toggle setup zone or setup zone mod?

There's no way to toggle them. There might be a mod. One which just draws the boundaries of the area would be great. I don't know that it's accessible to modding though, or there'd probably be one for Covered Arcs too, and I'm fairly sure there isn't. Would be mighty pleased to be corrected about that though... :)

is there a way to toggle setup zones. they hurt my eyes and especially in low light conditions it makes it hard to study the terrain. or maybe there is a mod which makes setup zones more transparent?

I agree. That is a feature, I´ve missed too - for the same reasons.

I was thinking about this just the other day. Yes, and combined with low-light missions, it can be a bit much. I have loved playing the Devil's Descent campaign, but i am ready to play something besides low-light condition missions. Turning up the brightness and contrast is zapping my eyes!