Demo

Im thinking about buying this game when i get paid this week because there arnt many good wwII games that have italians in them. I like rts games but i normally dont play these kind of games... I have been playing the demo for hrs but my troops keep getting killed before i even see the enemy.. I need some tips or a really good tutorial for starters :D I love the detail in this game and the idea of it. I normally play men of war and men of war AS i know this game is totally different So i was hoping you guys could help me get into it thanks! ;)

There are a lot of good videos on youtube (see the link to armchair general above - its CMBN but appllies to CMFI, too).

Also the Italians are difficult to play and tend to die a lot. I suggest you start with the US side. And what pixie said: Haste kills.

honestly i have no interest in playing as the US i normally only like to play as soviets or any axis forces in ww2 games. Well what is an effective way for spotting enemies? i have tried moving infantry up slowly and in woods and stuff but that doesnt seem to work :confused: also i have seen screens of tank commanders turned out of their turrets how do you do this? and does it gives tanks better view?

honestly i have no interest in playing as the US i normally only like to play as soviets or any axis forces in ww2 games. Well what is an effective way for spotting enemies? i have tried moving infantry up slowly and in woods and stuff but that doesnt seem to work :confused:

Most straightforward is "recon by death." Break off a pair of scout teams and move them forward in bounds, wherever they die, that is where you have enemy contact.

also i have seen screens of tank commanders turned out of their turrets how do you do this? and does it gives tanks better view?

Go to the "SPECIAL" (S) menu and select "Open Up." There is no hotkey assigned by default, as far as I can recall.

Are there any eastern front combat missions besides barbarossa to berlin? I tried the demo and it is not as nice as fortress italy

Not yet. Later this year there will be a Eastern Front game centered around Operation Bagration, the Red Army's liberation of Belarussia and eastern Poland, using the same engine as Fortress Italy.

...there is soo much to learn.

That is true. The initial learning curve is more like a vertical step. Be prepared to spend a lot of time on the beginning process. Actually, you might do better to start off with CMBN as it has a nice tutorial to ease you into some of the basics. What would be good is if the game came with an intermediate level tutorial as well that could introduce you to basic tactics and how they apply in the game. Fortunately, as has already been mentioned, such things do exist on Youtube, the drawback there being that they are not interactive. Still, better than nothing...

Michael

There are a lot of good videos on youtube (see the link to armchair general above - its CMBN but appllies to CMFI, too).

Also the Italians are difficult to play and tend to die a lot. I suggest you start with the US side. And what pixie said: Haste kills.

Here is the Armchair General video specific to commanding Italians.

The whole series can be found at http://www.armchairgeneral.com/combat-mission-battle-for-normandy-tactics-a-video-series

This really is a computer wargame, not a video game about war; the two are very different experiences. Good video games entertain well. Good wargames explore and teach military science well. If the latter suits you, CMBfN and CMFI are two of the very best around! Hope you enjoy. "CM Ostfront" is in the works for 2014. Good luck and good gaming.

Here is the Armchair General video specific to commanding Italians.

The whole series can be found at http://www.armchairgeneral.com/combat-mission-battle-for-normandy-tactics-a-video-series

This really is a computer wargame, not a video game about war; the two are very different experiences. Good video games entertain well. Good wargames explore and teach military science well. If the latter suits you, CMBfN and CMFI are two of the very best around! Hope you enjoy. "CM Ostfront" is in the works for 2014. Good luck and good gaming.

Wargame or not it seems to be very entertaining I will watch these tutorials, and try to get decent at the game. Does combat mission battle for normandy have the real time option aswell? Im not really into the turn based thing it is odd imo. Also i wanted to ask why do the games have such a high price? is it due to quality?

Wargame or not it seems to be very entertaining I will watch these tutorials, and try to get decent at the game. Does combat mission battle for normandy have the real time option aswell? Im not really into the turn based thing it is odd imo. Also i wanted to ask why do the games have such a high price? is it due to quality?

The price is more or less normal for a full game, at least from the pre-iStore and pre-Steam days. But basically the price is set according to what it costs to develop.

Yeah, CMBN (and CMSF (that's shock force - modern warfare in a fictional NATO invasion of Syria circa 2005)) all have real time and turn based options.

Also i wanted to ask why do the games have such a high price?

See, most of us who like the games will play them for hundreds of hours, if not more. Figured that way, the price is quite modest. For those on a tight budget, I realize that the up front cost may represent a serious chunk of your entertainment allotment. But then, you won't have to go to the movies for a year or two, so think of all the dinero you will be saving in the end.

:D

Michael

i just watched he armchair Fortress italy video that you guys linked me and it was epic. :D Even though im awful at the game i think that video sold it for me

Well, my job here is done for today then. Time for beer.

You won't regret your purchase, lordhedgwich. Good luck and good gaming!

one more question how do the theatre of war games compare to combat mission games?

Hmmm...Theatre of War compared to Combat Mission is what Theatre of War is compared to Company of Heroes. I had played all Theatre of War titles before i started playing Combat Mission and i find that the CMx2 series do simulate combat much better than the ToW games do, especially infantry behaviour is outstandingly credible in terms of realism IMO.

oh also is there a tutorial for basic functions like using arty and morters and scouting. I need one for a friend

This tutorial treats all basic stuff:

From what i have heared the ingame tutorials and the manual also contain lots of info, you should read them.

How to spot enemy troops without giving away your position.

Slip up behind some kind of concealing terrain; in this game that might be hedges or walls. Keep still, maybe even use hide for a turn or two. That will keep you from being spotted. Then unhide and just let them keep their eyes peeled for a turn or three. Helps if they have binoculars or are specialized scout or sniper units.

How to best use arty and at inf stuff like that

Use arty to kill or suppress enemy units that you can't kill with infantry firepower, or kill fast enough. Infantry heavy weapons and AT guns make fruitful targets.

Arty can also be very useful in laying smokescreens when you need to move through zones that the enemy is likely to have under observation and fields of fire when there is no concealing terrain you can use.

Michael

How to spot enemy troops without giving away your position.

Don't get in a big hurry you have more time than you think. With this said I actually think its better for a beginner to play WEGO until they get a feel for the games flow and pace.

When playing RT I have a tendency to plot longer movement paths which usually means one group is moving while I'm focusing on another group. This usually results in unwanted casualties. Use caution while moving especially before making contact. After the shooting starts and your able to develop the situation, you can get bolder and more aggressive with your moves.

IMO RT play is better suited for something like COH or Total War type games. A game that has the tactical fidelity of CMx2 is better played in WEGO in all but the smallest of engagements.

Go to the "SPECIAL" (S) menu and select "Open Up." There is no hotkey assigned by default, as far as I can recall.

The hotkey for "Open Up/Button Up" is "]". I tend to use it a lot depending on distance from enemy forces and whether the armour is closing in or doing overwatch support.

Jyri