Question about "incapacited soldiers"

Hello !

In the Game Engine Manual 2.0 (P.16 Force-Wide Objectives), we read:

"Dead (KIA) and severely wounded soldiers (not eligible for buddy aid) are counted as «*casualties*» while lightly wounded and incapacited soldiers (eligible for buddy aid) are counted against «*condition*»"

In my mind:

* Dead Soldiers (Brown base with skull-head) are Eligible for Buddy aid (for ammo, but with no resurrection possibility)

* Severely-wounded soldiers (Red base with a cross) are also eligible for Buddy aid (in order to not be counted as KIA after the battle ends)

* Lightly wounded soldiers (yellow Base) are not eligible for Buddy aid

And...Who are "incapacited soldiers" ?

...May be severely wounded soldiers who have received buddy aid ?

I must have misunderstood the term "Eligible for"

Thanks a lot :)

I suspect it's merely word confusion. Dead/dark base soldiers are eligible for "buddy aid" ONLY in that their ammo and weapons MIGHT be collected.

Light base/severely WIA are eligible for BA in that it can prevent them from getting KIA and their ammo and weapons may also be collected.

However, unfortunately AFAIK there are no VP's for saving WIA soldiers from death - I think there should be.

I suspect it's merely word confusion. Dead/dark base soldiers are eligible for "buddy aid" ONLY in that their ammo and weapons MIGHT be collected.

Light base/severely WIA are eligible for BA in that it can prevent them from getting KIA and their ammo and weapons may also be collected.

However, unfortunately AFAIK there are no VP's for saving WIA soldiers from death - I think there should be.

First, let's make sure he's dead:eek: Maybe buddy aid should have a chance of changing a severe wound into a light one. Maybe a small chance only though. And of course arms and ammunition still ollected from the unfortunate casualty/

If a Severely Wounded soldier (red base) receive buddy aid, i think he's counted as "condition" objective but not "casualty" objective. He's "incapacitated soldier".

In this way, Buddy aid can deprive the ennemy of victory points.

It been awhile since I read the manual and some of it hasn't kept pace with developments (look for a manual update/errata pdf file soon), but I believe doing buddy aid on a (red base) wounded soldier increases his chance of survival by 50% or so. When they get spirited off the map that represents stretcher bears whisking him away to the hospital. Doing 'buddy aid' on the (maroon base) dead means someone in his unit comes away with a pack of Wrigley's spearmint gum and some extra folding money. ;) If you try doing buddy aid on a (yellow base) wounded guy you hear cries of "What the heck, man? Get your grubby hands off'a me!"

Maybe buddy aid should have a chance of changing a severe wound into a light one. Maybe a small chance only though.

Make that a 0% chance. A soldier on the battlefield with a severe enough injury to require evacuation to a medical facility is absolutely positively not going to have his medical situation changed by a medic or by a soldier providing basic medical aid. Medical care on the battlefield is about stabilizing the victim until more advanced care can be rendered.

Source: my 6 years of experience as a medic in the Army.

But what if they're highly trained and motivated SS? That's gotta count for something, right?

In this case, in game term, I think the soldier should be considered as "lightly wounded" (able to fight) even if he will probably die after the battle.

Make that a 0% chance. A soldier on the battlefield with a severe enough injury to require evacuation to a medical facility is absolutely positively not going to have his medical situation changed by a medic or by a soldier providing basic medical aid. Medical care on the battlefield is about stabilizing the victim until more advanced care can be rendered.

Source: my 6 years of experience as a medic in the Army.

Fair enough. I guess it depends on how serious the injury is and how determined the soldier is to go on. He might continue with a bad leg wound but not if shot in the stomach or chest. That said you are a professional combat medic who has probably had to do the real thing so I accept I am likely quite wrong on this point.

We don't have any detailed knowledge of the wounding mechanic in the game. It may well be that there are more grades of injury than we see depicted, and a higher motivation soldier will remain active (but tagged yellow) having sustained a nastier wound. Or it may not.

Either road up, it's not "Triage Mission"... :)

I would think that a lightly wounded soldier wirth lower motivaton would be more likely to cower. Particularly if the squad leader is not around to motivate.

That may well (also, if indeed there's more detailed wounding than displayed) be true.

Fair enough. I guess it depends on how serious the injury is and how determined the soldier is to go on. He might continue with a bad leg wound but not if shot in the stomach or chest. That said you are a professional combat medic who has probably had to do the real thing so I accept I am likely quite wrong on this point.

Yes, trust me, I've seen significant battlefield combat casualties. Once you're done, you're out of the fight. BF has modeled this aspect well, IMO.