BATTLE DRILL - A CM Tactics Blog

I just added another section to the Battle Command section of the Tactical Toolbox.

If intrested stop by the blog to read the new Estimate the Situation post.

More to come hopefully in the next few days, so stand by. I am also working on the next scenario that will allow you to apply this stuff in a real game setting.

Very helpful remijnders even for experienced players. Thank, Bil. BTW: R U planning to update your WW2 floating icons? I still love em, but I think the latest CM2 versions may need your mod to be updated a bit.

Hey Erwin, sorry I meant to answer this question... yes, sorry for the delay on those. I will complete my mod edits to the icons and get those uploaded as soon as possible (perhaps by the end of the weekend) for both CMBN (up through MG) and for CMFI (up through GL).

Cheers, Bil

That's excellent news. Thanks, Bil! Despite the wonderful floating icons made by other designers, I prefer to use the modern-looking ones in CMSF and your WW2 era ones for the WW2 series of games. (And they work well in both CMBN and CMFI.)

Right now in my WW2 games I noticed that (at least) the recon, engineer and HQ icons default to the modern icons (so may be missing?). Not sure what others need to be checked.

That's excellent news. Thanks, Bil! Despite the wonderful floating icons made by other designers, I prefer to use the modern-looking ones in CMSF and your WW2 era ones for the WW2 series of games. (And they work well in both CMBN and CMFI.)

Right now in my WW2 games I noticed that (at least) the recon, engineer and HQ icons default to the modern icons (so may be missing?). Not sure what others need to be checked.

Erwin, I just went through my icons and the only ones I believe that need to be updated are the SPAA icons, everything else should be there, including recon, HQ, and engineer icons.

If those three types are not working in your set then there must be something else going on. Conflicting mod perhaps?

Bil

I thought this was neat, Battle Drill translated into French and the main site: www.combatmission.fr

Next up on Battle Drill is a section on Reconnaissance, and the Platoon Attack Drill will be added to the Tactical Toolbox.. a new scenario is in the works as well, where you will be tasked with doing an estimate of the situation, perform recon, and attack an objective using the Platoon Attack Drill and the other drills and movement techniques that I shared previously.

Cheers, Bil

Erwin an update for you, I have completed updating my icon mod, I am running it through some tests and should have it up in a day or so.

You want to talk laborious, try reinstalling CMSF... The newer CM2 titles are a snap by comparison.

But, it is SO worthwhile getting CMSF up and running again. Really fun to have maneuver on large maps again. :) Looking forward to the new CMSF v2 Steve keeps temptingly hinting at.

I can see that if I want to keep up, I am going to need to do a re-install CMBN, a laborious process I have been putting off as long as possible.

:(

Michael

You should always be up to date Michael! ;)

It'll be 3 or 4 days before I am ready with the new scenario anyway and have all the information posted that I need as pre-reading and background material prior to the scenario.

So install CMBN up to the latest patch this weekend and hopefully by next Monday or Tuesday you should have something to experiment with.

You should always be up to date Michael! ;)

Bil, I am 70 years old and already past my "best by" date. :(

So install CMBN up to the latest patch this weekend and hopefully by next Monday or Tuesday you should have something to experiment with.

Thanks. I will contemplate making the effort (which BTW will entail trashing my existing copy and loading all the modules, upgrade, and relevant patches). Plus, Mavericks seems to have a problem recognizing BFC as a legitimate developer/vendor, and that requires time spent at the Helpdesk. It could be a long weekend...

Michael