Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Pathfinding bug?

In a CMBN 2.0 scenario I'm playing I encountered this: for some reason a Tiger won't drive through a "gate" in hedge. IMO that should be wide enough and the ground type should allow driving also, but no. Instead the tank goes finding another way around the bocage.

Any idea what could cause this?

v20_tiger_path_finding_zps47c37f96.jpg

CW Normons is the scenario name.

I normally use the tree setting where nearby trees are shown without leaves.

In CMFI some small foliage that i personally wouldnt clasify as 'tree' also disapears with that setting when you are close by with the camera. I dont know exactely how CMBN handles this, but i think it is at least possible that there may be some small foliage blocking your tigers way and you just cant see it with the settings you play with. You could open the scenario file in the editor and check if there is really nothing blocking your path through that specific hedgerow.

Also, could you maybe provide a savegame of the commandphase you took the screenshot from?

I'm not going to open the scenario in Editor because it's a PBEM. Don't want to go peeking all the details while the game is in progress. I did check the place with all trees shown and there is no foliage there higher than maybe 20cm tall (like you see in front of the hedge).

I can send a saved games file to BF developers if they wish.

I'm not going to open the scenario in Editor because it's a PBEM. Don't want to go peeking all the details while the game is in progress. I did check the place with all trees shown and there is no foliage there higher than maybe 20cm tall (like you see in front of the hedge).

Then that could be a dense/heavy forest tile, which would prevent passage.

I tested this: if there's a heavy forest tile and you try to plot a move through that tile, cursor shows you can't move over that tile. So it's not that. Even though the actual tank behaviour is just like with heavy forest tile. It drives to tile next to problem spot and then goes finding a better way.

I think I've found the issue. After a search of the map, I'm pretty sure I found the "gate" you're having difficulty with. Once I found the gate, I went into the editor and found that the underlying terrain beneath the bocage to the right of the gate is "Heavy Woods". The terrain below the bocage on the left is "Light Woods".

I ran a test with the terrain as it designed. The first time it approached the gate, the Tiger balked and turned to the left, driving up over the bocage on the left. When the turn was over, I replotted the move through the gate and the Tiger drove off in search of another route.

I went back into the editor and changed the "Heavy Woods" square to "Light Woods" and re-ran the test. The Tiger drove through with no issues.

To test it again, I edited the square back to "Heavy Woods" and tried again. The Tiger approached the gate, slowed and turned around 180 degrees. At the end of that turn, I cancelled the move and replotted with the movement line somewhat toward the left edge of the gate. This time, the Tiger slowed and lurched several times, driving up over the edge of the bocage to the left, but did manage to force its way through the opening...

CMNormandy2013-02-11_zps2013cab0.jpg

There's no reason I can see from the editor that the Tiger shouldn't pass through the opening. The underlying terrain at the "gate" is "Dirt". The only reason I could see for the tank not wanting to pass through is because of some overlap from the Heavy Woods which, of course, vehicles are not permitted to enter. But, someone with more understanding of how the terrain works with regard to adjacent action squares would have to confirm this.

Is it a bug??? I dunno, but I do see that it could be annoying :eek:

Like I just said, it is bug (introduced in 1.11) that will be addressed in 2.01.

akd... Like I said in my edit... you answered the question while I was looking into this and typing my response