New file at the Repository: Bruton (2013-01-28)

The full description is below. I made this map a long time ago but have only just been persuaded to release it. I am tempted to call it 'unique' in its scope if not its size but I would be happy to be proven wrong :D

There is a small issue with pathfinding from a 'strategic' courtyard in town but otherwise it runs fine (if your computer can handle it!). Full description is below:

A huge (2.8x2.7km) map based on the picturesque town of Bruton in the South-West of England. The map incorporates the town of Bruton itself (population 3000) as well as surrounding hamlets and farms and the river Brue which lends its name to the town.

The countryside is rolling hills and farmland which makes using tanks a challenge and the large size of the map means that infantry movement will be slow, especially given that every hedgeline and village could prove to be an ambush in waiting.

This map has no AI plans and has been created with QBs in mind. The attacking force will need to be a battalion+ to realistically have a chance of clearing the town and both heavy artillery support and a lot of ammo trucks are recommended.

Just by way of disclaimer, this map is 100% realistic and therefore there is no 'gamey' tricks to make the action happen faster or to provide options where there were none before. As a result, any battle here will be a long, combined arms operation which will require a lot of patience! On the other hand, this offers a perfect example of how bloody and logistically demanding clearing a town can bein the real world.

Thank you all for your kind comments! I would also be interested to hear from anyone who has a game on it too to see how it plays.

Buzz, I did indeed spend some years of my childhood there and still return occasionally. It is a fantastically beautiful town in real life with a really nice community too so I was very lucky.

hcrof, What a fortunate childhood opportunity.Your attention to detail made it "a fantastically beautiful town" in CMBN. Thanks.

I would also be would also be interested to hear from anyone who has a game on it too to see how it plays... and their system specs. A less patient lad may have not waited almost 8 minutes to load "just a map". Add units and what not and you see where it goes. A shame IMO as the map is beautifully detailed of reality.

Thanks again and my your luck continue.

I tried to test this just now. I had 3 CMBN "not responding" messages and had to force quit your beautiful town hcrof! It took a while to load the other PM but won't load in the editor to test it as a game. Certainly not the last time I will give it a go. I will let you know how it works out. May be a Mac moon phase on my end or something:rolleyes:

hcrof,

Thank you again for your stunning Bruton map. I tried again at least 5 times in editor and as a "scenario" and I keep getting CMBN/CW crashes. At 1.4 MB file it should not do this. It could be me or my rig but wanted to let you know what is happening on my Mac side.

hcrof, Did anyone else have trouble loading your Bruton map? I am stumped as to why I could only load it once in the editor and since then I have to force quit CMBN/CW because it stops responding. Happens @ 43% mark. I see swings of over 300% CPU, with real & virtual memory of 1.4GB range each but Bruton map continues to crash. I went back and put settings to balanced, no AA and still 43% crash. Bruton map is 1.4 MB but there are several QB maps that come with CMBN up to 1.6 MB that I have no trouble opening and playing.

Again, Thanks for the beautiful map. Hope you have a tip on how / what to do to use it.

Thanks,

Hi Buzz, I am afraid that I am not really technical enough to answer your question properly but as far as I am aware, CM is not perfect at clearing the virtual memory so if you open up anything before a large map like this one it will not clear the memory properly and you will get an out of memory error.

Other than that I am a bit stumped as to why you could open it up once but not again, it seems quite strange. Maybe someone more knowlegable than me could help out?

Thank you hcrof. You are more technically adept than myself I am sure... especially in map design. I hope someone else may have a path to follow. If not I will tinker away to see if I can get your Bruton map up and fightable on my Mac.

A bump hoping someone can guide me to a solution.

Bruton map. 1.4MB w/o units. I could only load it once in the editor (took almost 8 minutes) but since then I have to force quit CMBN/CW because it stops responding. Happens @ 43% mark. I see swings of over 300% CPU, with real & virtual memory of 1.4GB range. I put graphics settings to balanced, no AA and still 43% crash. There are several QB maps that come with CMBN up to 1.6 MB with units that I have no trouble opening and playing. I even removed the Z folder and all mods but this did not help.

Mac Pro with 18GB of memory. ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 MB graphics.

I should be able to open the Bruton map and place units on it.

Thanks,

• 9 years later...