Assualting Infantry Frustratingly Difficult

After playing the new Bear Claws scenario I found my self painfully frustrated with infantry assaults on buildings.Even after pummeling buildings ,and even destroying them, with my assault guns I found that my infantry could simply not take the either the buildings or ruins left behind. I'd imagine that the cannon blast or the building collapse would pin the enemy infantry inside long enough for my troops to run over with the quick command and shoot them while the enemy is still cowered.

Erwin, try hiding everything in the woods in the centre of the map when you hear the aircraft flying over. Lots of concealment.

But I know what Pewpew is talking about - damn those Yanks are stubborn in this scenario. You'd think they'd be considered pinned for a little longer than they actually are.

They hit one squad pretty hard, though after the AA truck showed up, the plane(s) seem to have disappeared. I was lucky that the bombs missed their targets I guess.

Just to note/emphasise/remind: the AA truck will/would have no effect whatsoever on anything to do with CAS, except to present an additional target. This seems unlikely, from Steve's comment, to change any time soon, possibly ever.

Pretty much any time you're assaulting somewhere you want to maintain suppression for as long as possible. There should be no gaps in your fire. In the turn your troops approach the ruins, the supporting AFVs should continue to fire Target Light (button your TCs on shermans, and don't use .50cals) at the rubble. Your assaulting unit should stop for at least 10s, maybe even all the rest of the minute, if the defenders are very stubborn indeed just outside the building, with a Target Area in the building, so they'll chuck some grenades in. If your're going to be hanging around outside with your assaulters, you'll want to find some way to curtail your own suppressive fire once the assaulters are at their last waypoint before going in, or you'll suppress them and they won't.

Personally, I favour Slow moving into the actual objective, if there's no reason to rush and I anticipate opposition. Slow moving troops will pause and return fire much more readily than Quick moving ones, and maintain far better situational awareness so they spot any lurking active threats much quicker.

Edit: and slow troops given a short cover arc (just the building they're fighting in) have a chance of not being spotted by the enemy in the next row over. Quick or Fast movers often end up getting mown down by the next layer of defense.

So in regards to granades, do they count as small arms and don't cause friendly fire?

Oh, no, they can cause Blue on Blue casualties for sure. I once had a grenade thrower killed while on the back swing. The grenade dropped and killed a buddy when it went off.

and how long is their range?

Not really sure they seem to throw them further than I would have thought. Of course considering they can kill the thrower there is added motivation to throw.

also what about throwing them over walls and hedgerows?

Yep. Definitly through and over hedge rows and low walls not sure if I have seen them be thrown over high walls. I do seem to remember a thread about that recently and they were being thrown over the high wall.

A spoiler alert on this would have been nice...

I don't think that it's necessary as the air support the allied forces get is in the briefing.

Just finished this scenario, lost one of my sturmpanzers to an aircraft bomb, it didn't start to burn though so the aircraft kept making strafing runs against a knocked out tank. Got lucky I guess. Although I did suffer around 50% casualties, around half KIA and the other half WIA.

Pewpew, enjoy your videos as well. I echo the crowd that you should issue spoiler alerts up front on both posts and your videos. I had nearly forgotten that you can play the game in 'real time' mode. Most on the boards play WeGo as most are playing against human opponents. For hitting buildings, did you try the 'assault' command? I played through Bear Claws as well, with similar outcome to you. My PzGr squad succeeded in taking a 2 story bldg from US Ranger Squad that I had NOT hit w/ the Brummbar, taking about 3 casualties to do it. I hit them with area fire MG42 from two different directions, and did not let up until the squad was headed in the door. Using the WeGo I set the area fire on the turn of assault to 'target briefly.' They actually chased one Ranger out of the building and one of the Brummbar engaged him at point blank with the main gun, causing one of my supporting squads 2 more casualties!!! War is hell!

After playing the new Bear Claws scenario I found my self painfully frustrated with infantry assaults on buildings.

I don't get it! In this video your Brits assault- and take- several Fallschirmjager infested buildings with no windows:

What went wrong? Pull yourself together, man!

When CMBN first appeared seizing enemy structures was a piece of cake. Then, in a patch, BF beefed up the defensive properties of buildings. Next they vastly enhanced the suppressive power of machine guns, which are pre-eminently defensive weapons. Now it's tough. Life's unfair. ;)

http://www.battlefront.com/community...ad.php?t=82927

I can't seem to get my teams to lob nades into anything, the AI hid a squad behind a corner of one of those really dense Italian towns and my troops just couldn't get to them. The only way was to simple throw a few nades in the general direction but when I ordered my infantry to fire two tiles away they simply shot at the place wasting about 150 rounds.