Code version vs. Shock Force / CM 2

Hi,

All versions of CMX2, including Afghanistan are very similar.

Having said that all the WWII versions and of course future versions are going to be v2.0 of the engine which as you would expect does have some improvements.

CM Afghanistan is the same version of the engine as CM Shock Force. It was developed under licence by a Russian team using the CM Shock Force engine.

All the best,

Kip.

Did the Shock Force engine get any upgrades/fixes that never got patched into Afghanistan?

I believe they are actually quite close, if not identical too each other (and different from the WW2 games). There are less patches for CMA, but that's because it came out after CMSF.

To be sure, you could check the patch release notes. Have fun!

CMA can be viewed as being between CMSF and CMBN...kinda. CMA has a few things CMSF didn't have; Water (not as good as CMBN's), snow terrain, tanks can crash through low walls (as already mentioned), some tanks use the Drozd anti RPG system, The Muj have a plethora of weapons from Brens to PPSH-41 to M-16s, and units can fire from within vehicles through apertures.

It's a very cool addition to CM and really fun. It's got a dark undercurrent to it which I really like. Worth getting if you don't already own it.

Mord.

Is it just me are are the MG gunners a little more murder minded in their gunning too? Not the AKs and such they shoot all over the place but the lmg mmg and hmg's. And Drozd is really neat.

You mean accuracy-wise? Or pure lethality? I suspect the lack of body armour has something to do with it (and cover as well).

I think it's just the atmosphere messin with your perception. However you REALLY see what everyone's commenting on with our troops in Afghanistan getting M14s back - put some Soviets in one building with AK74s and put Muj with just SMLE rifles in another. The Soviets got them hands down right? Well they would except those 5.56 rounds bounce off the buildings and those rifle bullets go right thru em.

CM:A is woefully underdone for the CM community. Hard to get a game, hard to get mods or new battles =( No more support... =(

CM:A is like a cult game in a niche community. I love it, might even be my favorite of them all, but there is very little community activity for this title. I love the time period, my absolute favorite to wargame. The weapons are lethal, but the optics aren't evolved like in Shock Force, making fights all the more lethal. Great fun, great fun!

Thirded.

I actually think it's my favorite of the bunch too and I do wish there was more community support/life.

I just love the theater, the forces, the weapons and the ambience. Like what was said, it's just a really fun time period and atmosphere to play in.

I wish more would get into it as there is so much potential here. If only I had time to learn how to make maps and scenarios. I think the possibilities for the long time period and OOBs is endless.

CM games are like automobiles. There are earlier models and later models, some have added chrome and fancy accessories. But like any car, they all drive pretty much the same and they get you where you want to go. Forget about fancy bump map shading and rainfall graphics, if you have an overpowering urge to fight Soviet mechanized infantry vs Mujahideen insurgents in 1980 this is where you go to get your fix. Sure, the title may not be everlasting and ever-expanding but how many other developers game titles are still supported 2 1/2 years later? Its still worth the bucks just for the gameplay.