Romanians and others

No Romanians in the Army Group Center area. If I recall correctly there was a Hungarian Cavalry and Security division, mostly fighting Partisans. Once upon a time Steve said they wouldn't do any Axis Minor Armies on the Ost Front again other than the Finns, saying the demand to play them wasn't worth the work it took to include them, but he later hedged on this leaving open the possibility we might see them. If that would be in the 1944 Family or an earlier Family is any one's guess.

He also said they would never ever go back to the Mediterranean, and then boom CMFI. I absolutely loved playing as all the various minor nations in CMBB. It's entirely understandable that we won't see that kind of variety of choices again, simply due to the higher level of detail in CMx2, but it would be great to see a few thrown in at some point. Even if in a somewhat limited amount like the Poles and Canadians in CMCW. Having a few basic formations for Romanians/Hungarians can open up a lot of room for mods/scenarios down the road.

He also said they would never ever go back to the Mediterranean, and then boom CMFI.

I only remember seeing aversion to going back to the desert, which could easily be extrapolated to "CMAK", and hence "the Med", but I thought it was specifically the North African campaigns that they were unwilling to revisit.

Ah I think we'll end up seeing all the minor Axis nations. After all they DID do Sicily, and they DID do Italians. Even doing the Italians for Sicily would make one suppose that it'd be easier to add them later to the Ost titles.

They did it before with CMx1 and I think we'll see them again. I mean look at CMBN also - it's not as if they just did Brits/US/Germans. They could easily have done British troops and not bothered with Poles, French, Canadians and just told people to mod it or use their imagination when playing as them. I think we'll see partisans too.

As Mike pointed out, it's difficult to make assumptions about BFC but I would think CM Touch helped Battlefront be able to do other projects, as most of the Touch programming was done by a third party and the increased revenue from Touch probably enabled them to do more than just the most popular subjects.

Well people aren't really asking for it. They said they wouldn't mind it or be opposed. With the love of history here I'm sure you'd find willing customers for any war ever.

That being said I don't think anyone wants N Africa anywhere near as much as the Ost, Bulge, or SF2. Mind you I would actually like N Africa, and I don't even necessarily mean the AK vs Brit 8th Army, I mean Tunisia, etc.

But Wodin is right, the reason given was CMAK's poor performance sales wise - I won't lie thats the one CM I never bought - but I do think it was actually a combination of the engine being too dated at that point AND the theater. I think BFC agrees, I remember Steve saying a few months ago CMAK should never have been done in hindsight.

Why are they so unwilling to do north africa?

Unwillingness has nothing to do with it. What work does BFC have already lined up for the future? Three new titles, perhaps a string of a dozen modules and packs, maybe more? In that recent article BFC was described as having 'almost a dozen employees' (I loved the insertion of that word 'almost' :)). Steve can't exactly wander into the west wing of the sprawling BFC office complex and assemble a fresh team to start work on a North Africa title.

Why are they so unwilling to do north africa? North africa seems like a popular enough front i mean i would buy it.. forgive me im new to cm

I thought there was a measure of "desert fatigue" setting in, too. With AK and SF back-to-back, they must be sick of the sight of palm trees and sand...

But Wodin is right, the reason given was CMAK's poor performance sales wise - I won't lie thats the one CM I never bought - but I do think it was actually a combination of the engine being too dated at that point AND the theater. I think BFC agrees, I remember Steve saying a few months ago CMAK should never have been done in hindsight.

Personally, I don't believe the theater was the problem. Weak execution was. Seems to me that it was a bit of a hurried one-off to squeeze one more title out of the CMx1 engine before that was shut down and work begun on the new engine. I bought it eagerly, but felt a little let down by it. Not saying it was a piece of crap, it wasn't close to that. But it felt to me like it didn't get quite the loving attention that it should have.

I think BFC should weigh their hearts. If they are prepared to really dig into the topic and make a go of it, they could produce a winner for sure. The elements are there for the picking. But anything they aren't willing to commit their hearts and souls to they should simply stay away from. (Which BTW is why I don't expect to see a Pacific game...at least any time this decade.)

Michael

CMAK was great for what it was at the time - a module in a series of great games although a bit dated ...... and EVERYTHING that would have followed after the groundbreaking and fantastic epic scale CMBB would have been doomed for failure IMO.

Just imagine CMSF coming out after CMBB with the old CMx1 engine - it would have sold far less than CMAK did.

I love the desert fighting because it is where tanks really can shine and nothing like a good sandstorm and dunes ....... long range 88 duels ... ahhhh

There were some CMAK campaigns/battles on the german paratroopers on crete that were absolutely AMAZING to play ! Maleme me thinks one was called ? Especially PBEM !

CMAK is and was vastly underrated ...... the only CMx1 game that let me down was CMBO .... as I was getting this after I had CMBB - what a letdown !

I know the feeling, but for a different reason. I think the first serious book about the war I ever read was The Rommel Papers, and that set me down a road I've never turned from. NA is just so damned interesting! What a perfect arena: the tactician's dream, the logician's nightmare. So many nationalities and yet the total forces were so small that one can hold them all in one's imagination. Lots of oddball units and improvisations. And all in country that has its own desolate and exotic beauty. What's not to like? I mean other than the sand and flies and lack of drinkable water and women?

Michael