How many of you give the AI a few free goes?

I'm down in my seaside retreat in Devon* (where the sun actually shone today) and I have only an old XP laptop and a dodgy internet connection.

So I played a CMBO scenario called Schwarxwald Bridge (should be a sed where the x is but the laptop key doesn't work anymore!).

Anyway, it was short (13 turns) and intended for H2H but the scenario designer said if playing against the AI give it two turns without doing anything. So I did. With predictable consequences.

But in CMBN I can't give the AI a chancewithout getting blasted.

So how many of you can give the AI a few free turns?

* For US people this is where many US troops massed before D-Day.

(And my little mum, then 18, was a warrant officer in charge of a 3.7" anti-aircraft gun - later in action near Brussels in December 1944).

If it's a scenario, usually any extra handicaps aren't necessary...

If it's a QB, the fresher the map the more refined AI setup zones and plans usually are...I got burned many times in the vanilla CMBN QB maps but since I've been mostly playing on CW QB maps or MG maps and they seem have less "AI clustered into a single action spot in the far corner" type of setups...

I also buy the AI Crack or Elite troops with high motivation to make it more challenging... (maintaining FoW is troublesome but you can buy troops for the AI while drunk or high or concussed or whatever a night before) :D

I think that the AI in CMx2 is the game's biggest weak point. I feel it is consistently extremely poor and only challenging when static in a strong defensive position.

I expect your talking about QB's rather than a well made scenario..big difference.

If not I bow to your tactical genius..

I suspect a lot of players don't even realize when they do it. :) They perhaps play ten minutes into a scenario then abandon it for 'movie night', only to come back again 'for the first time' a month later. Or they quit after getting so decimated in an ambush that further play is pointless - but next attempt they'll know where that anti-tank gun was and will plan accordingly. Basically everybody is George Patton by the 3rd run-through. :D

That's why I like wargames that have a good random scenario generator - each game is different.

With a wargame that has a limited number of scenarios no matter how much you try not to cheat youself "black intelligence" tells you that anti-tank gun is at the end of the road on the right.

That was why for me the CMx1 random scenario generator was (is) so good.

The scenario I played mentioned in the original post - now if I go back and play it again this evening I know roughly what the enemy had and where it emerged from - so sure I can do better. Fortunately of course it's only myself I'm fooling, which doesn't matter.

I think that the AI in CMx2 is the game's biggest weak point. I feel it is consistently extremely poor and only challenging when static in a strong defensive position.

I think tactical AI is pretty good, but the fact that AI plans are totally fixed to predefined timing, that is the weak point. If we had triggers and things could advance based on what is happening on the map, scenario designers could create extremely interesting things.

Just like now there can be several AI plans and one of them is randomly selected, there could be several such alternative AI plans for how things should progress for different AI groups (think how the next battle of campaigns is now decided, but in AI plans there could be more branching from which to select).

Maybe triggers will be added in 3.0? That would be great news. I usualy only play h2h but with a more "advanced" AI Id play more solo.

What strikes me yet again is the beauty of BFs new system with the cmx2 engine and how it evolvs and "old" families being able to be brought up to the same standard as new ones for a modest amount. I love that.

Just checked number of scenarios and operations/campaigns on my PC

CMBO 92 11

CMBB 60 10

CMAK 61 7

CMBN 20 5

The CMx1 was the CDV 3 pack version 1.12E CMBN is 1.11

For reasons too ancient and complicated to remember or explain I have 3 copies of CMBO and two each of CMBB and CMAK and I recall the single pack games had fewer scenarios, although one of the CMBO came in a large box with printed manual and a second CD with additional scenarios.

Needless to say I haven't played them all,, but I've got to save some for my retirement.