New file at the Repository: Primosole Bridge, Fight to Survive (2013-07-07)

This is a fight for survival. The British force is out numbered, out gunned, and surrounded. They have parachuted scattered and missing all heavy weapons. Their radios don’t work. Even worse, they only have a quarter of the troops that should be there. Amazingly, they still think they can accomplish their mission! It’s the first day of Operation Fustian, July 14th, 1943. You take command of the 1rst Airborne Brigade. The mission, capture the Primosole Bridge from the Italians and beat back the German counter attacks. The dilemma, are you going to save your force from annihilation, or are you going to hold out at the final objective? This is an all infantry brawl. The Green and the Red Devils are locked in a battle for their existence. The British, a wrong decision and two battalions of crack British Airborne troops are written off. The Germans could push too hard and fail to recapture the bridge. The British 8th Army would have a free ride to Messina and doom the axis forces in Sicily. Against the AI, it is recommended to play blue side. However, the Red side has its fair share of challenges. This scenario is best played head to head. The first hour is a teaser. The second hour….. is a fight for survival.

More...

• 3 weeks later...

Nope, the map is my creation. I had a blast making this scenario. There are so many ways to fight this one. As the British player, you can stand your ground and attempt to hold off the German attack..... or, do what General Lathbury did and withdraw. I hope you guys enjoy this one. Remember, the real fun comes playing head to head with this scenario. It gets wild.

• 3 weeks later...

Pleased to report i am just about to start a head to head fight using this great looking scenario. Very much looking forward to a tough fight.

Only comments so far, great briefing, sets the tone and gives plenty of information. There are a couple of typos in there and also wonder if you give a little away about what the German intent or forces might be? Doesnt actually tell you what they are but you can surmise from whats written...whereas you shouldnt really know anything other than intel or local partisan reports about forces known to be stationed nearby...pretty sure the FJ were an unknown element?

Also, the times of the battle state very early dawn hours yet the map appeared as full daylight. Be a bit more atmospheric advancing on the bridge in dawn lighting conditions.

Realistic looking map though :)

Sure you have already seen this:- http://www.paradata.org.uk/content/primosole-bridge

Isnt day2 with the DLI covered by a BFC scenario with the game...or is that day 3/4?

Phantom, I'm past the first hour and looks like I'll be mopping up the Brits soon on the North side, and the Brits' perimeter on the South is shrinking. I loved the timing of things in this scenario...the Brits came on strong, smashed the Italians, then Germans arrive but because of the high temperatures, they have to be moved slow and can't intervene until the Birts get into position. And those pesky Paras are tough!! I have taken more casualaties than I expected, even moving slow and methodically.

You did an excellent job on this scenario...working the fitness and experience levels, and the timing of the reinforcements. It really felt like an ad hoc German response, piecemeal until all the reinforcements get into place. Plus, I love playing the Fallschirmies!

Great job!

I can't wait to read your results of the battle. Are you playing the British? The scenario does begin at 1300 hrs. I combined the British attack in the early hours with the German attack later in the afternoon. It gives the German player a better field of fire from the sunken road.

Yep playing the British against a human German/italian, exciting stuff!

Only 20-30 mins into the battle via pbem so far.

Brit paras are engaged with Italians around north and south bridge ends as I close in. More troops defending than I expected initially. Adds to the tension!

Not a criticism but Not sure why you feel the Germans need extra advantage from the daylight considering they will be the stronger force I assume? If anything the Brits needed lower light to get in amongst the bridge defenders without being shot at from range as they plod forwards, whilst conserving their own ammo.

I see your point Jaeger. However, one thing with the German counter attack, the British player must feel overwhelmed on the north side of the bridge.

(A slight spoiler)

German mg positions setup on the sunken road are (and were during the actual battle) the deal breakers with open fields of fire. The British command knew their forces had to withdraw or be destroyed. In the scenario, I gave the German player the advantage on the north side. The counter attack had to start in the afternoon.