Gustav Consommé Ready?

Is it soup yet? ;)

Should be close as my pre order itch has me making pizza in anticipation of extended entertainment in Italy:)

Heh. I am giving serious consideration to ordering a calzone for my dinner...or maybe I will just cook up some spaghetti. But either way, yes, spring is in the air, the oregano is blooming, and I have some nice, fresh garlic. So roll on GL!

Michael

Heh. I am giving serious consideration to ordering a calzone for my dinner...or maybe I will just cook up some spaghetti. But either way, yes, spring is in the air, the oregano is blooming, and I have some nice, fresh garlic. So roll on GL!

Michael

Just planted tomatoes here. Looks awfully ambitious. We have these tiny little plants inside 6' texas tomato cages. Talk about optimism. Dinner however was beef cheeks, damned good.

We have plenty of HAWGs n' such here. Us EBR folks...;)

I think I am all out of home made sausages (Home made pizzas) but my country neighbors have plenty of pig & deer parts ... as well as Bass fillets!

Italian-Inspired Ceviche would work for me.... in tribute to GL!

Beverage parings.... " wine, a high-acid white like Sauvignon Blanc, Grüner Vetliner or sparkling wine complements the citrus and fresh fish flavors."

or ...

“A rich, creamy dark stout or bock strips the heat and acid of the ceviche right off the palate.”

All...in anticipation of extended entertainment in Italy of GL?

BF don't keep your fans famished :D

I'll bet you eat chicken faces too!

:D :D :D

Michael

No meat. Beef cheek on the other hand stewed for a few hours is like eating osso buco without having to dig for the meat. Absolute heaven man. If you haven't had it, you don't know what you are missing.

Thanks Buzz, yeah right off the vine, damn I love summer.

No meat. Beef cheek on the other hand stewed for a few hours is like eating osso buco without having to dig for the meat. Absolute heaven man. If you haven't had it, you don't know what you are missing.

Thanks Buzz, yeah right off the vine, damn I love summer.

I was always afraid to eat them because I was never sure which "cheeks" they were.

We are great fans of pig cheeks. Prefer them much more than beef cheek.

Free range pig cheek per kg £4.49 . Enough for three people for a couple of dollars equiv. and a few meals over.

It was a dish of braised pig's cheeks, eaten just before our last bar of the evening closed, that I wanted to bring home to my own kitchen. Dark as night, soft enough to require no knife and served with almost soupy mashed potato, it left me wondering where all our own pig's cheeks go. (Answer: mince.) Even a well-stocked butcher may need a few days' warning, but once you have them in your clutches they are easy to prepare.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2013/feb/03/nigel-slater-pigs-cheeks-recipe

We are great fans of pig cheeks.

Christ, you Brits will eat anything, won't you? Must be a holdover from rationing, eh? Don't throw anything away, right? Had any tripe lately? Chitterlings? How about a nice sheep's bladder?

It's enough to make one a vegan.

Michael

Cheeks are A grade protein. Skeletal muscle. With the benefit that they've been well used by the critter you're noshing, so they have rich, deep flavour and unctuous texture (once you've cooked 'em for 3 hours or more to achieve the necessary alchemy).

You leftpondians with your obsession with prime cuts really don't know what you're missing: might as well be a vegan...

Then again, if people on this side of the water were uniformly unsqueamish, cheeks would be "prime cuts" and wouldn't be any cheaper than chops... It's already happened with shin of beef: used to be an economical cut, but now it's not so much, because its qualities have been recognised.

Cheeks are A grade protein. Skeletal muscle. With the benefit that they've been well used by the critter you're noshing, so they have rich, deep flavour and unctuous texture (once you've cooked 'em for 3 hours or more to achieve the necessary alchemy).

You leftpondians with your obsession with prime cuts really don't know what you're missing: might as well be a vegan...

Then again, if people on this side of the water were uniformly unsqueamish, cheeks would be "prime cuts" and wouldn't be any cheaper than chops... It's already happened with shin of beef: used to be an economical cut, but now it's not so much, because its qualities have been recognised.

Hey, I started this with beef cheeks, it isn't a left ponder problem. Just the squeamish.

Hey, I started this with beef cheeks, it isn't a left ponder problem. Just the squeamish.

'Pologies. It's a common perception over here (fed, of course, by Duh Meedja) that Americans in general don't eat much offal or "secondary" cuts (skirt, neck, tail, and I suppose cheeks :) etc.), or at least the non-prime cuts get turned into ground meat. Is that a misrepresentation, or are you a discerning exception to the general rule?

'Pologies. It's a common perception over here (fed, of course, by Duh Meedja) that Americans in general don't eat much offal or "secondary" cuts (skirt, neck, tail, and I suppose cheeks :) etc.), or at least the non-prime cuts get turned into ground meat. Is that a misrepresentation, or are you a discerning exception to the general rule?

I think that's mostly right, in general: Americans don't want to eat something's face, and we don't want to eat the other end necessarily either, and well, of course not the organs.

But there are lots of exceptions, and if you go to a specialty shop in a larger area, you can get pretty much anything you want - the butcher shop I went to last weekend had just made a big "black" bologna, for example. (Also, blood is usually not popular either...)

Well, if you are going to get all serious and all ( ;) ), I have to admit that I have probably eaten my weight in rump roast, though it's not my favorite by a long shot. I've never had shins, though perhaps smoked ham hocks are somewhat an equivalent. They are outrageously expensive considering that they are about 80% bone and fat, but I wouldn't dream of making pea soup without throwing one or two in. A neighbor of mine roasted a beef heart once and invited me to join him. I found it to be too chewy for my taste, but that's probably not the best way to prepare it. I've hated liver ever since I was a kid and haven't touched it in the last 55 years, but I love braunschweiger; go figure. Never had kidney and am not tempted to do so. Same for all the other viscera. I might be willing to try a tongue sandwich if I were ever in a deli where they knew how to prepare it, but it's not high on my list.

Michael

One of my buddies is Argentinian. He would stop inviting me over if I get too picky and he grills like nobody I have ever known. Good times sitting around his place near Napa with a bottle of wine from some local winery grilling skirt steak and eating it right off the grill as we stand around talking shop or sailing.

Most of the organ meats (or sweetmeats I guess they are called) are not particularly to my liking, but I do like liverwurst and fish liver (kimo in Japanese). An kimo is Monkfish and you will typically see it on your local sushi place menu, Kinky no Kimo though is much better and pretty much impossible to get in the states. Tastes like cheddar.

My wife is teaching me to be a little less picky as well, but yeah Americans are generally funny about meats, but it is by no means uniform. Lots and lots of cultural variations.

I was rather hoping you wouldn't.

:( <— (Me experiencing nausea.)

Michael

But have you tasted it ? It's bloody marvellous.

There's a steak place in town that does a Haggis starter with a whiskey cream sauce. It's awesome.

Personally I hate pepper. Just can't stand that burning taste. But everything seems to have its place, and pepper really works in haggis.