Stupid question about mp

what is PBEM? and im not a fan of the email thing

I just said it, "Play By E-mail". ;)

Don't let the word "e-mail" fool you. I have used skype, ftp and ssh for sending the file (not even once have I used e-mail). Besides, who really wants to sit and wait for the opponent to make his micromanagement?

Haven't used H2HH myself, but it was pretty easy when my opponent sent the file through SSH directly to my save game folder... Can't get much easier than that. ;)

Well, if someone else does the work, ok. But I doubt you will find many opponents willing to do that. And for ssh your machine has actually to be ON at that moment.

For PBEM use Dropbox + H2HH. Forget everything else. Really.

Get yourself a Dropbox account. It's free for 2Gb and that's more than you need.

Search the forum on how to get H2HH and how to use it.

This combo beats every other solution.

^^^

This.

PBEM is a carryover term. In reality you're sharing files. So, "SHaring The File" may be better: SHTF. ;)

H2HH is not necessary, but it simplifies and automates a lot. Highly recommended.

well i read the 2.0 engine has pausable real time mp So shouldnt we be able to pause it and move our stuff? is there some option i have to select?

In the game selection menu, the options are "2 Player" and "Real Time". Or somesuch.

Then you two need to exchange TCP/IP addresses. These can be obtained by submitting a TCP/IP Address Requisition Form 3A, in duplicate, to your IT department, any Friday, between 1:00 and 1:10 in the conference room (if otherwise unoccupied.)

Or, you can type "ipconfig" at a command line prompt. (If unfamiliar, search "ipconfig".)

However, that rarely works, unless your computer is directly hooked up to the internet. A diagram:

Your Computer-----internet-------Opponent Computer

In the case, above, both computers have a unique TCP/IP address. ipconfig gives it, now both computers can find the other in the vast mess which is the internet.

Usually, though, in the modern age, your hookup looks like this:

Your Comp----Local Router----Cable Modem----internet---->

(Instead of "Cable Modem", maybe you have a DSL router, or satellite dish. Whatever.)

The "issue" is that the first device on your side of the internet, cable modem, has a unique TCP/IP address. Then it creates "proxy" addresses, usable only on your side of that connection. All anyone from the internet can see is the Cable Modem. If you type "ipconfig" for your computer, that only matters if someone is hooked up DIRECTLY into your local router. It's great for LAN parties, but won't work for internet gaming.

See how complex it's getting?

A program called "Hamachi" will get the game working.

Others can help more.

Ken

Don't have the answer to your last question as my schedule (and real life) don't really give me time to set aside for real time 2 player games, but here is a good link to get you going with H2HH and Dropbox for the PBEM. It explains everything pretty well. Like they said, don't be put off by the name Email. That's just a name holdover from the older series where you actually did email files. With Dropbox and H2HH it all happens automatically when you hit save, and the H2HH interface notifies you that it is your turn.

http://www.theblitz.org/message_boards/showthread.php?tid=61497

Also there is a thread on the forum here for Dropbox v2.5 that you can use to request a link to download it.

The combination of the two works like a charm. I already had Dropbox that I use to keep work on my university and home computers in sync. It's great and works flawlessly. H2HH is well supported and the author is on the forum regularly. Both free.

Good luck.

Dave

In the game selection menu, the options are "2 Player" and "Real Time". Or somesuch.

Then you two need to exchange TCP/IP addresses. These can be obtained by submitting a TCP/IP Address Requisition Form 3A, in duplicate, to your IT department, any Friday, between 1:00 and 1:10 in the conference room (if otherwise unoccupied.)

Or, you can type "ipconfig" at a command line prompt. (If unfamiliar, search "ipconfig".)

However, that rarely works, unless your computer is directly hooked up to the internet. A diagram:

Your Computer-----internet-------Opponent Computer

In the case, above, both computers have a unique TCP/IP address. ipconfig gives it, now both computers can find the other in the vast mess which is the internet.

Usually, though, in the modern age, your hookup looks like this:

Your Comp----Local Router----Cable Modem----internet---->

(Instead of "Cable Modem", maybe you have a DSL router, or satellite dish. Whatever.)

The "issue" is that the first device on your side of the internet, cable modem, has a unique TCP/IP address. Then it creates "proxy" addresses, usable only on your side of that connection. All anyone from the internet can see is the Cable Modem. If you type "ipconfig" for your computer, that only matters if someone is hooked up DIRECTLY into your local router. It's great for LAN parties, but won't work for internet gaming.

See how complex it's getting?

A program called "Hamachi" will get the game working.

Others can help more.

Ken

You can always google "What's my IP?" Then go to that site to view your IP.

In Windows 7, I've managed to find my IP by going into the Control Panel, Network and Internet, Network and Sharing Center, then looking down on the middle right side. You should see a "Access type: Internet" beneath which would be a clickable "Local Area Connections". If you select that a small window will pop up, then click "Details" and a screen will pop up that has "Network Connection Details". There will be several things listed "IP Address", "IP Default Gateway", "IP DHCP Server", and "IP DNS Server". One of those is the IP address you would use to run the game.