Multiplayer System [Suggestion]

Now that Battlefront has moved on from core game mechanics and has started to really polish up the whole experience, I would suggest your multiplayer could use some loving. I shall outline some features which I genuinely feel would improve the game and yet still remain realistic.

1. Server browser/list. This adds the ability for folk to host and have public players join their server without having to track down someone using a forum or giving out personal details. It also means the MP community can grow and MP is more streamlined.

2. Multiple player teams. I'm not just talking simple joint task force 2 or 3 versus 2/3. I would love to see a team comprising players based on the units in the mission. For instance if the engagement is roughly a company on each side, five players would make up the teams. One player in command of the company commander and his immediate supporting assets. One player would then be in command of any other supporting/reinforcing assets for that given mission. The final three would each command a platoon. While the CO would not have complete control over his surbordinate units, he should be able to issue commands to the players on his team which should show up on their battlefield. Please note that if the player's communications are disrupted then the CO would not be able to communicate and issue orders to the rest of his team. This is a basic outline, it would obviously need tweaked and refined but I feel it could add some rather awesome emergent gameplay.

3. More multiplayer oriented scenarios shipped with games release.

4. Multiplayer Campaign: A group of players can choose to enter a series of games in which they play missions from a larger campaign. The units that are depicted should reflect the disposition on the campaign map, and remember any losses incurred in previous games. The campaign should be emergent, with the teams of players issuing broader orders to friendly assets in order to outmanouvre and engage the enemy. I'm not sure if players should be given command of a specific group of units on the campaign map which they also fight with in the games, or that the team as a whole dictates the army's movements and then they all contribute to the battles. This mode should also be available for all numbers of players (scalable).

5. Reputation system: Players should be able to vote (once per match) their opponent up if they feel that they enjoyed the experience with no problems, and flag unwanted behaviour. Repeated flags should result in a badge or trait which indicates said player frequents this particular behaviour (for instance being a sore loser and quitting before the end of a match, or deliberately crashing to desktop and insulting language).

Thats all folks! If you have anything to add just tap those fingers.

:) Hey, this guy must be new around here. Basically your entire list has been requested multiple times by multiple players. The problem with getting those features in has been BFC's lack of manpower so they have to prioritize what gets done and what is left on the shelf. We've been told that each one of those items would be many months worth of work and at the moment they don't feel the payoff is worth the time spent on them. Things may change in the future though so you never know.

Suggestions are always welcome though so don't hesitate to keep them coming. ;)

Indeed suggestions are good for BFC to hear. No one needs to make all of this in one big bang. For instance having a sever that connects people for H2H RT play would be very welcome - from the sounds of previous posts. I have no desire to play H2H RT but if you do there needs to be away to connect with opponents. Existing ladders and this forum are not well suited since they usually use PM, posts or emails to communicate. Not exactly RT. Some of the other things you are looking for can be done to some extent via the operational layers that are being implemented and discussed on this forum. But none of them will cover everything you are asking for though.

Hey, yeah you got me. New guy.

Thanks for the feedback, sorry to go and beat the same tune I know it can be annoying when fresh meat sign up and start spraffing stuff they think is totally original yet has been in discussion for a long time.

Anyway, there is plenty more where that came from!

Thanks for the feedback, sorry to go and beat the same tune I know it can be annoying when fresh meat sign up and start spraffing stuff they think is totally original yet has been in discussion for a long time.

Well, I for one only find it annoying the odd time some one tacks on "this game sucks without <pet feature> and I cannot believe it is not already in". That is the only time I get annoyed.

When new people come in and ask for the same or similar features I think that sends a good message to BFC - the features are wanted. We just need to make sure that the new guys understands that we thought of it too :)

Keep them coming - that way, as I say, BFC can see what features actually have an interest.

Just needs to integrate a matchmaking API -Gamespy or similar.

Amazingly this looks more difficult than I would have expected. Gamespy looks like it is going through some turmoil and at any rate is not free to use so we, users, could not easily setup something there. Not to mention that with the review site shutting down it is unclear if this will survive.

I also found Spring. They have a lobby server that is an open source project. We could do the work needed to get that up and running. It does not look like it would be easy though since it is really built to link Spring engine based games up.

The only other thing I found that actually looked really good on paper was Glou which was proposed and started design as an open source game lobby but it never got of the ground at all.

Any other solutions out there that anyone knows about? For something like this to be implemented by users it would need to be an open source or other free service that we could run our own server for.

quite a few clubs around to join

including the one i've been in for over a decade

http://webandofbrothers.de/index.htm.

now back on topic

im certainly keen for a multiplayer system overhaul.i dont have the time to fumble about with the current CM1 style,its been very unreliable for me,just getting the correct details is chaos,however,using CM1 itself presents no problems on the same PC.

needless to say i dont bother anymore.

a lobby would be nice ,dedicated server options etc

a modern system with all the bells and whistles please

but if RT is the only option in later releases,its pointless,unless turn based is supported.

"When new people come in and ask for the same or similar features I think that sends a good message to BFC - the features are wanted"

Well, if we are to be allowed or even encouraged to repeat earlier feature requests, may I put in a plug for a long wished for multi-player item?

I know WEGO over TCP/IP is never going to happen for CM2, that was made very clear a long time ago. However, a replay feature for RT has been mooted and it seems it might be possible. So replay for RT multi-player with an automatic pause every, say, 60 seconds would be wonderful.

Um, yes it is going to happen, albeit without replay.

Really? I must have missed that announcement. However without replay I can't see much point to such a feature. I suppose it will make some people happy, whether enough people to make the development effort worthwhile I don't know. Presumably Battlefront do and it's their game and their money so I'll shut up about it.