Wish list for the final release

Just a few thoughts from a long-time player; First, this is a great game with lots of potential, kind of reminds me of the Victory Series board games. Requests... 1.) would it be possible to select multiple units using either "click & drag" boxing or Function key assignment? 2.) how about a "Go-To Unit" hotkey/button ? 3.)terrain contour lines to make LOS assessments from low-view cam angles easier? 4.)first person/unit point-of-view camera? 5.)could you make moving the view more gradient ie., skewing the POV moves too fast/ jumps in too large increments? 6.)polish the graphics a touch (which might help with first-person LOS? Fog of war & real combat coloring of the playing experiece is important to gamers like myself and your game does this very well, congratulations!

11/30... I like the seek hull-down idea a lot!

For all you knee-jerk warriors. if you want Real-Time suffer with the Close Combat series. piper out

12/3... Just showed the Beta Demo to a group of my aging wargamer friends (We all remeber the greatness that was Avalon Hill) & they were quite impressed-- the most common request was for a first-person, camera 1 or 2 GO-TO button for aselected unit...

[This message has been edited by Piper (edited 11-30-99).]

[This message has been edited by Piper (edited 12-03-99).]

I like the seek hulldown request. Absolves the player of having to micromanage the tank's positioning. (That's what Panzerelite is for, afterall) , providing you have sent it to a general area (give or take 20 meters?) where it can achieve a hull down position.

Los

Guest Captain Foobar

correct me if i'm wrong, but can't you just hunt forward? Your tank will stop when he sees the target. And if there currently is not a target, a hull down command might be difficult to implement(meaning, you're only completely hull-down in relation to what you're shooting at).

One other thing I've read here that is going to help,which will be available in the final version, is the ability of tanks to set their own ambush. (i.e. lock target on that Sherman thats about to come into view)

If I've missed your point, or gotten the facts wrong, please let me know.

------------------

"when in doubt, run in circles"

[This message has been edited by Captain Foobar (edited 11-26-99).]

Foobar,

The problem with hunting forward is that if there isn't a target to spot (or your tank fails to spot the enemy) your tank will continue moving until he reaches the waypoint you have selected. The current solution to this is to be very very careful about where you put your waypoint. What I want to do is order a tank to a general area and have it stop when it is hull down. Instead of hunting for the enemy it would hunt for the point where its gun was unmasked.

It's not that you are only hull down to what you are shooting at, you are hull down to a certain facing. Big difference. You can already assign facing which, combined with the direction fo travel already in effect desigantes a sector of responsibility. SO If I click to a spot along my direction of travel that is at an elevation change, and make that a seek hull down comand, then the tank will go to that area and make the necessary adjustments to assure that it is hull down along that facing. Of course if I just click to some spot out in the open and say go down I would probaly jut confuse the AI aince here won't be anyplace within that space to go hull down.

Los

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I would love the game to have real time fighting like close combat<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, for the love of all that is good, NO! BTS, please, never make CM real-time.

-Doug

[This message has been edited by Iguana (edited 11-26-99).]

MAybe BTs could give thought to a realtime version of it whilst still holding on to this style- it would cover a broader market- also it would be nice to have as realistic of a realtime game as possible. In that sense

there is definitely a huge void in the market

all realtime strategies do not nee to be 'clickfests'

SS_PanzerLeader......out

Guest Captain Foobar

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The current solution to this is to be very very careful about where you put your waypoint. What I want to do is order a tank to a general area and have it stop when it is hull down. Instead of hunting for the enemy it would hunt for the point where its gun was unmasked.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Harold, I'm not sure if you read my post completely, It is being said that there will be *ambush options* for tanks. That way, you can "lock" a target, and you won't have to worry about him shooting at infantry until you see him. Again, if there is no target in mind, and you are wanting to tell the tank to generically go hull down, you should do this manually, as there is no way for the AI to know exactly what you want to orient your tank to. Play with the viewpoint down at the lowest POV, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

to advance to the point where the gun is "unmasked" would require a target at a *specific* location to be unmasked to. wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Captain Foobar (edited 11-26-99).]

Foobar,

Will I be able to target the ambush location from behind a hill and then creep up until I have LOS to it? Unless that is the case it really doesn't help much.

What I want to do is have a tank move up to an elevation change such that only enough of the turret is exposed to fire the main gun without a lot of manual intervention. The way I see it working is like this. After the command is issued the player places a waypoint on the terrain feature he wants the tank to go hull down near. After the waypoint is designated a target point is placed. During the action phase the tank will move towards the waypoint until it has a clear line of fire to the target point. If it reaches the waypoint and still doesn't have a clear line of site then it will stop. This will also solve the orientation problem since the tank will orient on the target. I don't expect that it will be as easy to implement as it was to describe, but that's why I suggested it for CM2.

------------------

If something cannot be fixed by hitting it or by swearing at it, it wasn't worth saving anyway.

[This message has been edited by Harold Jones (edited 11-26-99).]

I think it's cool that it's not real time. It gives the game a more thinking aspect than how fast you can turn around in the battlefield giving orders. I think this game really gives you a commanders aspect of the game, the pauses gives you the ability to correct the AI because afterall they're not humans smile.gif

Forgive me if this was already discussed or implemented.

I would like the locked view on a unit to remain locked while the LOS tool is used to see what the unit sees (scan the field of view). That is, I zoom right in there to see what the unit sees, and when I use the line of sight tool to scan the area, the view drops away.

For example, I was playing chance encounter as the Germans and I had a unit in the church on the second floor. I TAB'ed (locked the view on that unit) and zoomed using magnification level two, I believe, wanting to scan the area while maintaining that unit in the lock mode. I activated the LOS tool and when I moved the mouse, the view dropped away.

Thanks and a superb, absolutely brilliant game,

TeAcH

Guest Captain Foobar

howard,

Now that i think about it, it would seem that an ambush command would imply stationary status. I have not yet mastered the use of the hunt feature, and there HAS to be a way to do this sort of tactic in place already, albeit a bit more labor intensive to execute. I have been frustrated on numerous occasions by my tank changing targets right before he crests the hill. Drives me nuts.

But this might not even be what you're talking about , so I'll shut up now.

------------------

"when in doubt, run in circles"

Why is RT so bad? Can't handle the pressure. RT is probably the only realism factor you'll get from a game. The ability to access your situation, prioritize your problems, develope courses of action for each and then implement and revise as needed. What,Patton was out there"OK, Rommel you go have a beer and a wurst its my turn." I don't think so. One of the hardest things to learn is take in info decipher it and use it in a timely and productive manner.

------------------

Allons!!

Well, you must recall that the player is asked to do very much more at once than any officer in any real situation. The player is basically the Sgt. and evey officer on up for all the forces under his command. So it becomes very hard to do all that at once. Particularly under the cm paradigm, which makes precise positioning of every unit, and the resulting tactics, important, rather than the quickly rushing everybody into a huge indecipherable mass tactics of most rts games (excluding myth smile.gif)...

-John

I agree with John. The only way to make an RTS truly playable with realistic tactics, would be to limit us to only what an actual Battalion Commander could do. I for one don't think that would be too much fun. However, I do agree that it would probably be the most realistic way to do it. I buy games primarily for fun though, even if I do want them to be as realistic as possible without sacrificing the fun.

I've always found RTS frustrating. Either it turns into a click fest because things happen to fast to control like you do in a turn-based game, or it's no more involving than watching a movie because you're restricted to the command perspective.