the vanilla game has the same sound in both those files right?

Try using a soundmod once :)

I do hope you are aware that the thompson and the MP40 use different sound files, it's just that the vanilla game has the same sound in both those files right?

How exactly does this improve performance? In the end both files would have to be loaded by the game, right?

How exactly does this improve performance? In the end both files would have to be loaded by the game, right?

It allows modders to make different sounds for those two very different sounding weapons.

But it also saves the developers time and effort by just keeping the same sound and copying it to that new one.

So if you want different sounding SMG's, you can. Just install a soundmod.

But if you are just using the regular sounds, they are very light on the taxation of your system (they are "light and easy" sound files).

If you start using soundmods, you might experience performance drops.

From the start, the game (CMSF at least) didn't even have more than 1 sound for every type of weapon (1 smg sound, 1 mg sound, 1 rifle sound and so on) for almost all of the weapons in the game.

So the garand used the same sound as the kar 98 and the springfield, for example.

This was changed due to heavy demands for more sound files by the players.

So this was a compromise.

Is anything in the plans for overcoming this problem?

No, because it isn't a single problem. It's the way sound files are loaded into memory and recalled. It's about the size of those sounds and the impact on RAM. It's about all the other demands CM is placing on the various components of the average computer. It's about modders paying little attention to these problems and creating mods that literally break the game, for which we get blamed first.

If this was a simple problem to address we'd already have unique sounds for every weapon. And would have from the start. Overall it is just "fluff" for the game and it's not worth bringing the whole thing crawling to a halt for something that very few people would even appreciate. Obviously, based on your posts, you're not one of those people :) Speaking as a fellow gun nut, who has been fortunate to use or witness firing just about every WW2 US, German, and Soviet gun I can sympathize. But my personal interests have to be kept in perspective.

Steve

Yes, I am. I've just been too lazy to try a sound mod, and I'm very picky about sound mods at that.

No, because it isn't a single problem. It's the way sound files are loaded into memory and recalled. It's about the size of those sounds and the impact on RAM. It's about all the other demands CM is placing on the various components of the average computer. It's about modders paying little attention to these problems and creating mods that literally break the game, for which we get blamed first.

If this was a simple problem to address we'd already have unique sounds for every weapon. And would have from the start. Overall it is just "fluff" for the game and it's not worth bringing the whole thing crawling to a halt for something that very few people would even appreciate. Obviously, based on your posts, you're not one of those people :) Speaking as a fellow gun nut, who has been fortunate to use or witness firing just about every WW2 US, German, and Soviet gun I can sympathize. But my personal interests have to be kept in perspective.

I dunno Steve, I wouldn't exactly call it fluff. :) To give an example: if I hear a rifle shot or SMG burst right now, I have to look all over the map or rewind the game to try to find out whether or not the sound was from friend or foe. I wouldn't exactly call that a great game feature. To me it's a bit disappointing, given the attention to detail in the rest of the game is and has been given.

But yeah, you're right: my opinion is colored by the fact that I either own or have fired almost every nation's WW2 service rifle and/or carbine. :D