BATTLE DRILL - A CM Tactics Blog

• 2 months later...

Thanks BP... yeah I do hope to add to the scenarios and to the Tactical Toolbox but have not had the time since I started my new job in April.. plus other commitments have interfered with updating the blog.

I have a Platoon Attack Drill scenario pretty far along.. but haven't looked at it in a while. I need to dust that off and see if its worth continuing with or not.

I apologize for the delay.

Thanks BP... yeah I do hope to add to the scenarios and to the Tactical Toolbox but have not had the time since I started my new job in April.. plus other commitments have interfered with updating the blog.

I have a Platoon Attack Drill scenario pretty far along.. but haven't looked at it in a while. I need to dust that off and see if its worth continuing with or not.

I apologize for the delay.

No stress. Nice to know you haven't abandoned the project.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Major tactical problem is the AFV AI pathing.  I wish this one thing was fixed it is been in every game and they will not FIX IT.

Yet we still have to pay for updates we really didn't need but to play nice with others we are forced to.  This isn't the arguement just a point.

I hate losing because of idiot AFV AI pathing.  FIX THIS I would pay $25 just for this fix and maybe a SOP doctrine but not as critical.

Major tactical problem is the AFV AI pathing.  I wish this one thing was fixed it is been in every game and they will not FIX IT.

Yet we still have to pay for updates we really didn't need but to play nice with others we are forced to.  This isn't the arguement just a point.

I hate losing because of idiot AFV AI pathing.  FIX THIS I would pay $25 just for this fix and maybe a SOP doctrine but not as critical.

Not sure why you posted that whinge in this thread... but while we are on the subject.  

AI paths are what they are.. the game can't read your mind... use more waypoints to ensure they do what you want them to... I rarely have problems with vehicles moving where I don't want them to.. sure once in a while (as in my Red Thunder BETA AAR), but C'est la guerre... that's war.  

If you are losing the game because of the AI pathing I contend that there is more wrong with your approach to the game than that.

• 1 month later...

I have micromanaged the waypoints addeum and the pathing isn't a always/never but it is a issue and that is my point.

To continue to deny/debate that it isn't is not my point either.

Bugs that a inconsistant are the hardest to fix but nonetheless this is still a bug.

The work arounds are great but are not the long term solution.

The AI pathing for infantry still has holes as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure why you posted that whinge in this thread... but while we are on the subject.  

AI paths are what they are.. the game can't read your mind... use more waypoints to ensure they do what you want them to... I rarely have problems with vehicles moving where I don't want them to.. sure once in a while (as in my Red Thunder BETA AAR), but C'est la guerre... that's war.  

If you are losing the game because of the AI pathing I contend that there is more wrong with your approach to the game than that.

I'm not losing because of it, but when you carefully plot thru the woods and set the movement to slow/move and the unit decides that screw the movement paths I'm going out to the road and go slow to make sure all the support weapon assets has a shot at it as it merrily goes down the deadly path.

I'm not losing because of it, but when you carefully plot thru the woods and set the movement to slow/move and the unit decides that screw the movement paths I'm going out to the road and go slow to make sure all the support weapon assets has a shot at it as it merrily goes down the deadly path.

I had a similar problem, once in FI a few years ago trying to get them to go through a vineyard, and more recently in BS trying to get them to walk through heavy forest. The solution in both cases was to give them very short movement legs with lots of waypoints. This kept pretty close to the route I wanted them to take although there was the usual minor wandering. At least it prevented them from getting shot at.

Michael

You can carefully plot movements for a platoon for a good few turns...

Do you mean plot moves for several turns ahead of time? No wonder you run into ambushes. I seldom plot more than the next action phase, and even then I sometimes run into surprises in the woods. But a lot can happen in a turn in terms of revealing an enemy position. I want to be able to take advantage of that new information without having to delete a whole bunch of work and plotting anew.

Michael

Do you mean plot moves for several turns ahead of time? No wonder you run into ambushes. I seldom plot more than the next action phase, and even then I sometimes run into surprises in the woods. But a lot can happen in a turn in terms of revealing an enemy position. I want to be able to take advantage of that new information without having to delete a whole bunch of work and plotting anew.

Michael

I plot moves for several turns ahead of time.  It allows me to keep the flow of events pacing in a way I want them to.  The movement paths are usually no longer than 50 meters but if I suspect or have run into something usually 10 to 20 meters plus taking advantage of terrain, pause and target briefly buttons.  It allows me to have very good bounding movement by squads supporting each other while closing the distance to the enemy without giving them (ENY) precious seconds to recover and offer a critical defense.  Of course with each command phase I can alter or delete movement and fire sections to suit the particular issue at hand.  It works quite well IMHO. 

I really miss these - I learnt a huge amount from the Battledrills blog, and it would be great to see platoon/company attacks have the same treatment. I still play through that example squad attack scenario, from time to time.

I'm not sure if some of the other battle drills (clearing trenches, etc.) are relevant to CMBN?

I really miss these - I learnt a huge amount from the Battledrills blog, and it would be great to see platoon/company attacks have the same treatment. I still play through that example squad attack scenario, from time to time.

I know this project hasn't received a lot of love from me recently and I apologize.. I do have a company attack series, with tactical instruction and a few scenarios in the works. 

Not to make excuses but I have had a lot of upheaval in the past year and a half, including getting laid off, and am now in my second (and more comfortable) job in that time frame.  I hope that is all over and I can again turn to the Tactical Problems project.

Bil 

Edited by Bil Hardenberger

I have started a new series of posts on the Battle Drill blog, the introduction is up now: RIFLE PLATOON LEADER

Starting with the Rifle Platoon I will cover the following topics:

RIFLE PLATOON
  • Approach March
  • Scouting
  • The Attack
  • The Defense
  • The Pursuit
  • The Support Platoon Role
  • Integrating Support Teams into the Platoon

Approach March section is almost completed and will be posted this weekend.  I will try to do at least one post in this series each week, followed by the supporting tactical problem scenarios.  I hope this series makes up in some way for my lack of posting content.

Edited by Bil Hardenberger